Hi everyone. I've searched through here and nothing has worked.

Current situation:

One day my calc just began showing ^2 after I would press enter (to clear a line).
Then it went to Sqrt but the entry box was black and flashing.

It's now just a black box in the top left flashing and if I remove the batteries it will say RAM CLEARED...etc... other wise just the black box flashing in the top left.

I've done:
Replaced batteries
Removed the small battery and reset the RAM
I've done the 2ns, left, right, on thing
I've pressed clear, taken a battery out and then put it back in and released the clear.

None of these have worked and I'm desperate. Can anyone help?
You were close to reinstalling the OS, press and hold [del] instead of [clear]. Smile
You can get a tutorial on this here. Let us know if that works!

Edit: LAX18's post got me thinking. If the OS reinstall doesn't work, press [mode]>[alpha]>[S] to start a hardware self check. It can tell you if something is really wrong.
I believe [Clear] + Battery is something to do with a RAM corruption fix. I did it to debrick my calc not too long ago.

EDIT: TheLastMillennials edit got me thinking Razz.

Try cleaning out the link port before you attempt the following. This seems to be a case of a dirty link port (Thank Mateo for the diagnostic). Clean the link port and see if things are different.

--- This section is for an 83+. May or may not apply. For more specfic info, see link ---
Press [On] after the self test counter gets to 20. If you do not, it will go on for a loong time. After that, press enter for all the displays tests. When more numbers appear, start at the top left and go left to right, pressing every button (including arrow keys).
-------

See here for more info.
Hi Edemardil,

IMHO your calculator have a keyboard problem. I think a key or several make contact as they doesnt have to do.

Does your calculator had some soda experience by the past ?

It can also happen with a weak battery. But you have mentionned you try to change them without success, you are sure they was fresh ?

Maybe a unscrew and watch could validate or invalidate my hypothese.

But be carefull, save your data before and watch some youtube video about disassemblig your calculator to know what difficulties you are going to have.

And first of all, because it's a hard operation to do, try any other solution people propose you.

Good luck!
TheLastMillennial wrote:
You were close to reinstalling the OS, press and hold [del] instead of [clear]. Smile
You can get a tutorial on this here. Let us know if that works!

Edit: LAX18's post got me thinking. If the OS reinstall doesn't work, press [mode]>[alpha]>[S] to start a hardware self check. It can tell you if something is really wrong.

None of that worked sadly. The only buttons that work for me is the on button and if the RAM CLEARED screen comes up, the enter button registers.
Dear Friend wrote:
Hi Edemardil,

IMHO your calculator have a keyboard problem. I think a key or several make contact as they doesnt have to do.

Does your calculator had some soda experience by the past ?

It can also happen with a weak battery. But you have mentionned you try to change them without success, you are sure they was fresh ?

Maybe a unscrew and watch could validate or invalidate my hypothese.

But be carefull, save your data before and watch some youtube video about disassemblig your calculator to know what difficulties you are going to have.

And first of all, because it's a hard operation to do, try any other solution people propose you.

Good luck!

I'm a clean freak and nothing that I know of would have spilled on it but I could check. The only battery I didn't change was the little one. I will do that tomorrow. I will try tomorrow to disassemble also then. Thanks. I studied engineering, I hope I can figure it out ;D
I dont think the little one have a problem, irf it was you would have a message.

A bad contact can happen without soda, for exemple a fail on the ground and a little solder break...

Dont try the disassembling now, it's too soon, let try others solutions...

And take some photos when you disassemble it, maybe people can watch an other problem.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours