What's the best graphing calculator for each category below in 2018?
Math/Science: TI-84 Plus CE; CAS: TI-Nspire CX CAS; Programming: TI-84 Plus CE
 65%  [ 13 ]
Math/Science: TI-84 Plus CE; CAS: HP Prime; Programming: TI-84 Plus CE
 25%  [ 5 ]
Math/Science: TI-Nspire CX; CAS: TI-Nspire CX CAS; Programming: TI-84 Plus CE
 10%  [ 2 ]
Math/Science: TI-84 Plus CE; CAS: HP Prime; Programming: HP Prime
 0%  [ 0 ]
None of these is right; my answer is in the topic
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 20

It's been three years since we last did one of these, so we want to get your feedback on the best calculators for Back-to-School. Please note: this is not a popularity contest! We are not asking what your favorite calculator is; please don't just pick your favorite calculator or even just the one(s) you own. The question, specifically is:
  1. What calculator is best for general high school math and science?
  2. What CAS-capable calculator is best for high school and college use?
  3. What calculator is best for programming, whether as a beginner or advanced coder?

If the option you want to select is not listed in the poll, please tell us what your choice is in the comments. Either way, please feel free to explain your vote: it will help us write a better guide this year for Back-to-School.
Thanks for doing another one of these polls! It's always nice to see if calculators are changing at all. However, I don't think this poll is the best way to choose which is best.

I feel like using a 3rd party poll would be the best way to do this. You could easily have 3 sections (which is best for high school math, for CAS, and for programming) with a list of a wide variety of different calculators. I think we've stuck with too many of the same calculators with the current polls.
There are a few new calculators that deserve attention such as the fairly new Numworks calculator. It's supposed to be user friendly and it supports easy and powerful languages out-of-the-box like Python.
We could still have the old monochrome calculators in the poll like the TI 84 plus, the TI 89 ti, etc. They may not be new but they're certainly not bad.
Hopefully this will help improve future back to school polls. Smile

As for what I voted for, I decided on the CE for math (It's the most known, user friendly calculator on the poll), the Prime for CAS (I was torn between the Prime and the Nspire, but the Prime has a few features the Nspire doesn't have such as a touch screen), and the CE again for programming (Since TI-BASIC is the easiest for beginners and advanced users to pick up).
TheLastMillennial wrote:
[...] You could easily have 3 sections (which is best for high school math, for CAS, and for programming) with a list of a wide variety of different calculators. I think we've stuck with too many of the same calculators with the current polls.
There are a few new calculators that deserve attention such as the fairly new Numworks calculator. It's supposed to be user friendly and it supports easy and powerful languages out-of-the-box like Python.
We could still have the old monochrome calculators in the poll like the TI 84 plus, the TI 89 ti, etc. They may not be new but they're certainly not bad.
Hopefully this will help improve future back to school polls. Smile
That's why there's a catch-all "other" option! By all means feel free to choose it and vote for the Numworks calculator, the TI-84 Plus Silver Edition, or the TI-80.

Quote:
As for what I voted for, I decided on the CE for math (It's the most known, user friendly calculator on the poll), the Prime for CAS (I was torn between the Prime and the Nspire, but the Prime has a few features the Nspire doesn't have such as a touch screen), and the CE again for programming (Since TI-BASIC is the easiest for beginners and advanced users to pick up).
I'll be interested to see what the balance between the Prime and the Nspire for the CAS category ends up being.

Edit: Neck-and-neck tie for the first two options so far!
...and now the Nspire has pulled ahead over the Prime for CAS applications by 3 votes. Fascinating.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours