Just what it is, I'll attempt on making this work, I have right now a fuel rod health display that changes proportionally to the position of the control rods (if the rods are <5% open, nothing will happen as of now), and the rods can be opened 0-100%
I'll probably implement temperature and power generation (independent of one another), and just make the power output a score of some sort, unless you guys have any other ideas...

How it works: http://www.world-nuclear.org/nuclear-basics/how-does-a-nuclear-reactor-make-electricity.aspx

I'll be working on this with school and all, so it will be a bit slow.

Post ****RELEVANT**** questions/suggestions here, if anyone asks how a reactor works... idk what the mods will do Razz

Features
(1.4+) = Features available on Version 1.4.0 and above.

• Control Rods can be opened. moved 0-100%
  • Reactor heats up as the control rods remain open
  • Cooling can be used to bring the rate of heating down
  • If the reactor overheats, bad things will start to happen
  • Reactor health & meltdowns (1.4+)
  • You need to buy fuel rods...
  • Upgrades!
  • In-game controls menu
  • Saving and loading
  • Save list versions, incompatible versions are automatically deleted (1.4+)
  • Auto Control (1.6+)

click the "radiation" symbol...
DOWNLOAD HERE:
How does a reactor work? Evil or Very Mad

What types of things can we manipulate?
~ReleaseThejcgter777CatchingBots

Currently, you can only manipulate the position of the control rods, I'll probably make it so you can manipulate cooling pumps, and you'll have to buy fuel, possibly with "points" by running said reactor. The less points you have, the less fuel you'll be able to buy, I might work in an upgrade system...

I literally though of this while looking at half-life problems in my Calculus textbook Razz
So you guys have any suggestions for what things can be manipulated?

At this point, I'll take some suggestions on gameplay/ how you guys think it should be to make it easier or more challenging, etc.
Anyone?

tbh, it's done, but still needs an intro screen... I may or may not release it, depending on the number of consecutive posts by me in this thread. I do have more plans for the next version so... yeah.

Beta tester requests are appreciated, PM me, don't post please! (closed beta/ private beta for now, the code is surprisingly fast, for my style...)
I don't really have anything to request since I don't know much about nuclear reactors, go figure. Rolling Eyes
I'd like to see a release of it, it sound like a neat management program!
And here I was, getting ready to put [Paused due to lack of community interest?] in the title...

Don't worry about the reactor workings thing, I made a readme that'll basically tell you how to do it.

I'm in the process of adding a condensed version to the game, along with an intro screen. It's all done in CAPITAL letters, for sake of size, and the fact that I didn't really like the look of lowercase letters on the graph screen Razz Kinda hard to do considering the game itself is ~2350 bytes Razz I expect it to be ready hopefully in the next few weeks...
While I'm waiting for people who asked me to bugtest to do their tests, any more feature suggestions?
And any more people who want to bugtest? WARNING: I'll give you just the game, like a friend putting it on your calc. Based on how/ if you figure it out, I may or may not add a strategies menu

NOTE: My programmers utility pack won't be included in the beta, but will be in the final, so bugtesters:
go here: http://www.cemetech.net/programs/index.php?mode=file&path=/84pce/basic/programs/Programmersutilitypack.zip

List of features:
    Fuel rod replacement temp
    energy generated per tick (loop iteration) multipliers
    Upgrades for fuel rod/ reactor max temp
    Interesting things happen when FuelRodMaxTemp<=Temp<=ReactorMaxTemp
Now hiring: beta testers for my new program!
Starting salary is $0, with fun included!

This job provides an excuse to game on your calculator!

To apply: PM SM84CE on Cemetech.net
Application acceptance rate: 9001%

*SM84CE Corp. takes no responsibility for damages, consequences, etc. of on-calc gaming.
Addiction may occur. Proceed with caution.
***SM84CE RUUUNNNSSSSS
One Request: Can I play as Homer Simpson?

This sounds really awesome!
Umm... had to look that up, but sure. One thing... You probably wouldn't be that successful, though... PM me if you want to try it (the normal way and the not normal way Razz)
For those not in the know, Homer Simpson is a character in the show "The Simpsons" and for his day job he's a Nuclear Reactor Safety Inspector. Homer is characteristically dumb and clumsy, which also means is pretty bad at his job. One episode has alarms and bells going off in his control room so he pours coffee on the panel, short circuiting the electronics and the alarms stop. Other episodes has others get so upset at Homers incompetence that they question why he has his current position.

The show has waned in popularity over the years but I just think it'd be a fun little addition, if not an easter egg, to play as Homer. Very Happy I will definitely check this out!

Thanks!
Alex wrote:
For those not in the know, Homer Simpson is a character in the show "The Simpsons" and for his day job he's a Nuclear Reactor Safety Inspector. Homer is characteristically dumb and clumsy, which also means is pretty bad at his job. One episode has alarms and bells going off in his control room so he pours coffee on the panel, short circuiting the electronics and the alarms stop. Other episodes has others get so upset at Homers incompetence that they question why he has his current position.

The show has waned in popularity over the years but I just think it'd be a fun little addition, if not an easter egg, to play as Homer. Very Happy I will definitely check this out!

Thanks!

I could try and add that in, I'll probably modify the Game Over screen to have a Simpson's reference...
*Ding* Program ready!

I'll release it after finals are over, any last feedback or beta-test applications?

@Alex: (make @ mentions work Razz) I got a Homer Simpson ref into the Game Over screen...

To all: it's like 3.6 KB
So I uploaded it... waiting for approval. I have a fusion reactor simulator planned, as well as the fact that I already started to brainstorm ideas for improvement on the current (fission) version...

Fusion is still kinda new, in terms or practicality, etc. so I'll have to do some research into the workings first...
Released into the archives! You can find the link on the first page of this topic!
Oooh I like this! Just tried it out and was pleasantly surprised, it reminds me a lot of the classic Drug Wars and Clicking Bad games, but with significantly more risk Razz

The autosave / reload feature is a nice touch too; also I just learned that there is a BorderColor command... interesting.

Keep up the nice work! Smile
Lol... The things you learn Razz

Thanks! I'll probably add in a meltdown "feature" soon...
SM84CE wrote:
0x5... The things you learn Razz

Thanks! I'll probably add in a meltdown "feature" soon...

done with that! You reactor can now meltdown!

It currently tells you that "Your reactor had a meltdown", and forces a normal restart.

Any feedback? If you guys want a release, POST IT! (and I'll release it after I see them...)
Make it blow up! Add an explosion animation!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours