They are closing our bookstore and had a huge sale. Picked up last calc they had 83+ for $28 . Everything I have read said it is a good calc except for low memory.

I am just tinkering around, nothing more and thinking about getting another with more mem.

What is a better choice, a 84 CE or NSPIRE(which ver?)

NSPIRE is supposed to be the more advanced, but CE is supposed to be more compatible with existing software.
I am leaning towards the CE for that reason but would like feedback.

I have some questions about the 83 but will do that later..

Thanks..
Please refer to this topic; I'd go for the CE. Feel free to ask any questions you may have!
Thank you!
Ok here are a few ?'s regarding the 83+.

1) I bought the usb cable and it works fine, but when i try to do a backup it gets to the end and then says it fails. However sometimes it still leaves a file behind that might be the backup. How can I tell and any idea what makes it fail?

2) I want to backup because I tried to install a sreadsheet app from TI and it says I don't have the memory (hence wanting a newer unit-but can't find any deals right now). I wanted to backup so I could remove some programs already installed. One looks useless (easydata) unless you buy hardware from the company, so this one can go. Any others you know are of no use?

I have only had this a few days so really newbie at it..

Thanks!
Which file is it leaving behind? I assume you're storing the backup on your computer? If so, I don't know why it'd error out and leave something behind. Try backing up small chunks of data at a time, like 10 at most at once. Then when a chunk fails to transfer, you can narrow down which program is causing the trouble easier.

To get more space, I'd suggest deleting languages you aren't using, that frees up lots of space. Other than that, it's up to you to decide if an app is useless to you or not. I don't think there are any other apps like easydata.

You can get to the memory management menu by pressing [2nd]>[+]>[2]
If you want to view all files, press [1]

I don't have a TI 83 plus myself, nor do I use the old TI Connect (which is what I assume you're using) so I hope this was all accurate! Smile
Ok thanks...I will try removing sections of the backup to try and find where it is failing.

The file is probably the backup file it created but never finished.

Ok will look for langs to delete...thanks..
fletchti wrote:
Ok thanks...I will try removing sections of the backup to try and find where it is failing.

The file is probably the backup file it created but never finished.

Ok will look for langs to delete...thanks..

I tried doing 1 part at a time (apps, arc, ram) and it failed on each one.

I will have a new CE tomorrow but still would like to figure out what is wrong. Is there anyway to troubleshoot TI-Connect?

Thanks.
I would buy a Ti-nSpire CX CAS (which I already have) because it has high memory space, it has 3d graphing, a color screen, can solve for x, y, or any other variables, and it can play games such as doom, gbc games, gba games, fps games, 2d and 3d minecraft, AND MANY OTHERS.
#necropost

Or you could get an HP Prime G2 which has 4 times the RAM and ROM, two or three times the speed, and has most of the Nspire's features. It also has a touch screen.
Boom beat that! Laughing
Or you could go with the classic Ti-84 Plus CE, which all schools say "you must buy or we will put you in a headlock". I like how schools make you buy a $150+ dollar calculator to use for 4 years, in one or two classes. And then my Calculus class tells me that I can't use my calculator because I need to show my work. What? I spent $150 for nothing. So ultimately, just don't buy a calculator. Smile Smile Smile
Or you could pay like $30 more and get the proper Nspire CX-II (CAS) or the older Nspire CX (possibly used) for cheaper (but note the CX-II does not yet have a native SDK, though it has a Lua one) . If you don't need the powerful features of the Nspire, you could always get the Numworks calculator for only $99. It even has a simple CAS and Python as well as a fully open source OS. They are all fully certified for most important tests.

The problem with the Prime, in my opinion, is the lack of native SDK (e.g. C or C++ SDK). It's really cool to say you have a calc that powerful but it isn't easy to take advantage of it with the Prime Programming Language. I also have to say I found the interface much less intuitive than the one on the Nspire. The Prime and the CX are similarly priced so I'd recommend paying not much more for the full Nspire experience.

Finally, I think the Casio fx-CG50 is a pretty good deal for general lower math use as well as hobbyist/programming stuff. The existence of a solid SDK as well as the built in Python (much like the one in the Numworks, but a little bit more fleshed out) are both huge plusses for the CG50. Though it lacks a CAS, it does have 3D graphing and other nice features.
Hey the last millenial can you play 3d minecraft and Doom, Wolfenstein or any other 3d games on the HP prime I THINK NOT the ti-nspire cx cas can.
And the ti nspire cx cas can connect to the internet with an attachment can play movies play sound has a touchpad and is more durable than the hp prime g2, it can also solve functions 3d graph use sensors and many other functions
Sadly I have to agree UDXS, there's not great SDK support. That's probably because the developers aren't that good, even people that work at HP don't like them.
Tim W wrote:
Am I allowed to gripe and moan and complain about the POS developers? Because seriously, they are some lazy bas tards.

Terminator21112 wrote:
Hey the last millenial can you play 3d minecraft and Doom, Wolfenstein or any other 3d games on the HP prime I THINK NOT the ti-nspire cx cas can. ...can play movies play sound
OK you got me there. Razz
Quote:
And the ti nspire cx cas can connect to the internet with an attachment ... it can also solve functions 3d graph use sensors and many other functions
So can the prime.
Quote:
has a touchpad
Why would you want a cruddy touchpad when you could have a very nice touch screen? I've found the touch screen far more useful and intuitive than the touchpad could ever be.
Quote:
and is more durable than the hp prime g2
I don't know where you got that info, could you share it?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours