Hi! I'm currently taking a class where for a given problem we have a set of data, where the line of best fit must pass through the origin (conversion must equal zero when time is zero). I own a casio FX7400 GII and the only tipes of linear regression I found were y=ax+b or y=a+bx. Is it posible to find a way to make the y-intercept be zero on this calculator?
Hi,

I see that you are trying to make a line with the Y Intercept being zero. You said that your calculator has y=ax+b graphing. If I am not mistaken, b represents the Y Intercept in that equation. Can you not just omit a b value, or do y = ax + 0?
rohanmodi wrote:
Hi,

I see that you are trying to make a line with the Y Intercept being zero. You said that your calculator has y=ax+b graphing. If I am not mistaken, b represents the Y Intercept in that equation. Can you not just omit a b value, or do y = ax + 0?

Hi, sadly I can't. Once I graph the data and apply the regression to it, it lets me choose from different types of regression (linear, quadratic,etc), and among the linear options are the two that I've mentioned, but it doesn't have an option then to make b take a zero value. I was thinking that I could perhaps program it to do so, but I don't really know where to start.
I mean you could probably make B equal to something very close to zero. Perhaps try making it like 0.0000001. If you are to do that the calculator will probably make the line very, very close, if not completely, on the 0 for the graph.
rohanmodi wrote:
I see that you are trying to make a line with the Y Intercept being zero.

rohanmodi wrote:
I mean you could probably make B equal to something very close to zero. Perhaps try making it like 0.0000001. If you are to do that the calculator will probably make the line very, very close, if not completely, on the 0 for the graph.

Linear regression is not the same as graphing a line.

A and B are the two outputs of the regression. You can't preset one before the regression operation, and the algorithms for finding regression through the origin are different than those for finding regression with any intercept.
I don't own a Casio calc, but I would assume an option specifically for regression through the origin would be available in the same menu as ax+b regression if the calc supports it at all.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours