With the increased activity of several people creating their own IRC bot, which can be used in #cemetech and other places, we want to make some steadfast rules. This will ensure the bots do not overrun the IRC channel:

• Don't test until pretty much features are implemented. We don't want bots leaving and joining all the time to test new features.
  • Don't use #cemetech for testing. That's what #flood is for. Note that if you are testing bots in #flood, don't join #cemetech as well, to prevent leaving and joining mesages spam.
  • Don't use colors. In #cemetech a rule exists that a bot shouldn't output any formatted text or colors.
  • Be sure the bot is as stable as possible. That means 1) it shouldn't timeout all the time. Host on a server or something. 2) Users in #cemetech should not have to test the bot.
  • Administration approval. Before you're bot wants to join #cemetech, be sure to ask one of the admins if it's allowed.

If your bot doesn't satisfy (one of) the above conditions, please don't add your bot to #cemetech, otherwise it might get kicked or banned.
Yup... message received.

EDIT: Apparently I have to add onto this post.
What other functions should I add to my bot to make it 'usefull'? Please keep in mind that it is written in python.
(and someone is probobly going to tell me that this post is wrong and should go in the projects thread)
LAX18, please don’t quote an entire post just to say 3 words...
LAX18 wrote:
What other functions should I add to my bot to make it 'usefull'? Please keep in mind that it is written in python.

Generally speaking, how can a bot add something of value to #cemetech? A bot that can check the weather, fetch a song a user is scrobbling to last.fm, or anything similar doesn't add value to our channel.

Quote:
(and someone is probobly going to tell me that this post is wrong and should go in the projects thread)

In regards to LAXbot, we have no idea what functions it currently has or that you plan to implement. A topic would be a good start so you can document your progress and so others can follow along, ask questions, and provide feedback.
As PT_ said, we'd be very interested to hear what your bot might be able to do, and how you envision it helping #cemetech's users. The few allowed bots (Melisma/Brickster, Cemetech, RunerBot, and a few others) are responsible for things like opping, translating z80 and ez80 assembly code and hex, or keeping track of new users. If you think there's something missing, we're keen to have your help! On the other hand, these rules exist to prevent the channel from being overrun every time someone new learns how to make a Python IRC bot (that's what #flood is for). And it's a lesson learned from experience: we've had overzealous bots brought in without permission before that (for example) spoke without being spoken to, so we had to codify the rules.

Finally, I think there might be some confusion about Michael's quoting comment. Not only was your post too short, it also followed a general misuse of quoting that I've noticed lately. Quoting is particularly important when (a) you're responding to a post other than the one directly above yours, and/or (b) you're responding to a specific sentence or paragraph of a post, including the one above yours. If you're responding to the entire post directly above yours, it's entirely redundant to quote it. Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours