I'm using an alt account to ask this: Why is Mateo always so rude to users asking questions? He always acts superior and rude to new members trying to learn. Seems kinda mean.
Right? That Mateo sure is one heck of a jerk. He just calls everyone an idiot.
this was worse then the logan paul ksi fight
I assume you are a newer user, and you have to understand that some people have a dry sense of humor. Also Mateo is an admin so he has to deal with a lot of new users who oftentimes have similar, very annoying and repetitive behavior. It is easy to see how a person could get fed up with that. For example, necroposting and asking stupid questions that are answered if people take the time to read through the resources and threads that are on this website. It is not someone else's job to do the work for you. I also get annoyed when I see people do this sort of stuff. If you haven't tried a simple Google search, using a wiki, or reading the plentiful threads on the site, you shouldn't be asking a question here. So a word of advice is to just think before you type and take the things that people say to you as constructive criticism, even if they come off as harsh. Once you are around the forum for a longer time you will get to know everyone better and realize that they really aren't mean people.
You could just ask Mateo directly rather than posting on a forum... But hey; I don't mind Razz

Yes, I can be a jerk, it's true. But I'll always try to offer help or a solution. I don't just say "hey you're stupid" and then do nothing. Even if you are being stupid. Which is a whole other story.
MateoConLechuga wrote:
Yes, I can be a jerk, it's true. But I'll always try to offer help or a solution. I don't just say "hey you're stupid" and then do nothing. Even if you are being stupid. Which is a whole other story.
It's also quite possible to be short with people and point them at existing resources while being less overtly hostile than you tend to be. Your general communication style reminds me of Torvalds; perhaps there's a further example to be followed.
I apologize for being a jerk. After awhile; it gets hard to constantly have to meet new members when the others vanish. I'll definitely try to be more welcoming this upcoming year. Sorry if I've been rude to you all.
Ok, thanks. Also, I'm not new, Just saw a change. Sorry for calling you out. In hindsight should have just pmed.
This is the dumbest thread I've ever seen
Dumber than Adidas?
dankcalculatorbro wrote:
Also Mateo is an admin so he has to deal with a lot of new users who oftentimes have similar, very annoying and repetitive behavior.

First off, he's not an official admin.
From what I've seen, he only says mean things about people's code or things related to said code. When it comes to code, he knows what he's talking about so if he says you did something stupid, you probably did.
Tari wrote:
MateoConLechuga wrote:
It's also quite possible to be short with people and point them at existing resources while being less overtly hostile than you tend to be. Your general communication style reminds me of Torvalds; perhaps there's a further example to be followed.

I agree. Probably not the best person to post this.

EDIT: Who knew that a simple calculator could cause drama?
I named my rival in Pokemon Silver, MATEO. Mateo a few months later complimented my game in progress. Than I restarted my game and changed my rival's name to RIVAL. Laughing
In my experience, Mateo can be a bit cross when he feels you are asking him instead of trying to put the effort into figuring out your question yourself. Some people are a bit more guarding of their time and aren't going to take kindly to being asked a question that *can* be answered by doing a bit of reading or experimenting. The motiff of Cemetech has always been to encourage users to be formal, do their due diligence, and to only ask when they have to.

However, we all need to remember the flip side... this is that as our own skills increase, our gauge of what a "dumb question" is changes to match our skill level. We see things as obvious that once formerly confused us, and shaft new learning programmers by expecting their questions to conform to our idea of what an "educated question" is. Remember that the learning curve for programming is fairly steep when starting out, and also remember that many of us would not be where we are if we did not start out asking "dumb" questions, and were subsequently snapped at by someone more skilled than ourselves.
To be honest, I was often against being rude to newcomers (specifically the ones with 1, 5 or let's say 10 posts and with no history of activity elsewhere in the TI community) because of how difficult it was to retain users and attract new ones and the fact they might not take calculators seriously enough to be willing to deal with said rude behavior or dry humor. However, I totally understand that some impatient users repeatedly fail to do their homework before asking questions (something that can also be seen as rude by people trying to help others) and this inevitably results into rudeness, regardless of the website.

On the other hand, anyone being rude should expect that the response might be equally as rude or worse sometimes, if the original rudeness is seen as unfair by the receiving person (regardless of if it's unfair or deserved).

There might be other circumstances as well that might result into the rudeness being taken the wrong way, (for example, I suffer from asperger's syndrome, schizo-affective disorder and since last year I also got harrasment-induced posttraumatic stress disorder, so I can no longer participate in heated discussions in chat rooms and I have been forced to move to a different city literally overnight).
I can only speak from my limited recent experience. Mateo gave me a very helpful and courteous reply that was much appreciated.

I did wait until he had his morning coffee before asking though.
It seems like Mateo is mean. But he probably does this for a reason. I didn't know what I was doing with my mac when I tried installing CEdev toolchain from the command line. Help was wanted, still do (kind of, just gave up). But that was in the past. Maybe we all should've had a new years resolution of changing our own attitude about others. This is the only was as us Americans to have dignity, pride in ourself, and the pride that we were nice and kept on keeping on with helping someone. I almost 17. Do not expect me to do everything right, but programming is my thing, not computers. These things are so frustrating but I cannot really complain because at least Mateo took a while and tried to help when I was not a priority. I was not important because there are other people in the community that need more help than I ever do.
I think this entire page is ridiculous. Mateo was really nice to me. I reached out to him requesting a new feature for the OIRAM editor (the passcode feature) and being the busy guy he is, he responded and took the time to make a new version. If he was a purely "mean" person, he never would have done that. As for his comments, if Mateo says that a project will never work, you're probably not going to be able to make it, so take his advice and move on to another project. He's probably tried it if he has a strong opinion about it.
Mateo's kind of like the Gordom Ramsay of the programming community... he'll scream at you that your code is raw and repeatedly ask you where the RAM sauce is until you find it, but at the end of the day, he'll take the time to help you if you're putting in the effort and is a genuinely good-hearted person.
ACagliano wrote:
Mateo's kind of like the Gordom Ramsay of the programming community... he'll scream at you that your code is raw and repeatedly ask you where the RAM sauce is until you find it, but at the end of the day, he'll take the time to help you if you're putting in the effort and is a genuinely good-hearted person.

But your code is RAW! BINARY! What kind of 1998 TI-BS code is this?!?!?!?!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours