Hi all! I'm new to this forum and this is my first post.

I joined this forum to ask about a certain glitch that I encounter constantly. It happens when I run oriaM, and when I restart my calculator. The glitch only occurs when Asm(prgmOIRAM is in the most recent history. It only goes away when I press clear. In the picture below, I scrolled up 1 line so you can see what part of the screen glitch gets left behind and what is stuck on the screen. No other program does this. Is there an explanation for this glitch? Is it something only my calculator does or does this occur with other aswel?

Thanks in advance,
SaltySoySauce
SaltySoySauce wrote:

I joined this forum to ask about a certain glitch that I encounter constantly. It happens when I run oriaM, and when I restart my calculator. The glitch only occurs when Asm(prgmOIRAM is in the most recent history. It only goes away when I press clear. In the picture below, I scrolled up 1 line so you can see what part of the screen glitch gets left behind and what is stuck on the screen. No other program does this. Is there an explanation for this glitch? Is it something only my calculator does or does this occur with other aswel?

Thanks in advance,
SaltySoySauce

Hey Soy,

1). What OS are you on? On 5.3 and up you don't need the asm anymore.

2). I have OIRAM, and that does not happen on mine.

3). Try reinstalling OIRAM, or see if you have any other programs that may interfere with it.

4). Call up TI-Cares, and see what advice they give you.
rohanmodi wrote:
SaltySoySauce wrote:

Thanks in advance,
SaltySoySauce

Hey Soy,

1). What OS are you on? On 5.3 and up you don't need the asm anymore.

2). I have OIRAM, and that does not happen on mine.

3). Try reinstalling OIRAM, or see if you have any other programs that may interfere with it.

4). Call up TI-Cares, and see what advice they give you.

Hi Rohanmodi,
I found out I'm on version 5.2.2.0043, I'm upgrading as soon as I find my cable!Rolling Eyes Thanks for the tip on the newer software, I found it was a pain to constantly have to scroll to asm!

Sidenote, is there a TI-Cares number for Europe too? I'm not from the US as you might be able to tell from my English level.
As long as it's not affecting the functionality of your calculator, dont worry about it. If I remember correctly, some programs don't clean up all the way when they're finished running. Therefore they will sometimes leave random artifacts on the screen.

EDIT: make sure not to update to OS 5.3.1! Go to 5.3.0 instead!
TheLastMillennial wrote:
As long as it's not affecting the functionality of your calculator, dont worry about it. If I remember correctly, some programs don't clean up all the way when they're finished running. Therefore they will sometimes leave random artifacts on the screen.

EDIT: make sure not to update to OS 5.3.1! Go to 5.3.0 instead!

What happened to OS 5.3.1?
This absurdity.
TheLastMillennial wrote:

Does that upgrade bring anything else?
SaltySoySauce wrote:
TheLastMillennial wrote:

Does that upgrade bring anything else?

Yes, it also slows down apps because it performs a check on them Laughing
Sound like a great feature; sign me up!
Is it possible to reverse an update? Or does the calculator not allow that?
SaltySoySauce wrote:

nope, since 5.1.5, TI added downgrade protection, which will prevent you from downgrading. The downgrade protection will allow you to downgrade your calc down to a minimal allowed version, but in the case of OS 5.3.1, they increased the minimal allowed version to 5.3.1.
mr womp womp wrote:
SaltySoySauce wrote:

nope, since 5.1.5, TI added downgrade protection, which will prevent you from downgrading. The downgrade protection will allow you to downgrade your calc down to a minimal allowed version, but in the case of OS 5.3.1, they increased the minimal allowed version to 5.3.1.

I know the following would be incredibly hard but can't you write your own OS that seems like a newer version and disables that protection?
SaltySoySauce wrote:
I know the following would be incredibly hard but can't you write your own OS that seems like a newer version and disables that protection?
The almost entirely correct answer is no: OSes (and Apps) are signed with a key that TI holds, that's mathematically implausible to reverse engineer. You therefore would be (mostly) unable to sign a custom OS you wrote to make the calculator accept it.
Don't ask TI-Cares about Oiram. Just a warning.

MateoConLechuga made something called FreeOS where you can make your own OS, that acts like an actual one.
KermMartian wrote:
SaltySoySauce wrote:
The almost entirely correct answer is no: OSes (and Apps) are signed with a key that TI holds, that's mathematically implausible to reverse engineer. You therefore would be (mostly) unable to sign a custom OS you wrote to make the calculator accept it.

That really sucks! But on the other hand, otherwise they wouldn't have a way to ensure testmode is legit. But on a side note, how does that key work? Is it encrypted? How does the calculator know the key is legit?
jcgter777 wrote:
Don't ask TI-Cares about Oiram. Just a warning.

MateoConLechuga made something called FreeOS where you can make your own OS, that acts like an actual one.

Is that like an emulator?
Please do not make a double post. This is not allowed.
What? TI disabled AsmPrgm? Wow that's terrible. Couldn't you downgrade by going straight from the bootloader (2nd + Del + Reset)? You can install FreeOS and then do the TI OS install as well.
UDXS wrote:
What? TI disabled AsmPrgm? Wow that's terrible. Couldn't you downgrade by going straight from the bootloader (2nd + Del + Reset)? You can install FreeOS and then do the TI OS install as well.

What do you mean? It's a great thing! You can use asm programs without going to the menu anymore.
Daniel, I think you misunderstood; UDXS was refering to Asm84CEPrgm not the Asm( token.

Also, no, you can't downgrade by going to the boot loader while having a newer OS installed, I don't quite know how it works, but I think the boot code and the certificate prevents you from installing an older OS. You need a certificate editor to downgrade.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours