New owner, got it this am and I see this is a common bug with TI, but nothing has worked so far.

Windows refuses to install the usb driver for connect ce. I have tried auto and manual. No matter what, it says it has encounter a problem and refuses to install the driver.

Is there a way to bypass windows and install it anyway?

Thanks.
Download TI Connect CE. There is no built-in driver available on the calculator. Hope this helps Smile
MateoConLechuga wrote:
Download TI Connect CE. There is no built-in driver available on the calculator. Hope this helps Smile

I have TI Connect CE and it is the problem. Driver is there but windows will not let it install.i
Try
1. restarting your computer
2. reinstalling TI Connect
3. the alternative connectivity software TiLP (make sure to uninstall TI Connect before you install this)
TheLastMillennial wrote:
Try
1. restarting your computer
2. reinstalling TI Connect
3. the alternative connectivity software TiLP (make sure to uninstall TI Connect before you install this)

Tried that and more (except for 3).

I wondered if having older ti software (ti connect) was the issue so I removed it
For good measure i did a system restore to make sure it was gone in the registry.
Reinstall CE, same issue.

I then removed the software and did another system restore. I installed TI Connect (NOT CE-for my 83+).

Ironically it works to a degree (screen shot doesn't work) where the CE software doesn't work at all!

I will contact TI and see if they can fix it before I send it back...

Thanks..
Don't send it back, just install TiLP Smile

Here's the latest link: https://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/374/37481.html
MateoConLechuga wrote:
Don't send it back, just install TiLP Smile

Here's the latest link: https://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/374/37481.html

Will this let me backup data??

Note I just tried the CE software on a win 10 laptop and it works. Maybe it just doesn't really work with 7?

But it doesn't look like the CE software will do a backup, which is what I want to do.

Note I have a 83+ (also new) that does connect just fine but for some reason can never complete a backup. And I want backups so if I tinker too much I can restore. The 83+ won't let me install apps without deleting something, but I really want a backup first.

Anyway let me give it a try and see what happens!
TiLP tends to be more forgiving + gives you more options for connectivity to play with. And it has usually been faster when I've used it.
It crashes on startup because of missing files (iconv.dll) .

starting to think TI=bugfest!!
fletchti wrote:
It crashes on startup because of missing files (iconv.dll) .

starting to think TI=bugfest!!

Found others with exact same issue and they had a source for the missing file (why don't they give you the missing file in the first place?). It was also missing other files that I had to manually download but I did get past that. I have to wonder if I got a good copy because I can't understand why they would release a program that was missing so many files...so maybe what I got was a bad copy.

Now the program runs but gives this message when I try to find the calc:

Msg: illegal operation or argument.
Cause: the program which uses this library is buggy. Fire-up the developer!

Well at least they are honest!
I emailed Ti and they really couldn't help much so....

Used process of elimination by trying CE on another Win 7 machine and it worked.

So I had to wipe out my 6 month old Win 7 machine at home and reinstall. Not sure why windows kept blocking the driver install, but it did. I am almost scared to install ti connect for the 83+ but I will do a system backup so if it screws things up again, I won't have to start over from scratch.
Even better luck today: got both Ti-connect CE and Tilp working on the same machine. I tried this on 3 different pc's and now all are working. My home pc + 2 at work. I got some help from one of the authors and also from his older posts (which is what solved it once and for all)

The problem always comes down to Windows usb drivers and you need at least 1 helper app, but probably 2 helper apps (2 at work needed both apps, home only needed first app).

So here is what worked for me with getting tilp working, hope this helps someone else:

1 download and install GTK+ 2.24 libraries

2 download and install tilp, but uncheck the part about downloading the GTK libraries.

3) When you first run the program you may get error messages about missing libraries and or dll's.
The only one you need to worry about is called iconv.dll. I found other people looking for it as well and you can get it in a couple of places but search for libiconv-1.9.1.dll and it should be inside of that zip.

4) Now if you run tilp, it will probably fail. The reason as I understand it is it fails because Windows can't handle 2 drivers going to the same device id (the calc) so it needs a helper program to fool windows into working correctly (they call it a filter). The helper app you need is called libusb-win32-bin-1.2.6.0

After that is installed try and see if tilp runs. It did on my home pc but 2 at work needed the other helper called zadig-2.3. This fixes another windows issue as I understand it but anyway when you run this make sure this is checked (by authors old post) List all devices, create a catalog file, sign a catalog and install Autogenerated certificate.

If it doesn't work the first time, try app 1 only the second time and see what happens. That fixed my home pc. I also used helper app #1 to get the silver link driver going for my 83+ without even installed TI connect. I am finally able to get backups for both calcs so I experiment and learn. Thanks for the help from the author...I hope this helps someone having same issues.

One more thing: If you are a newbie like me and need a book , DON'T buy the electronic version (Kindle) of Ti-84 Plus Graphing Calculator For Dummies because it has errors in it. The print version is fine but the symbols did not translate correctly. The 2nd key is displayed as a ' or something like that and even the on button is wrong. I reported this to Amazon and they reported it to the publisher and I have the print edition on the way..

Happy 4th!
I didn't notice that you had created a topic here, and nobody notified me Smile
For years, forum posts have effectively been the preferred way to get support, so I'll probably discard your subscription request to tilp-users.

Quote:
the alternative connectivity software TiLP (make sure to uninstall TI Connect before you install this)

This was bad (outdated) advice, though unfortunately still relatively frequent.
It's been years since TILP (libticables) started using a signed libusb-win32 driver, which makes it possible to use the filter driver (to work around the fundamental Windows limitations of requiring drivers for USB devices in vendor-specific class, and then of requiring yet more complexity to install two drivers for the same piece of hardware) and install both TI's software and TILP Wink
And then, nowadays, a signed driver binary isn't enough - the catalog and stuff need to be signed as well, which is entirely silly since self-signing (which is what Zadig does) makes the issues go away. Automated filter driver installation is discouraged by upstream libusb-win32.

Quote:
It was also missing other files that I had to manually download but I did get past that. I have to wonder if I got a good copy because I can't understand why they would release a program that was missing so many files...so maybe what I got was a bad copy.

Nope, you got a good copy. The thing is, duplicating DLLs is a very bad practice, which, on Windows especially, causes many more runtime issues for users down the road than having them installed by using a single, appropriate installer...
Trust me, the previous maintainers and users of TILP spent way too much time fighting with copies of DLLs floating around in other programs (yes, unless developers use extra complexity known as WinSxS - very few of them do - the Windows DLL loader only cares about the DLL name, rather than its full path, so whichever program starts first with its own copy of the DLL imposes that copy to other programs). Issues simply disappear when programs do not selfishly copy DLLs around, which is easier for the maintainers but a source of pain for users, and users make sure that they're using the appropriate GTK+ runtime and that they're not using conflicting badly written other programs at the same time. Easy, right ? Very Happy

TL;DR: Windows limitations again causing user - and maintainer - pain.

Also, there's definitely a way to install TILP with the GTK+ runtime on Windows without having to hunt elsewhere for libiconv - I basically never had to do it Smile
Out of habit, I check the box which causes the installation of some compatibility DLLs. Maybe iconv.dll is precisely part of these compatibility DLLs, and as such, checking the box is actually a requirement, not just something that doesn't hurt ? In that case, I should be writing that down into the README, though most people don't read it anyway.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours