It's less than 24 hrs, but I think this deserves a double post.

The code is gone, all of it except my single backup.

Tari tried his best but:
Tari wrote:
Turns out the most recent [...] backup is from April, which probably isn't any help to you.

[Source Coder] doesn't keep any old revisions, so without backups there's nothing I can do. It's possible there are backups I don't know about, but don't hold your breath.

I may be able to scrounge some useful code out of that April backup, but I doubt there's much code of real use.

I'll be working on getting stuff back to where it was I guess. Crying

I suppose we can call this the 'red banner of death' or RBoD :\
When I found a not-so-old semi-working version of my code:

Yeah, I found a very recent version, I've already got the code back to where I was before the SC crash! I did lose all my comments yet again and I also lost code from previous version I would've like to have kept, though if I dig through my calculator backups, I'm sure I'll find the source for those too. Very Happy

Screw you RBoD, you can't stop me! I make the programs around here, I can code the whole darn day!
Hey a good update! Big thanks to PT_, I've gotten the code to relatively working state!
It's all rearranged so it's more robust and easier to call the 'methods'. Also, it can now detect all the images AND open them to full screen when you click on the thumbnail! I've got a new bug though where the program freezes once you open 5 or so images, so that needs to be fixed. I'll try to get a GIF on here soon, things are throwing a fit right now.

I'd like to add that I've been putting small updates that aren't post-worthy over on CodeWalruses calc news so if you're really into my projects and what I've been up to, just follow the link, you don't even need an account to see what I (and the other users) post.
Hey here's that GIF I promised!

At the very end, the program crashes, I had to edit that part out because my adjusted certificate makes my calculator display my real name when it RAM resets. Laughing
I've also completely redone my first post so it's a bit cleaner.
Progress report! 10 minutes ago I solved the program crashing bug I had in the previous post! Turns out that looping this line: DefineSprite(40,60->THUMBNAILwas the culprit. So I just moved it to the top of my program with the rest of my declarations and now everything works! I've also added switching to other images without needing to go back to the thumbnail page! This is by far the most stable version I've got. EDIT: The code is now on GitHub.
Here's another GIF:

I'm currently adding multi-page support, it's not working right now but I should have that fixed reasonably soon. I need to add a thing that wont let you keep scrolling into unmapped memory when you've gone though all the images.

I'm also going to try and get custom palette support. This should significantly improve the quality of the images. Unfortunately convPNG doesn't seem to support the command with the ICEgroup. Could someone possibly help me with that?
Once images have individual palettes, displaying multiple image thumbnails will require some trickery. Rather than taking the lame way out and storing pre-converted thumbnails using a shared palette like xlibc or rgb332, you should try converting them at runtime.

For each image, you'd loop through the palette and record the xlibc or rgb332 color that's most similar. rgb332 will definitely be easier so I'd go with that, although GraphX can't generate this palette for you like the xlibc one, so you'll have to create it manually. Once you have the color conversion LUT, loop through the pixels in the source image and convert to the shared palette. You can (and should) downscale the image at the same time by moving by 4 source pixels at a time (both horizontally and vertically).
Oh, that seems quite... difficult.
Isn't there an easier way such as storing the custom palette for that particular image into a separate app var? (is that the same way you described as 'lame'? Razz) Sure there'll be lots more app vars to work with, but I think it'd be a lot more doable for me. Is there a better option if I did it in C?
Hey, since I was working on finishing my overclocking video, I didn't work on this much lately. Now that I'm working on it again though, I'd like to get some feedback so I know what to focus on. I think my program is almost stable enough for a beta release, there are just a few bugs I need to fix. Unfortunately, the image quality isn't as good as I'd like yet since I haven't implemented the palettes yet, so you'd be settling for 'OK' quality. I've got a comparison image here:

If you can't tell the difference between the Old and the Current; you need to call an ambulance and have it drive you to directly a eye doctor. Razz
At first glance, it may be difficult to see a difference between the Current and the Target, however if you look at, say the paw in the bottom left corner, you'll clearly see the choppy colors in the Current version rather than the smooth change in the Target.

So here's my question:
Would you like me to just fix the bugs that I currently have and then release? Or would you like me to implement to work in the palette? You'd get consistent, significantly better quality images with the palette working, however it'll take me longer to release.

I won't be releasing any computer program to help convert the images in the beta, it's all screwed up right now and needs to be re-written. I'm thinking about possibly turning it into a webpage so it's compatible with more OSes rather than just Windows. However getting convPNG working on it may be a challenge. I dunno, I've never worked with a website before so that'll be fun. Very Happy

Please let me know what you think!
The current one already looks awesome! Except for the color thingies, all is good. How did you make the target, though? photo editing? Razz
You should just iron out the bugs, release, then work on the other stuffz. Something like making a pre-release on github.
If you want, you can post It on my new website (Made yesterday).
Thanks for your feedback jcgter! I didn't photoshop the target, it's actually a program in C that Mateo made. It's a program and not an app var though so it doesn't quite work for this project. I'll work on fixing the current bugs and getting a beta release out!

Frank, I'll consider your site, however I'll most likely stick to GitHub and maybe Cemetech for the beta. Also, please contribute to the thread before self promoting. Wink
The current one already looks pretty darn good! But yeah, the target one even better, so I hope you can work out the palette things that needs to be changed. Keep it up! Smile
TheLastMillennial wrote:

I have a minor question / suggestion, you see in the GIF that you posted, where you have all your pictures. You notice that all your pictures are one size, but the box thing that selects the picture is significantly larger than the picture. Can this be fixed?
I'm planning to add image information such as the name, how big it is, and maybe its resolution if I can cram it in. I may space out, or rearrange how the pictures work so I can fit in the information.
Ok, that seems nice. Also, may I ask how large this program is?
The program itself is only about 2KB (compiled). However the pictures take up much more space, they range from about 52-72KB each.
The Program looks Darn good Smile . Look Forward to using it !!
2KB? Seems really nice. I see in that GIF that you provided earlier in this thread that you are using a compiler made by PT, does the user need to have that installed for the program to work decently well, or is it just for you as a developer? If it is something a user must have, how many kilobytes does that program occupy?
Nope, you only need the compiler if you want to compile the source code. If you don't want to edit the source code, then you just need the HD Pic program.

Great news! I got everything bug free! You can't scroll into unmapped memory and I haven't experienced any random crashes during my testing! I also added a bar on the bottom of the screen during thumbnail selection that shows you what the top 5 buttons do!

I'm currently working on getting the program to display the image name next to the corresponding image but I'm having a small issue of it displaying the same name for every image. I wasn't sure if I could cram the information in so I moved the thumbnails all to the middle, but the text seems small enough that I can put it back if you guys want. I'm super excited, I hope to get the release out soon!
I did it! I released a beta! Go ahead and snatch it here!

I got image name displaying fixed thanks to PT_. I was hoping to add some text that would tell you the size of the image, but it was throwing a fit so I just commented it out for this release. Unfortunately I don't have any C# code ready to convert the images for you, but I've made the ReadMe as concise as I could so hopefully you can figure it out; please tell me if you get confused!

I foresee myself being very occupied for the next couple weeks which is why I wanted to push this beta out right now.
Thank you for your support everyone, I'm super elated that I've gotten this far! Very Happy

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 4 of 9
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours