LAX18 wrote:
Legoman314 wrote:
LAX18 wrote:
SM84CE wrote:
Just an FYI, if the user has a prgmTEMP, it will be overwritten, this is highly unlikely, but just putting this out there.

What should I name it then?

Just name it a string of random numbers and letters, like "A1H47D8"

Okay. Can I use "=" or theta?

EDIT FOR RESPONSE: Okay Ill implement this! Thanks!

you could put any character in a program or appvar name, aside from 00h.
EDIT: 00h is the end of a string. So don't put it at the very start of a prgm/appvar (or any variable) name, and don't expect to get the whole string that you make using this method, unless you are planning for multiple strings in the data you are adding to the program.
example:

Code:

//ICE auto-squishes this string, and adds 00h at the end (or as far as my knowledge goes)
"FF01020304050607"→NAME
//open a file with NAME
NOS UPDATE!!!

Whats New:

- Runs ASM and BASIC programs
- Both Types Displayed (Not In Alphabetical Order Though...)

**THIS MAKES NOS A SLIGHTLY FUNCTIONAL SHELL**

You can try the shell out here. Just download the repo and send the "Y1.8xp" program. BE AWARE THAT IT IS NOT ENTIRELY BUG PROOF.

Here is an updated screenshot:
Just a small update:

Whats new:

- Displays Cesium Icons in BASIC programs

Whats being worked on:

- ASM Cesium Icons

This version is NOT on the repo (yet.... Very Happy) but I dont plan to upload until ASM icons are complete.
Okay so I am currently in the process of rewriting NOS to be modular. This will allow the user to build NOS to have custom GUI'S among other cool features. If you have any ideas for module sections, leave a post and I will see about adding one. Currently, I have 2 modules:
- GUI
- Built-In-Apps

EDIT: So modulation is done and I will take the time to post about it

I. Whats is it
Right now, NOS is seperated into various sections. Each section preforms a task and outputs some varibles for other modules. As a result, NOS will be user customisable by editing certain modules and replacing them in the build process (explained later)

II. Building
So to edit NOS and install your custom module, you delete the old module(s) and replace it with the edited one(s). This allows you to inject your own code into the shell. The build process will be in the form of a Windows Batch file that links to the latest version of ICE and compiles the modules. Be aware that if you replace a module with custom code, the module must be able to do what it did before plus what you added or the whole shell may break.

III. Modules
Below is a list of the cirrent modules and their responsibilities.

- SPRITE
Holds sprite data for the program, user customisable

- HEAD
Holds setup and inital values for the shell, user customisable

- SEARCH
Holds program searching and various program attributes, NOT USER CUSTOMISABLE

- UPDATEGUI
Holds the GUI parts that update on every next program call along with Icon display code, user customisable

- CONTROL
Holds the shells controls and the program execution code, user customisable

- SETTINGS
Holds the shells settings menus, user customisable

- BUILTIN
Holds the shells built in functions / programs, user customisable

- SUBROUTINES
Holds various routines for NOS

IIRC they have the following program names:
SPRITE = prgmNOSSPRIT
HEAD = prgmNOSHEAD
SEARCH = prgmSRCH
GUI = prgmNOSGUI
CONTROL = prgmNOSCTRL
SETTINGS = prgmNOSSET
BUILTIN = prgmNOSPROGS
SUBROUTINES = prgmNOSSUB

IV. NOS Store
I plan to make a github pages or wikidot with a module store. This would allow users to find packages modules and easily download and build with these modules.

V. NOS Distros
Now with all of this user customisability, other complete versions of NOS that are distributed are to be called distros. I plan to release 4 myself, NOS Student, NOS School, NOS Home, and NOS Professional / Developers.

i. NOS Student
This distro will have some fuctions tailered directly to students such as program masking and built-in formular database

ii. NOS Teacher (TBD)
This distro would have 'parental controls' for teachers to enable like blocking of the USB and PRGM editor

iii. NOS Home
This cistro would be for average use and would feature basic built in apps like a notepad and a todo list

iv. NOS Professional / Developers
This distro would be tailored to developers and would feature 'one-touch compile' (*cough* poke PT_ about this *cough*), and 'Send to KryptonIDE' (poke KryptonicDragon about this).

VI. Module Development
Module development would be written in ICE with a few system varibles reserved. Vars like STATUS and PROG are reserved for other modules. Also, I will be releasing a developers SDK with information about how to develop modules. This will be a github repo.

Alright.
That is my look at the future of NOS. Sorry for the extremly long post. If you have any questions, post down below and I will get right to ya!
LAX18 wrote:

III. Modules
Below is a list of the cirrent modules and their responsibilities.
- SPRITE
Holds sprite data for the program, user customisable
- HEAD
Holds setup and inital values for the shell, user customisable
- SEARCH
Holds program searching and various program attributes, NOT USER CUSTOMISABLE
- GUI
Holds the GUI for the shell along with Icon display code, user customisable
- CONTROL
Holds the shells controls and the program execution code, user customisable
- SETTINGS
Holds the shells settings menus, user customisable
- BUILTIN
Holds the shells built in functions / programs, user customisable

What are the prgm names of these subroutines?
Another update. this one will be more of a progress update.

[100%] Search for ASM programs
[100%] Search for BASIC programs
[100%] Display BASIC Icons (if present)
[100%] Modulate the program for easy changes
[100%] NOS Build File (build.bat)
[100%] NOS Settings
[100%] NOS Colors Menu
[100%] (Re)Implmenting ASM detection
[100%] Run ASM and BASIC programs
[100%] Rewriting Search Routine
[100%] ASM Icon Display
[100%] Bug Fixes

[10%] Save position in list on exit
[10%] Sorting

[20%] NOS Pinned Toolbar
[0%] NOS Online Docs / Market
[0%] MultiDistros
[0%] Custom NOS header detect / support (NIS)
[0%] NIS Authorisation Key System
[0%] Program type detection

New Progress:
- I am starting the NOS SDK and general docs (now on a temporary hold)
- For devs and those intrested, here is the BETA release on Github
- I am continuing my work on allowing the user to pin programs.

6-21-18 New Progress
- There seems to be holdup as I wait for the new C Libs to be released and a new feature to be added to ICE.
- With help from beck, I have rewritten the search algorithim and am currently working on implementing it properly.
- ASM Icon display and the pinned toolbar have been put on hold until this is done
This is looking great, I see you've made a lot of progress! I tried the beta version, and although I couldn't successfully run any programs with it, it seems like you're off to a good start. Can't wait to try the final shell!
Okay, this is worthy of a new post.

I have made the NOS website!!!!
You can find this here

I will also be trying to release beta 0.5.1 tonight, stay tuned for that!
Beta Release 0.5.1 is here!!!

I have released NOS Beta 0.5.1 for download. This is available via GitHub. Please follow the download instructions there.

Here is a screencapture of the new settings menu:
Updates:
I have changed a few things since the last update, most notably:
- Added a terminal, planning to allow applications to be created for it easily.

In progress:
- Create Program routine
- Rename Program routine
- Delete Program routine
- Credits Page
- NIS

***NOTE: On official release, only NOS developers edition will come with the terminal preinstalled***
It looks good so far. I' m interested what the project will turn out like! Good Work!

Is it possible for a mockup to be made, with apps and icons? I'd love to see one!
A mockup? Do you mean a screenshot or animated gif of the program working? I will do that next time I am on PC (along with sending files to jcgter and trying FSH)
Progress Update:

7/10/18 Notes
- After suffering data loss, NOS was restored to its former glory.
- I added a terminal (see above update for more info). This has plans to allow special programs to add commands to it and some programs to be designed to run from it (i.e Windows Batch Files).
- I have started work on a general purpose file editor. The basic editor, where you can write notes, has most of the engine stuff done already.

The basic notepad will be available on all NOS distros created by me. The advanced edior, the one that can handle BASIC programs will be only available on the professional and developers distros. I am not sure about the future of the editor.

7/13/18 Notes
I have rewritten the editor to work better with scrolling, saving, and general usability. This has caused some delays in its progress though. Here is what the progress list looks like.

[100%] Input Routine
[100%] Line Wrap Routine
[100%] Moving Up
[100%] Moving Down
[100%] Linebreaks

[0%] Delete Characters
Routine
[0%] Scrolling
[0%] Moving Left and Right

[0%] Saving and Loading
[0%] Support for editing BASIC programs
Okay, So here is a quick update and some ideas for the future of NOS.

I finished the new program prompt (just needs to clear my bugchecks). This makes NOS WAY more competitive. I have also finished cursor movements for my built-in editor.

For new plans,
I am planning to implements Cesiums VAT sort code along with the [ALPHA] key search and possibly, a [STO->], search for entire program name search option (TBD).

I have also made plans to allow programmers to make NOS specific programs (aptly named, NOSAPPS) that are regular programs, ones that follow a traditional programming language, but have extra features. These would be packaged into AppVars and have advanced headers including author, version, icon, proper title, among others.

I know NOS is currently written in ICE, but I plan to decompile the final, 1.0 release and *attempt* to use Mateo's app.inc file to package NOS as an app. This way, NOS can take advantage of the TIOS command, ExecLib, and those like it.

Finally, and this is a big if, I just repaired my thought to be FUBAR Ti-83+ and am in the process of learning z80 assembly for it. I wish to use this to *potentially* port NOS to the Ti83 / Ti 84 series of monochrome calcs. This is still a big if and potentially will be implemented if I deem myself capable.

The above progress and additions will be added to the progress list above as well.
Here is a bit of a progress update.

With the introduction of ti_DetectAny into the new c libraries, NOS is being rewritten to support this. This allows the program scan to be *MUCH* quicker and displays both BASIC and ASSEMBLY programs side by side.

I have also grown tired of the old GUI. It wasted too much space. I will keep it as an optional GUI pack for the initial release (Aptly named NOS Legacy GUI). The new GUI will be more compact and utilize more of the available screen space.

Once these are implemented, I will work on the beta release checklist. I had originally planned for an initial release this month, however, I have pushed it back to sometime this fall.

EDIT: Program execution has been restored to its former glory and the new GUI update has been rolled out. All programs now display together (BASIC and ASM both appear mixed up together). I have added new type detection as well (Detects if it is C, ICE compiled, or regular ASM). I have implemented a block from running ICE Source files as well and I am planning to create a new Pinned Programs Menu along with adding KryptonIDE editing support. First, I will work on sorting the VAT.
So its time I update the checklist:

[100%] Search for ASM programs
[100%] Search for BASIC programs
[100%] Display BASIC Icons (if present)
[100%] Modulate the program for easy changes
[100%] NOS Build File (build.bat)
[100%] NOS Settings
[100%] NOS Colors Menu
[100%] (Re)Implmenting ASM detection
[100%] Run ASM and BASIC programs
[100%] Rewriting Search Routine
[100%] ASM Icon Display
[100%] Bug Fixes
[100%] Program type detection (Display BASIC or ASM, will add C and ICE / SOURCE later)
[100%] Terminal
[100%] Rewrite of some Calls for better modification
[100%] Credits

[95%] NOS Pinned Toolbar
[10%] Save position in list on exit
[0%] Cesium [ALPHA] support
[0%] Stop 20kb RAM leak / program execution

[95%] New Program Prompt
[60%] NOS Editor
[0%] Rename Program Prompt
[0%] Delete Program Prompt
[0%] Archive Program Toggle
[0%] Help Menu
[40%] NOS Online Docs / Market
[10%] Sorting
[0%] MultiDistros
[0%] Custom NOS header detect / support (NIS)
[0%] NIS Authorisation Key System
[0%] NOSAPPS
[0%] Ti83 Family z80 port
[0%] NOS App
[0%] Make NOS Userbar Razz

I have finished upgrading to ti_DetectAny and updating the GUI. Now my focus has shifted to internal features such as making my pinned programs menu execute, among others.
LAX18 300 POSTS!!!

Icon Creation Contest!!!
I am terrible at creating good looking sprites so I am opening this up to everybody!

I need an ICE sprite for the default icon for ICE, ASM, C, BASIC, and ICE Source files. They are shown when there is no icon detected.

Size: Preferably 16x16 but can be 8x8 as well. No other sizes please

If I choose your icon(s), your name will be added to the credits. I would prefer if the icons shared a similar, uniform look.

For now, there is no deadline, but to submit, you can either PM me or post them in this thread.

Thanks!
Sure thing!

I whipped up these icons in paint really quick. They have a pretty uniform look with a different color and name for each file type. Hope you like them!

https://imgur.com/a/B6AJifC

Those are just a few, the full .zip of variants can be found here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AKF3sKpr7GNc3-XBaOxc_N-IQHqomPUj
I had some spare time, so I tried my hand at various icon designs. I ended up designing three different styles.

First I have a design inspired by the current interface of NOS, taking the outline and monochromatic palette. The design uses a formatting of two rows, an upper row of 4 pixels and a lower row of 5. Two designs for the C Icon have been provided, as one fits the formatting the other icons use, whilst the other utilizes doesn't leave as much empty space. I used a bit of subtle detailing, but I have included a strictly black and white version with the Black icons in case it is incompatible.

The second design takes a more generic design, but with modernistic and borderless styling.

The last design takes a completely different approach from the prior sleek and geometric designs, and offers a rounded design, with minor hand anti-aliasing.

All designs take into consideration viewing at both large and small scales, for whatever need they should be suited for. Additionally, the designs use the abbreviations "src" for "source" and "bsc" for "basic". This was sadly necessary due to size constraints. They follow a 16x16 size, and are in png format, using at maximum eight different colors.

The zip file containing all designs can be found at: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bmUsLNn27tcTYa1HhHiLKADoKWiUhzke/view?usp=sharing
Updates:
Whats done:
[100%] Updated Settings Menu
[100%] Rename Program Prompt
[100%] New Program Prompt
[100%] Info / Credits Screen
[100%] Help Screen
[100%] Leak Discovered And Fixed (Thanks PT_!)

Whats being worked on:
[80%] NOS Toolbar
[0%] Delete Programs Prompt
[0%] Toggle Archive Status
[5%] VAT Sort code

As for the Icon Contest...
I am having a really hard time deciding what I should pick. I plan to offer them as optional addon, but as for the default set, I have not chosen yet. I may create a poll, I dunno yet. Just know that no entries have been ruled out yet and the contest is still open.
I've entered! I decided to go for a gradient effect.

Album.

I think the gradient looks really cool, but I don't know if it fits the style of this particular shell.

Really, I think you should include all the candidates from every user in the shell; but for the default, I'd say Escher's second set or OldNewTimer's set would look the best. Escher's first set would look incredible with a dark theme! I personally don't like his third design as much, it looks impressive, but a bit too 2009 for me. Razz

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours