Which one is better?
TI-84 Plus SE
 12%  [ 4 ]
TI-84 Plus CE
 87%  [ 28 ]
Total Votes : 32

SAX wrote:
5:11:27 PM [Calcuon] wow, we need to take a poll: which is better TI-84pce or TI84pse. i think we'll have 110 votes on the former and 1 vote on the latter

Get to it! And explain why you think your choice is the best.

EDIT: I need help if I think the SE is better
TI 84+CE, for many reasons.

SE has 1.5MB ROM and 24KB RAM
CE has 3 MB FLASH ROM and 154KB RAM

SE: 1-bit color
CE: 16-bit color

SE: 94x63 pixel screen
CE: 320x240 pixel screen

SE: TI-Basic, z80, C(?)
CE: TI-Basic, ez80, C, ICE

SE: Gameboy (all grayscale though)
CE: Gameboy (some gameboy color compatibility), chip8

Also check out everyone's most reliable resource here to see they're perspective on it.

(*Note: I have edited this post at least 5 times to ensure correct information)
Let me add counterclaims

1.msd8x, a usb driver, can allow you to add more storage to the SE

2. When has anyone cared about color?

3. Yes, I agree that the CE has better color. It is also because of this color that some programs cannot be easily run on the CE...

actually never mind anything that I said... CE is better
Texas Instruments rates TI84+CE as they're #1 pick.

CE also can store pictures. There's also this amazing program called HDPicV. I don't think anyone cares for a monochrome picture of 94x63 pixel proportions. Wink
De2290 wrote:

2. When has anyone cared about color?

whenever they donut suffer form monochromatism
Definitely the CE, and here's some reasons why:

There are more commands available on the CE:
    toString()/eval()
    piecewise()+conditions menu
    Wait (and Pause with 2 arguments)
    Thin/Thick/Dot-Thick/Dot-Thin (obviously)

There are also more features...
    You can run archived programs from the homescreen and you don't need the asm() token.
    You can Undo an accidental clear with one of the options in the [Alpha] [F5] toolbar, and you can copy(or cut) and paste with the same menu.
    [Alpha] [X,T,θ,n] brings up the n/d fraction template
    Obviously all the color stuff
    LEFT, CENTER and RIGHT for the TI-Innovator

And the specs are better...
    z80-15MhZ → ez80-48MhZ
    24K RAM → 154K RAM
    1.5Mb ROM → 3Mb ROM
    4 AAA Batteries → 1 Li-ion Battery
    weight: 252g → 163g
you guys are all wrong its all about the TI-30XIIS
rockhouser wrote:

I know right! I love how its black and white and how we can't do basic statistical functions on it. Just Joking
rockhouser wrote:

TI-108 is way better.
ContronThePanda wrote:
rockhouser wrote:

TI-108 is way better.

No,to unreliable your better off with an abacus Just Joking
Calcuon wrote:
SE: Gameboy (all grayscale though)
CE: Gameboy (some gameboy color compatibility), chip8
At least one CHIP-8 emulator is also available for the TI-84+/SE.

mr womp womp wrote:
The TI-83+/SE and TI-84+/SE get far better battery life than the TI-84+CE. Many students could go a whole semester---or even a whole school year---without need to change batteries; the TI-84+CE typically requires recharging weekly. Of course, since most students now are used to charging their phone daily, that isn't seen as a major drawback.

Sadly, the low-battery detection circuitry on the TI-84+SE doesn't support NiMH batteries. It detects low batteries solely based on battery voltage. Because NiMH batteries have a lower operating voltage, it falsely reports that the batteries are low when they still have plenty of charge and are in no danger of not being able to supply enough current. (The calculator itself can actually run just fine down to 3.5 V or so, thanks to using 3.3 V CMOS logic and LDO regulators, though you need to patch the software or it will get really testy.) A USB charging circuit for AAAs would also be nice, though sadly, you cannot trust middle school and high school students not to try to recharge primary cells.
mr womp womp wrote:
Definitely the CE, and here's some reasons why:

There are more commands available on the CE:
    toString()/eval()
    piecewise()+conditions menu
    Wait (and Pause with 2 arguments)
    Thin/Thick/Dot-Thick/Dot-Thin (obviously)

There are also more features...
    You can run archived programs from the homescreen and you don't need the asm() token.
    You can Undo an accidental clear with one of the options in the [Alpha] [F5] toolbar, and you can copy(or cut) and paste with the same menu.
    [Alpha] [X,T,θ,n] brings up the n/d fraction template
    Obviously all the color stuff
    LEFT, CENTER and RIGHT for the TI-Innovator

z80-15MhZ → ez80-48MhZ
    24K RAM → 154K RAM
    1.5Mb ROM → 3Mb ROM
    weight: 252g → 163g

We need a more powerful calculator. One that is ARM, and at least has a gig of storage and 512 mb of ram. It should be unlike the Ti-Nspire though, and be like the TI-84. Modern companies disgust me with their attitude about technology. I'm sure the TI-84 Plus CE doesn't even cost 50 dollars to make, assuming that the Kindle Fire cost 49.99 USD. If they are charging 129.99 USD for these specs, they can afford to do a little bit better.
De2290 wrote:
We need a more powerful calculator. One that is ARM, and at least has a gig of storage and 512 mb of ram. It should be unlike the Ti-Nspire though, and be like the TI-84. Modern companies disgust me with their attitude about technology. I'm sure the TI-84 Plus CE doesn't even cost 50 dollars to make, assuming that the Kindle Fire cost 49.99 USD. If they are charging 129.99 USD for these specs, they can afford to do a little bit better.

You aren't paying for the hardware, you're paying for a license to the software.
I'm torn on this one ... the SE came out when the community was still thriving and it was a decent unit hardware wise at the time. There are few programs that really push the SE to it's limits.

Plus there were picture viewers, grayscale as well Very Happy.

The CE is great, but the increased resolution does come at a processing cost - not to mention the hardware can be ham-strung by wait states and such.

Overall I think it comes down to which is the better unit vs which is my favourite unit Smile. Since this thread is about better, then it has to be the CE.
First of all, I'm surprised this thread has survived this long. Secondly, I'm wondering where my first post is. I'm the one who created the thread. However, cemetech records De2290 as the forum creater. Can someone explain this to me?

Go TI84+CE!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours