so i've gotten to the libticonv-1.1.5 file. i've autoreconf -i -f ed it and then i ./configured it. i am told that i can now do make and make install. great i think to myself. i try to make and then bada bing bada bloop it doesn't work. it says:

undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:
"_ticonv_iconv", referenced from:
_main in torture_ticonv.o
"_ticonv_iconv_close", referenced from:
"_ticonv_iconv_open", referenced from:
ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64

i am on high sierra

i am currently trying the given script to install tilp and i will update this post with results

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

after hours of toil i've done it! i've installed tilp. i've learned so much on my journey. my vague understanding of path and environment variables is now slightly more intimate. this will likely not be useful to anyone, but here is a tip: you are supposed to link libarchive with homebrew, but homebrew doesn't let you link libarchive, so after brew installing libarchive, you should be able to add libarchive to your pkg-config path by opening the install_tilp.sh file, finding the part where it says:

Code:
if [ "x$PKG_CONFIG_PATH" = "x" ]; then
        PKG_CONFIG_PATH="$PREFIX/lib/pkgconfig:/opt/X11/lib/pkgconfig"
    else
        PKG_CONFIG_PATH="$PKG_CONFIG_PATH:$PREFIX/lib/pkgconfig:/opt/X11/lib/pkgconfig"

and replacing

Code:
"$PREFIX/lib/pkgconfig:/opt/X11/lib/pkgconfig"

and

Code:
"$PKG_CONFIG_PATH:$PREFIX/lib/pkgconfig:/opt/X11/lib/pkgconfig"

with the following respectively:

Code:
"$PREFIX/lib/pkgconfig:/opt/X11/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/Cellar/libarchive/3.3.3/lib/pkgconfig/"

and

Code:
"$PKG_CONFIG_PATH:$PREFIX/lib/pkgconfig:/opt/X11/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/Cellar/libarchive/3.3.3/lib/pkgconfig/"

i tried to add libarchive to the pkg-config path many times before i realized the script changed it
Indeed, it's best to use the install script, for which the usual shortlink is https://ti-pla.net/tilpinst . Not only it's much more automated than autoreconf / configure / make install, but it will install a version of libticonv which does not have this issue anymore.
thank you for helping Very Happy

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours