I use a TI-84 Plus CE, and am possibly planning on getting programs on here for it in the future. My only worry is if the programs I download are dangerous to it, like if they would do the thing where they freeze my calculator, rendering it broken. Is there any good way of checking to see if the programs are dangerous? I know there's the calculator emulator on here, but that doesn't work with TI-84 Plus CE programs. Thanks in advance.

Update: Figured out how to test programs properly on CEmu. Thanks!
CEmu.
>>Click here to download CEmu<< by MateoC

This is an application for your computer in which you can emulate anything you'd usually do on the calculator. By using it you avoid any potential harm to your REAL calculator.
Well there is an on-calc antivirus call Blast Security Suite (BSS) but it's not really necessary if you run the program through Cesium (with backup enabled) or, of course, through CEmu.
(CEmu is the best choice)
Thank you for all the replies, guys. I have tried CEmu before, but the screen was black and said "LCD OFF". I read somewhere that I have to enable the "PWR" option to make it work, but even after then, the screen was still black and read "LCD OFF". Any tips? Thanks again in advance.
Have you tried pressing the ON button on the CEmu keypad, or pressing the computer shortcut key? F12, iirc...
You didn't load a rom file into CEmu. Of course it doesn't work Razz
MateoConLechuga wrote:
You didn't load a rom file into CEmu. Of course it doesn't work Razz

No no, I do have the ROM, and the calculator loads. It's just that the calculator won't work AFTER it is loaded in.
Try reloading the ROM via right clicking the screen and selecting the option. You can also retry to build the ROM.
SM84CE wrote:
Have you tried pressing the ON button on the CEmu keypad, or pressing the computer shortcut key? F12, iirc...

I have tried pressing the ON button on the keypad to no avail.
LAX18 wrote:
Try reloading the ROM via right clicking the screen and selecting the option. You can also retry to build the ROM.

Just tried that, and nothing worked. This is getting tricky.
Are you sure you downloaded the latest development release? Be sure to use the "Development" tab here: https://ce-programming.github.io/CEmu/download

There is also a "Reset CEmu" button in the menubar under Help.
[PixelPerfect] wrote:
I use a TI-84 Plus CE, and am possibly planning on getting programs on here for it in the future. My only worry is if the programs I download are dangerous to it, like if they would do the thing where they freeze my calculator, rendering it broken. Is there any good way of checking to see if the programs are dangerous? I know there's the calculator emulator on here, but that doesn't work with TI-84 Plus CE programs. Thanks in advance.

Update: Figured out how to test programs properly on CEmu. Thanks!

CEmu is probably your best bet. It is always safer to test an unknown program on an emulator before actual hardware.
You're more than welcome to also install and use my security program if you'd like the added ability to test if a program is bad right from your calculator. Keep in mind that my program will only detect truly malicious code, not pranky stuff... and only if either myself or a community member contributes that specific byte sequence to the malware file. The "virus definitions" file updates weekly automatically, but it wont actually have new stuff in it of people do not contribute to it. You also have to manually run the scan, as the hook that would intercept and test programs doesnt seem to be working at present.
It's also a good practice to keep regular backups of your calculator's software, just in case, because programs can at times have unintended results, even between hardware and an emulator. That can be via Cesium, or manually, using your linking program.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours