Hello

Anyone know how to enable the lowercase function on the TI 84 Plus CE? I need to b able to enter chemical equations and entering everything in uppercase can cause the wrong element to come up/wrong answer.

I am attempting to enter equations that will let me know if a chemical is balanced or unbalanced.
Are you on 5.3.1? 5.3.1 doesn't have the Asm84CEPrgm token that allows you to use hexcodes which allow you to enter lowercase letters.
Write the following program:

Code:
PRGM:NAMEHERE
:Asm84CEPrgmFDCB24DEC9

That first token, Asm84CEPrgm, can be found near the top of the catalog ([2ND][0]). Type the remaining characters exactly as written, or you're gonna have a bad time. If you think you messed up, check to see that you have an even number of characters after Asm84CEPrgm.

Run the program by running

Code:
Asm(prgmNAMEHERE

in the main screen, where Asm( can also be found near the top of the catalog. Lowercase letters will now be enabled by pressing [ALPHA] twice.
I could actually use this too. Do you write it a line below Asm84CEPrgm?
De2290 wrote:

Don't need to. Same line works fine.
If you can't run that code because of OS 5.3.1, use this program instead.
or you could follow TheLastMillenial's guide to downgrade to 5.3.0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGq-nsNOhuc
This is slightly less efficient, but ICE (programming language) enables lowercase. Unless you're programming, it'll be totally useless (except for lowercase).

You can download ICE here and some required programs to run it here. Run ICE at least once, and lowercase is enabled.
De2290 wrote:

Newlines just get ignored when using hex opcodes, as long as you put an even number of characters per line (Because a nibble only represents half an instruction, so it doesn't make sense without its other half)
You might see some people using new lines for readability purposes like this from tibasicdev:

Code:
AsmPrgm
EFD74AD604C0
676FEB
4E234623EB
C5D5E51A
EFA342F5
EBEF9445
218D8477EFB44C06004F
F1E1D109C1
20020B13
0B1378B1
20DB
EF9247
EF5641
EFBF4A
C9

but something like this is equally valid:

Code:
AsmPrgm
EF
D7
4A
D6
C0
6F
EB
4E
EB
C5
D5
E5
1A
EF
A3
F5
EB
EF
8D
EF
B4
4C
4F
F1
E1
D1
C1
0B
0B
B1
DB
EF
EF
EF
BF
4A
C9

and this would also be valid:

Code:
AsmPrgmEFD74AD604C0676FEB4E234623EBC5D5E51AEFA342F5EBEF9445218D8477EFB44C06004FF1E1D109C120020B130B1378B120DBEF9247EF5641EFBF4AC9

De2290 wrote:

1. That's not a tutorial on how to downgrade to 5.3.0
  2. You generally can't downgrade from 5.3.1 to 5.3.0

Since 5.1.5, TI added downgrade protection, which will prevent you from downgrading. The downgrade protection will allow you to downgrade your calc down to a minimal allowed version, but in the case of OS 5.3.1, they increased the minimal allowed version to 5.3.1, so any new calculator won't be able to downgrade, it depends on your boot code.
kg583 wrote:
Type the remaining characters exactly as written, or you're gonna have a bad time.

Actually, depending on where you mess up, you could end up with some funky results Evil or Very Mad
    Change the 24 to 12 and you just pressed 2nd.
    Change the 24 to 08 and you just essentially turned off Automatic power-down.
    Change the 2nd D to a 9 and you just turned off the low battery checking before archiving/unarchiving a variable Laughing
mr womp womp wrote:

De2290 wrote:

Since 5.1.5, TI added downgrade protection, which will prevent you from downgrading. The downgrade protection will allow you to downgrade your calc down to a minimal allowed version, but in the case of OS 5.3.1, they increased the minimal allowed version to 5.3.1, so any new calculator won't be able to downgrade, it depends on your boot code.

Ehh, you're kinda incorrect there. The video isn't strictly a tutorial on how to downgrade, but it does provide the tools to downgrade even if you have boot code 5.3.1. Please correct me if the tools no longer work for the new boot codes. Smile
TheLastMillennial wrote:
mr womp womp wrote:

De2290 wrote:

Ehh, you're kinda incorrect there. The video isn't strictly a tutorial on how to downgrade, but it does provide the tools to downgrade even if you have boot code 5.3.1. Please correct me if the tools no longer work for the new boot codes. Smile

I've never tried it for obvious reasons, but I was under the impression that you couldn't downgrade from boot code 5.3.1, I may be mistaken.
Oh, I think I see the misunderstanding. The tutorial isn't how to downgrade your boot code (like you said, you can't) it's how to downgrade your OS. As far as I know, boot code 5.3.1 seems to look at a specific part of the certificate to see the minimum OS it can downgrade to, the tool in the video makes it so the certificate says the calculator can be downgraded to any OS.
I just saw on my calculator that if you use the 2nd key then the letter it will make the lower case letters. Mine must be already enabled. For instance the 2nd key then press the 7 key and you can get the lower case u. I didnt notice it at first since I just bought the calc Im still learning it. I feel way safer with this than downloading something that can crash my calc.
Sure that works, but there are very few lowercase letters you can access on-calc. As far as I know, those are 3 of the 7 (or so) on-calc lowercase letters you can access. You need to use the HEX code posted above if you want all the lowercase letters.
I wouldn't worry about a crash, it sounds scarier than it really is. If you archive all important data before trying the HEX code, nothing bad will happen. Even if your calculator crashes when you run it, nothing important will be deleted so you can keep trying until you get it correct.
You can't access any lowercase letters without enabling it. The three equation variables u,v and w are not the same tokens as the lowercase letters, and are not meant to be used in the same way. Same goes for the other stat vars.
Here is what I mean:

Also, You can definitely access more than 7 lowercase lookalikes, here are all the ones I can think of:

u, v, w, a, b, c, d, e, r, n, p, z, t, s
Don't forget i, even if it is in your imagination...

***SM84CE runs
SM84CE wrote:
Don't forget i, even if it is in your imagination...

***SM84CE runs

It isn't the same though
Does anyone know how to store the lowercase letters as variables? Whenever I type in "a" then press "enter" it just displays a syntax error. How to fix this?
MBC72 wrote:
Does anyone know how to store the lowercase letters as variables? Whenever I type in "a" then press "enter" it just displays a syntax error. How to fix this?

You can't.
I'm on ti 84 plus ce 5.7.0, is there any program or code i can get to do this? Confused

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours