Now that I have a "proper" home rather than a room somewhere, I want to get a bit deeper into automation and smart home. I know this is an opinionated topic, as some people vehemently oppose smart assistants because they are "always listening." This topic isn't about the ethics, morals, or whatever about digital assistants. This topic is for those who don't mind digital assistants in their life and their opinions on the assistant(s) they use.

What Smart Home assistant do you prefer? Why is that? Have you used others, what do others lack that your preferred assistant has? Do you have any connected cameras? I'm asking because I've only really ever used Siri and I'm not a fan. I'm doing research into GA vs Alexa and would love to hear your guys' opinions on this as well.

Below I'll document my thoughts on the three players:

Alexa
    My parents went with Alexa and I like her capabilities. I've bought them connected thermostats so they can adjust the temp more easily. Alexa controls the TV too, they can turn it on/off and change inputs with their voice. They've bough Phillips Hue bulbs which I have strongly advised them against and bought them some smart switches, which they installed.

My draw to Alexa is the intercom functionality. My parents, sister, and myself can all drop in on a voice call without actually "calling" each other. The downside (and really a positive aspect) is that you still have to pick up, so it's really no different than a phone call but uses your internet data.

To sort of go back on myself, I also like Alexa because the bigger, the Plus I believe, works with the Phillips Hue lights without a bridge as the Alexa unit is the bridge. Now, I oppose Phillips hue bulbs, not the lights. The stand alone Hue lamps are amazingly awesome I just hate the bulbs because the light switches have to always be on, and being someone who habitually flips switches off, Hue bulbs rarely work (because the power to them is off). It's why I opted for a smart switch in my room and bought my parents a few smart switches as well.

Google Assistant
    Google Assistant (GA) is something I'm strongly considering. I use Googles services through and through: Calendar, Email, Google Voice, Search, Chromecast, Wifi, etc. Their I/O Conference really had me in awe when they demo'd GA making phone calls for reservations. I really love the innovation Google has brought to this and will continue to make.

GA also smashes the other two when it comes to searches and reciting information. I went with a Google Wifi setup at home and just feel like GA would round off the top. I also want to buy a TV with Chromecast built-in, and it'd be so convenient to ask GA to play something on Netflix and it does it all for me.

Siri
    Then there's Apples' HomePod and its Siri integration. Siri obviously lags behind Alexa & GA but I already use Siri on my phone & computer. I love Apples ecosystem and the fact that I can make & take a phone call on my computer, while my phone is still in my pocket or in my room charging. This functionality will be coming to HomePod later. I always feel like Apple will never strongly compete with Amazon & Google but that full Apple ecosystem would be nice. Coming home and streaming Spotify over AirPlay to the HomePod would be great, but I can also ask GA or Alexa to play Spotify for me.

The downside is HomePods price and size. Alexa & GA come in various sizes with appropriate price points but HomePod is just one size and it is expensive. I feel HomePod is advertised as a smart speaker rather than a smart digital assistant like the other two; I can just get a small puck sized unit for Google or Amazon and put it on my night stand and perhaps another in the kitchen.
I haven't really used any myself, but do you have any privacy/security concerns with any of these units?
tr1p1ea wrote:
I haven't really used any myself, but do you have any privacy/security concerns with any of these units?

None whatsoever. As I stated, there are people who are strongly opinionated about this stuff; this topic isn't for the privacy & security concerns and the morals/ethics that come with it, I wouldn't be looking for a smart home assistant if I did.
I've never owned any of them, though I did spend a week at a friends house who had an Amazon Echo which I quite enjoyed torturing interrogating.

I started writing this before the above post so I'm going to keep it. Laughing
If you care for your privacy, Siri is the way to go. Although it's overpriced (wow, an Apple product that's overpriced? Who would've guessed? Razz) and severely lacks in features, Apple seems to be the best (not perfect, but the best) for privacy with the options you listed. As Apple improves the HomePod, you'll even be able to easily control your house smart switches and locks since it'll be compatible with the Apple Home app along with other cool things. I'll bet you'll be enjoying your 'Apple ecosystem' even more. Downside of course is the freaking price. You may be able to get some used ones that are in good shape for a lower price though.

If you don't give a care about privacy, I'd suggest GA since you seem to use Google products more often than Amazon ones. I'm fairly sure you can connect it to some smart switches and fancy light bulbs. Like you said, GA seems to be pretty good with answering questions too. However, you'll be giving up every bit of privacy, even your basic conversations will be sold to companies who will then target you with a bunch of crud.

If you don't use Amazon services much, I wouldn't suggest going for it, it'll just add another layer of issues when you try and make things compatible with each other. However, Amazon seems to be shoving Alexa into everything, including basic clocks, microwaves, and even your car so you'll never have to worry about one not being in a room. The downside, like I stated above, is the privacy concerns.

Also, don't forget about the Bixby speaker! You know that's by far the best option of all of them [/sarcasm]

I know you just said you don't care about your privacy nor any moral concerns, but I know it's still important to bring up, therefor I highly suggest you just use the 'Hey Siri' function on your phone or Mac book to get answers to questions, or control a smart switch. Unless you're phone is charging (and even sometimes then), you're likely to have it near you. It should work nearly as well as a home assistant and will save you several hundred bucks. Wink
Yeah, I already use Siri to control my lights; I have automation set up using HomeKit. My lights turn on 5 minutes before my alarm, turn off 15 minutes after my alarm (so I don't have to, or if I took a day off), and they turn on if I arrive while it's dark and turn off if I leave (no matter the time of day). I just updated to macOS 10.14 today, so I should be able to now control HomeKit from my computer as well.

I think I need to look at this as a "How often will I do X?" Realistically, I don't make reservations except for maybe 4 times a year. I would imagine GA looks at my calendar to accurately book reservations without conflict. And, it's always easy when I call myself; I have the 5 minutes to make a reservation over the phone.

I don't ask Siri a lot of questions. I dictate texts, make calls, and do home automation through her. But I think I'd miss the connectivity with non-Apple products. When I'm over at my parents, they can say "Alexa, turn on the TV" while they're putting food on their plate in the kitchen. They don't need to fumble for the remote; although they still need it to change channels and start a show with the DVR so they'll need the remote eventually.

It's tough. I don't need something right away so I can definitely wait. Though for what Siri offers, it's enough for me but not at the right price point. I can get a more advanced assistant for less. I don't really say "I wish I could do X." I do think it'd be awesome to control my TV, however, but I don't need to hear jokes, or get a digest in the morning about the weather and news.
I don't use a commercial system. Recent discussion (focused on a single new aspect): https://www.taricorp.net/2018/temperature-logging-redux/

Not much attached to it though- I have a single LiFX bulb that it controls and it knows how to talk to the media center, plus the sensors discussed in the first link.
I have a amazon echo, and love it. I have tried a few others, and the echo is the best at telling what you are saying, and has many features (yesterday i asked it what the best tempature was to cook bacon at, it said about 400 degrees). Plus, it can connect to your amazon prime account, and you can listen to almost any song. You can set timers, play games, and it has a lot of jokes. Sorry this is short, i am typing on my flip phone. Good luck!
Yeah that's what I hate about Siri. I can ask her and she gives me back "Okay, here's what I found on the web for..." No Siri, I'm not in front my phone, can you please just tell me the answer? It's aggravating how bad Siri is in general.
You can Google Cleopatra home assistant, and it's really cool. It handles almost everything in the house. WHen you put ingredients on the kitchen, it can give you a recipe. I don't know if you can get it though. If not, Google Home is so much better than Siri, in almost everything. better voice interacting capabilities, nicer, can play your Google Play music etc. Siri isn't that bad, but I'd choose Google Home over Siri. As for Alexa, I've never used it (her Razz), but it seems pretty nice from what I've heard. There is also this robot called Zenbo that can move, and can control things in your house and monitor it once you set it up. It's voice capabilities (recognition is the worst), are not good at all, though.

If you can get Cleopatra, get it. If not, Google Home or Alexa.
Is this the Cleopatra you're talking about?

Tari wrote:
I don't use a commercial system. Recent discussion (focused on a single new aspect): https://www.taricorp.net/2018/temperature-logging-redux/

I've wanted to do something like this for a while but just could never find a temperature system that had logging. But it looks like you took sensors and built the system to store the data? Does it talk to Google Voice or Alexa? Such as "What's the temp in the bedroom?"
Haha, why buy a commercial smart home when you could make your own using a TI 84 Plus and CalcNet! Laughing
Alex wrote:
Tari wrote:

I've wanted to do something like this for a while but just could never find a temperature system that had logging. But it looks like you took sensors and built the system to store the data? Does it talk to Google Voice or Alexa? Such as "What's the temp in the bedroom?"
It has a Google Assistant integration that doesn't appear to allow exporting sensors, supports exporting items to HomeKit including those kinds of sensors, and some kind of Alexa nonsense.
Go with that Google Home Max.

It has overtaken Alexa in terms of 3rd party devices, and integrates well with nest I believe.
It's a toss between HomePod and Max at this point. I really want a smart speaker over a smart puck at this point, I just love the audio fidelity they have. I unfortunately can't do much in terms of Nest, since I can't replace the thermostat in my current residence. I mean, I could but I'd have to put the old thermostat back when I moved out because I know the property management company won't put a Nest in at my request.
As if the timing couldn't have been better, Spotify announced a free Google Home Mini to Family Plan Subscribers on November 1st. I texted my sister to request one for me; it'll be here around November 20th. She's also sending me a Google Home Mini she doesn't use. So... not sure what I'm going to do with two of them.

As I've stated my housemate is against these things so I can't put it anywhere outside my room. I know I can pair two the Google Home Max's and use it for stereo sound, but I don't think I can do the same thing with Home Mini? Maybe I'll put one in my bathroom? Anyways, I should be getting my sisters by the end of the week and the one from Spotify the week after.

I've been playing with the Google Assistant app on my phone, and GA is so much better than Siri. Really looking forward to getting my own house soon and putting Google Home devices around. Idea
It's here! Been playing around with it and love it. It still needs work to turn off my lights when it runs the good night routine but it asks me when I want to wake up and then plays white noise (or in this case crickets). I thought it would only play for an hour but I woke up 2 hours later to crickets.

Some goals and issues now are
  • Getting Google Assistant to recognize calendar events and automatically set wake up alarms based on the first event of the day.
  • Getting my two Home Mini's to work in stereo, rather than two mono speakers (Maybe it is stereo audio when paired?) But they sound really good!
  • When asking GA to play something on Chromecast, use the Google Home Mini as speakers for the show.
    • Not a high priority, I have decent speakers but the Home Mini is just as good and means I can open up a plug for something else.
  • When the alarm goes off, run a routine to turn on other lights. But that's kind of minor. My lights auto turn on in the morning already, but it'd be nice if they automatically stayed off during work-week holidays (like Thanksgiving).
  • When adding lights to my room, it's natural to say "Turn on/off my bedroom lights." but instead I have to say "Turn on/off my bedroom." When I get a Smart TV and add it to Google Home, is this going to turn on/off my TV too? I could get around this by putting my lights in a room called "My bedroom lights" but Siri/HomeKit doesn't need this treatment.

I do like that I can using my phone number. I can call friends and family and it appears to come from my phone number, I presume through Caller ID spoofing? Cause I know it's not actually using my phone for this.

I definitely made the right choice by going with Google Home/Assistant. I plan to play soft songs for my plant while I'm away. Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours