So basically Linux is better for programming etc, and Windows for work/gaming? Then Linux fits me better I guess Wink
As a long time Linux user I can say using only Linux is difficult you will always find yourself needing to run an .EXE or just wanting to use windows for whatever other reason, in this case I would recommend dual-booting Windows 10 and Linux or if that sound a bit tough then maybe just take some time to learn about Virtual Machines i currently dual-boot but mainly use Windows 10 as I am now, with a CLI Ubuntu Virtual Machine for android ROM development or any other kind as i am quite unfamiliar with visual studio and such and I can definitely say it is far more convenient to use a virtual machine. Regarding Windows 10, I think people complain mostly due to the automatic feedback or Telemetry services Microsoft has implemented that tracks your typing etc, basically a LEGAL keylogger, its not malicious but it's annoying.In short run windows and a Linux VM as you can do most needed things with a VM there are exceptions like i probably wouldn't dd (format) a HDD from inside the VM, those kinds things I would do from native Linux hence one of the reasons I keep it on duel boot. If you have any questions please feel free to message me. Sorry for rambling.
So in a 4 hours long sessions, I tried to setup a dual booting of Windows and Linux (with the great help of both Mateo and oldmud0!), and it partially worked, and partially not. I was being able to install Linux from an USB stick, but when rebooting the laptop, it always goes to Windows, no matter what I do. I tried switching the order of bootings, first the USB HDD or so, and then the Windows Boot Loader, but that didn't work either. Changing the boot mode from "UEFI" to "Legacy" resulted in the system didn't recognize any boot. I think it has to do with the bootloader from Linux being in the wrong partition or so, but I've no idea Sad

Click to enlarge

I can install the general boot loader in these sections:

Click to enlarge

Everytime I tried, it installed it in the first one, ATA TOSHIBA MQ.... Help will be greatly appreciated! Smile
You are going to want to get some sort of bootloader on a usb (use your linux bootable stick to put grub or something on a usb) and then boot to that usb. From there, I'm not sure what you would do, go into your linux partition maybe install refind boot manager to see all available bootloaders?
That means I need to plug in that USB everytime I want to reboot my laptop?
PT_ wrote:
That means I need to plug in that USB everytime I want to reboot my laptop?

No, after you get into your linux partition you can just run sudo apt-get install refind (After installing the ppa, see the link above) and refind will always be the first thing you boot to.
A linux distro like Ubuntu or ZorinOS dual boot automatically. They are a lot, lot easier to set up.:d
Linux mint is pretty much the samething as ubuntu, except with ui changes.
I dont understand why all the tutorials and guides and reccomendations say "use this specialized way", instead of just clicking install alongside windows10/7 and letting the insftaller do its thing, then later allowing you to go back and tweak things yourself once everything is set up.
Yeah, tutorials make it way more complicated. Many linux distributions do all the paritioning and installing by itself.
Sorry to revive this, but, I would recommend running linux through VirtualBox:

My PC with terrible specs used to blue screen on windows 7, I upgraded to Ubuntu and it still crashed a lot. I did a lot of programming on ubuntu though. Then, I upgraded to Windows 10 (for free Razz) and run Ubuntu through VirtualBox. It works very well.
timedia wrote:
Sorry to revive this, but, I would recommend running linux through VirtualBox:

My PC with terrible specs used to blue screen on windows 7, I upgraded to Ubuntu and it still crashed a lot. I did a lot of programming on ubuntu though. Then, I upgraded to Windows 10 (for free Razz) and run Ubuntu through VirtualBox. It works very well.

How does Ubuntu crash a lot, but running it on a VM work great?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours