So I have heard so much about the Milky Way season and I just want to learn more. Is this a rare occurence? As far as I can tell, thismis regarded as a cherished and rare photography opportunity. Also, how can I witness this phenomenon. I live in Maine so I am curious as to how I can see this. I would also like to know if it can be seen way up north.

Thanks!
It certainly can!

The Milky Way is strongly visible during the Summer months because we're on the side of the Sun that lets us see the Galactic Core. For instance, this photo was taken in June 2017. The Galactic Core is the brightest spot but as you get to the upper left corner it fades away. The Milky Way is still there, but the arms aren't nearly as bright as the center so they're harder to see. I took a panorama of the night Sky last August in Wisconsin but I haven't put it together or really done any editing on it but I'll see what I can do in the near future. It'll serve a much better visual aide than this single photo. During the other months, we can (sort of) see the outward facing arms of the Milky Way. One important note is that you shouldn't go during a Full Moon since it'll wash out a lot of the night sky next to it. Usually 7 days before & after (as well as a New Moon) are the best nights to go.

Regarding location, you can definitely see it in Maine! Now, how high the Galactic Core is over the horizon varies based on your latitude. Those in Australia can see the Milky Way directly overhead during these months while myself in California can see it healthily over the horizon. Somewhere like Maine will find the galactic core to the Milky Way a little lower but still visible. My app, PhotoPills, puts galactic core visibility from about 10pm to 2am in July for you in Maine. But I encourage you to do your own research so you know where to look and where you should go.

Use a site like DarkSiteFinder to find a place with low light pollution. Or, if you prefer something more offline, check out this blog to learn how to add this to Google Earth. (Which is what I do because you can also simulate the Milky ways position in Google Earth as well) There's also some great information here regarding light pollution, and how much light pollution affects the night sky. It also introduces you to the "Bortle Scale" with a neat infographic. There's also this blurb:

Ethan Siegel wrote:
In order to hit a 1 on the Bortle scale, the amount of artificial light around can be no more than 1% the total natural light from the pristine, Moonless night sky. The most light-polluted urban areas typically hit eight or nine on the Bortle scale, meaning that the amount of artificial light polluting the night sky is at least 2700% the natural amount.

Ideally, you'll want some place with no light pollution in the direction of the Milky Way. And not just any place, somewhere South of the biggest offending location. Why?

Imagine this. You're in Omaha Nebraska so your light pollution map looks something like this. Through research you find that the Milky Way rises in the South and sets in the West. If you go North and just to the East of Onawa, you'll have to look over the city to see the galactic core. Which, is going to be a pain in your rear because the galactic core may not be high enough to clear the light pollution. I say may because that's 60 miles away from Omaha, so it's possible the light pollution from the city may not be a big factor.

But, if you can go down South to Auburn or Tecumseh, you'll have better luck as there's no huge light polluter to the South or West for a while. The biggest light polluter is Kansas City but they're slightly to the East of where you'll be looking.

As far as Maine goes, I'll leave that to you to figure out. I only used the cities above as an example. If you want to send me a PM of where you are in Maine, I can certainly try and help you find some locations and tell you where to look. But that should be mostly your responsibility since I don't want to plan your whole weekend or night, and then not be able see the Milky Way because it's behind a mountain or I gave wrong advice.

I hope you get to see it this Summer, or even next! Please share any photos you may take and any astonishment you feel when you look at the night sky Smile
Thank you SO much for that information!!! Here in Maine, there is quite literally no light pollution. Heck the nearest city is 30 minutes to my east. This would be my first real introduction to astronomy.

I think I can research the location. I already got a good one picked out. I have a camp that looks out over a pond to the west. I believe this would be great as:
Alex wrote:
the Milky Way rises in the South and sets in the West.

Once again, thanks for all the help!

EDIT: It appears as though this location is less than ideal. It has a green rating on the DarkSiteFinder.
Sure thing! I spent 7 weeks in Camden, Maine back in 2009. I never once went stargazing and I regret it. I based the 10p-2a estimation off Camden (cause it seemed kind of in the middle). It's really incredible to just go out there and look up. Bring a blanket to lay down on, some hot cocoa, and some friends for a great Summers night.

If you're looking for something that's a little more "exciting" the Perseid Meteor Shower peaks around August 12th, in the North. It's not going to make for a thrilling night but seeing 7-12 shooting stars an hour instead of maybe 1 every two hours is as exciting as it gets. Laughing
Alex wrote:
The Milky Way is still there, but the arms aren't nearly as bright as the center so they're harder to see. I took a panorama of the night Sky last August in Wisconsin but I haven't put it together or really done any editing on it but I'll see what I can do in the near future. It'll serve a much better visual aide than this single photo.

Here's that panorama; it's about 30 photos stitched together, the more photos I added the more distorted it got so I took it into Photoshop to make the ground as flat as possible (Lightroom was making the ground as barreled as possible). In an ideal panorama the ground would be flat and the Milky Way would be at a more parabolic arch than is shown here. This panorama covers roughly 180 degrees from left to right, you can see the same straight dirt road in both lower corners.

You'll see that the galactic core of the Milky Way is just on the horizon. This was taken at about 11pm (Wisconsin time). Had we waited a few hours we maybe could have seen the core rise above the pollution. But it's also possible that had there been an absence of low clouds in the distance, the light pollution wouldn't have been a (huge) problem. But as it was, it was midnight and we wanted to get home, which was about a 40 minute drive through country roads.

Wisconsin Milky Way (Pano) by Alex Glanville, on Flickr

Coincidentally, this image was taken on August 12th during the Perseid meteor shower of 2017. I actually have a few photos with meteors in them! It's the whole reason why we went star gazing that night.

But yeah, during the off-season months we really just see the parts of the Milky Way that are to the left of this image, when our view of the galactic core is "behind us." Here's a page that shows where we are in the Milky Way, and should help you visualize what we're seeing in the night sky during Summer months (the Galactic Center) vs the Winter months (facing away from the galactic center).
VERY cool!

Wisconsin is fairly close to Maine in terms of northern positioning so I am REALLY excited to see what I can pull off. Would a green area on darksitefinder be okay to view this? That is where my camp is and I would like to use that.

Once again, thank you very much for helping me!
Yup! Pretty much all the photos of the Milky Way I've shot (including this one) have been in a light green area, I shot this photo near Taylor, WI. It won't be this visible to your eyes but you'll be able to see it. Smile

And just a nitpick to myself, this isn't the best edit because the Milky Way has no color. I had the software put it together last night and then edited it so the milky way stood out more. I'll try and get around to editing it proper in a few days Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours