can we lock everything again pls kthx
I've been around for 17 years and around Halloween it's always the same thing on almost every calculator website out there.

I am kinda guilty of this with my recent 10-years necropost on Omnimaga, but I don't think it counts since it was a legitimate project update. xd
Like I hypothesized in another thread, it's probably due to school starting up or kids trying to escape the stress of studying for midterms. This is obviously apparent when you look at statistics like calculator videos. Take a look at my channel view statistics for instance.

See that huge spike at the end? That's just from the day after schools started up. My channel views have raised significantly, during the last few months. This spike is obviously translates to calculator forums like Cemetech.

Back to the necroposting, when no one has finished a port of a popular game to the CE, the newbies want to know why. So regardless of the projects last post date, they post anyways. I cant say I blame them, we don't really have any obvious rules about necroposting until after they post and there aren't any safeguards against it.
Lets have up-votes and down-votes like on Reddit, then we can cyberbully the bad behavior away Evil or Very Mad
TheLastMillennial wrote:
Like I hypothesized in another thread, it's probably due to school starting up or kids trying to escape the stress of studying for midterms. This is obviously apparent when you look at statistics like calculator videos. Take a look at my channel view statistics for instance.

I know I'm being bad and going off-topic, but because Cemetech is a very education focused site by nature it's always fun to look back at the analytics and try and pin point dates and stuff to the general school schedule.

Here's our traffic graph from a couple years ago, this about 13-14 months of visitor traffic. See if you can point out the holidays and breaks. Very Happy
Thank you Alex...
is it possible to have X axe graduate with month letter ?
I'm pro necro posting.
allynfolksjr wrote:
I'm pro necro posting.

I'm not talking about never posting in old threads, I'm talking about adding nothing to the discussion, and reviving an old thread with something along the lines of
"Any update on this project? When will it be finished?" On a thread that hasn't had any posts since 2008.
I'm not gonna lie, I'm tempted to mark my calendar two years from now just to post something inane in this thread.

I do like what Omni implemented with having a warning if a thread is over ___ days since the last post. It makes it a bit more obvious to the user that it kind of goes against etiquette. That said, as others have mentioned, there are definitely appropriate times to necropost, especially necroupdates.
cry about it

Necroposting has always been a problem on the Hypixel forums, and people go crazy whenever someone does it!

mr womp womp wrote:
Lets have up-votes and down-votes like on Reddit, then we can cyberbully the bad behavior away Evil or Very Mad
YES!
haha necroposting on a topic about necroposting go brrrrrrr
Honestly I'm not that annoyed by it. I've always found it kinda funny and somewhat macabre just because it's dragging up some old project for modern inspection. Probably better than creating a separate thread on the topic because you might ping the OP, but it's also a bit annoying to convert a dead update thread into an FAQ.
Same here. Also, dates for posts don't always show up on the mobile version of Cemetech, so I'm never really sure if I'm necroposting or not... (which means I end up doing a lot of it)
darkwater4213 wrote:
Same here. Also, dates for posts don't always show up on the mobile version of Cemetech, so I'm never really sure if I'm necroposting or not... (which means I end up doing a lot of it)

Same here they should really change that I am mostly on the mobile version too.
Xeda112358 wrote:
I'm not gonna lie, I'm tempted to mark my calendar two years from now just to post something inane in this thread.

I do like what Omni implemented with having a warning if a thread is over ___ days since the last post. It makes it a bit more obvious to the user that it kind of goes against etiquette. That said, as others have mentioned, there are definitely appropriate times to necropost, especially necroupdates.

Aww, I forgot to do this Sad

But also, yeah, for mobile users they won't see dates unless they explicitly switch to a "desktop" view.
Hey, great to see a post from you, Xeda, even if it is a necropost! Some sites simply lock threads after X amount of time has passed, but I think we'd all generally agree that that's not a good fit for Cemetech, where someone may have a legitimate follow-up question or comment on a discussion we held 16 or 17 years ago.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours