PolyJS

PolyJS is a lightweight, fast, and easy to use JavaScript library for manipulating 2D polygons on the HTML5 Canvas.

It lets you create, modify and draw polygons. It also lets you attach points to other points (with or without an offset) so that you can potentially change everything on the screen just by adjusting one value.

I really want to see what kinds of games and art people can make using PolyJS. It lets you do this unique, simple, and interesting art style.

You can download the docs from here, and the latest build from here! Happy Polygoning!

(If you are interested in contributing or just want to poke around, my GitHub repo is here)

Here's a random demo. The shapes do not have to be triangles!

Code:
var pJS = new PolyJS(document.getElementById("canvas"));
pJS.canvas.width = 240;
pJS.canvas.height = 240;

function createTriMesh(width, height, triWidth, triHeight, skewFactor) {
  var index = -1,
    horizTris = width / triWidth;
  var skewX = () => (Math.floor(Math.random() * 2) - 1) * Math.floor((triWidth * Math.random()) / skewFactor),
    skewY = () => (Math.floor(Math.random() * 2) - 1) * Math.floor((triHeight * Math.random()) / skewFactor)
  for (var j = 0; j < height; j += triHeight) {
    for (var i = 0; i < width; i += triWidth) {
      var a = i / triWidth,
        b = j / triHeight;
      index++;
      var points = [
        [i + skewX(), j + triHeight + skewY()]
      ];
      if (i) {
        points[0] = {
          attached: [pJS.polygons[pJS.polygons.length - 1], 1]
        };
      }
      if (j) {
        points.push({
          attached: [pJS.polygons[2 * ((b - 1) * horizTris + a)], 0]
        });
        points.push({
          attached: [pJS.polygons[2 * ((b - 1) * horizTris + a) + 1], 1]
        });
      } else {
        points.push([i, j]);
        points.push([i + triWidth, j]);
      }
      var lastPolygon = new pJS.Polygon(points, color(), color());
      new pJS.Polygon([{
          attached: [lastPolygon, 2]
        },
        [i + triWidth + skewX(), j + triHeight + skewY()], {
          attached: [lastPolygon, 0]
        }
      ], color(), color());
    }
  }
  pJS.draw()
}

function color() {
  return "#" + Math.floor(256 * Math.random()).toString(16).padStart(2, 0) + Math.floor(256 * Math.random()).toString(16).padStart(2, 0) + Math.floor(256 * Math.random()).toString(16).padStart(2, 0)
}
createTriMesh(240, 240, 30, 30, 2.5);

Please ignore the low code quality; that demo was made in less than 15 minutes without any planning... x.x
As a side note directly related to a change in mentality caused by PolyJS, I revised my website at https://legend-of-iphoenix.github.io/. What do you think?
*bump*

I just released v0.2.0!

This adds several new features, including the ability to change the edge thickness, get the coords of a point (some points may not explicitly say what their coords are), and the ability to use the string "self" when fixing points to other points on the same Polygon object.

You can get the revised build from here and the docs from here.

Smile
This awesome. It goes over my head but I can tell you've put work and thought into this. I'm looking forward to more rapid updates, improvements, and additions. Maybe one day I'll understand javascript enough to try it out!
Alex wrote:
This awesome. It goes over my head but I can tell you've put work and thought into this. I'm looking forward to more rapid updates, improvements, and additions. Maybe one day I'll understand javascript enough to try it out!

My example was a bit complicated.

Here's a much more simple example that I posted in SAX/IRC about a week or two ago. It draws two triangles and alters them after a short delay.

Code:
//create a <canvas> element and add it to the page.
var canvas = document.createElement("canvas");
document.body.appendChild(canvas);
//initialize a PolyJS object with the canvas
var pJS = new PolyJS(canvas);
//create a Polygon
var shape1 = new pJS.Polygon([
  [0, 0],
  [0, 100],
  [100, 0]
], "black", "green", true);
//create another Polygon
var shape2 = new pJS.Polygon([{
    attached: [pJS.polygons[0], 1] //attached to the first point in the first Polygon created.
  }, {
    attached: [pJS.polygons[0], 2]
  }, //attached to the 3rd point in the first Polygon created
  [100, 50]
], "black", "red", true);
pJS.draw();

//after a delay of 1/2 second, change two points in the first shape and redraw.
setTimeout(x => {
  var points = shape1.points;
  shape1.setPoint(1, [0, 20]);
  shape1.setPoint(2, [128, 32]);
  pJS.draw(true);
}, 500);

Edit; thanks for the feedback!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours