I finally tried out this game, and it's great! I like how you have corruption detection, and I love the customization that you can do for the ships. Here is the first ship I created:

The game does slow down when moving the ship, as in the checkpoints approach more slowly, but that's to be expected. Anyways, it wouldn't even be possible to play if they kept falling at regular speed!
Yay I'm thrilled you like it! I like the craft you made, it almost looks like a person with pointy shoes. Razz
Yeah the checkpoint slow down is a little bit more than I'd like, I'll try to optimize it so your craft can move from side to side faster so the checkpoints don't need to slow down as much.
I'll also work on making them fall faster as time goes on (I'll add a speed limit so they don't go too fast.)
I'll also work on a way to add more parts. Smile
Wow, you even have detection for if the game crashed! That's really cool! I'm gonna peek at your code really quick; I don't think I've ever seen any other TI-Basic program do that!

It told me to report the error: I had created a total of 2 ships, but when I went to select one from the list, the cursor was able to select a total of 7 lines on the screen, not just the 2. There were 5 empty lines below my created ships that the cursor could move to. When I pressed enter on one of the empty lines, it gave an Invalid Dim Error.

Also I'm looking forward to the more parts!

TheLastMillennial wrote:
I like the craft you made, it almost looks like a person with pointy shoes.)

You have a nice imagination, but that's supposed to be a rocket ship with boosters on the bottom...

EDIT 2: It's really bugging me that the ship sizes are 5 characters in width but the checkpoints always have 6 open spots between them...
Michael2_3B wrote:
Wow, you even have detection for if the game crashed! That's really cool! I'm gonna peek at your code really quick; I don't think I've ever seen any other TI-Basic program do that!

Hmm... Maybe I should take a look at that feature too... How'd you do it?
SM84CE wrote:
Michael2_3B wrote:

It's simpler than you might think- TheLastMillennial actually stores a seemingly arbitrary floating point number in a variable at the beginning, and then deletes the variable at the end of the program. If the program crashed or otherwise quit unusually, then that variable will not have been deleted. Thus when the program starts again it will detect the arbitrary value which means the program had crashed.
Michael2_3B wrote:
SM84CE wrote:
Michael2_3B wrote:

It's simpler than you might think- TheLastMillennial actually stores a seemingly arbitrary floating point number in a variable at the beginning, and then deletes the variable at the end of the program. If the program crashed or otherwise quit unusually, then that variable will not have been deleted. Thus when the program starts again it will detect the arbitrary value which means the program had crashed.

You nailed it! Very Happy
I've been banned from my laptop because I was 10 minutes late to a thing so I've snuck my calculator into my room and I've had lots of time to program. Razz
I've fixes the bug Michael reported
I've added more parts
I've added a 'skip to last page' button (and skip to first page button) for when you have lots of crafts.
I'm working on checkpoint speed and optimization as always. Smile
I'm almost done with another small update. This is just so I can add the POTY banner on the Archive page. But I've also added a few neat features.
  • I've fixes the bug Michael reported (most of the time it's fixed, sometimes it's weird)
  • I've added 7 more parts (I'd love to let you add your own parts eventually, would you guys like that?)
  • I've added a 'skip to last page' button (and skip to first page button) for when you have lots of crafts.
  • I've allowed scrolling through pages of crafts while it's still loading the names so you can quickly scroll to different pages.
  • I've slightly increased the load speed of craft names.

I wanted to work on the checkpoint thing, but that's going to take a lot more time than I anticipated. (Mostly due to my comments being lost) So I'm just going to release what I have here. It's a decent update with a few features so I think it'll work.

Here's a cruddy GIF of it.

the speed in the GIF is quite wonky.

EDIT: its been accepted!
I've been busy for the past 3 weeks, like more busy than I've been all summer. I haven't had any time to work on my big projects. It's kinda pathetic since 2 of those weeks were suppose to be vacations. Sad

Anyways, I recently saw a video of a simple program designed specifically so people could learn off of it. I think I may make a stripped down version of JPL and make the code super simple so people can learn from it.

The craft will be pre-defined so there's going to be
  • No custom crafts
  • No saving
  • No loading

Some things I will be including is
  • My game-crash detection
  • Monochrome or color calculator detection
  • The optimized craft boundary and movement

I'm deciding to make this since I've spent so much time on JPL I've basically memorized the base code for the game. Therefor it's not going to take as much time nor effort as my other projects. I don't think I'll release it as a separate program, I'll probably just end up including it in the main JPL download. If there's something you'd like me to include, please post below.

It wasn't demanded, but you're getting it anyways!
(A standard Cemetecian's motto)
0x5 so I didn't finish the thing I said I would in the previous post, but it turned out to be useful anyways, I've started porting the game to my HP Prime in Prime Programming Lanugage (PPL). PPL is soooooo much more powerful than TI BASIC, I had to add a big wait so it would run at a playable speed! It's an early version, but I've got the core done. I made a topic about it on HP museum!
maybe you could try to redesign the loop so that it limits how many times the "game-update-tick" or whatever code is run, and have user input code in the main loop so its smooth and takes more priority, and then on top of that add in the wait timer that bases itself on how much time has past since the last update. that way the "slow down" code doesnt run when more power is needed, but runs multiple times per iteration if the user is idle and not much needs to update.
LOL I can make the game detect the wrong calculator by changing the window to Error: Window Range bounds. XD Then again, who else would do that? But the method you used is probably the best way to tell the difference between the calculators when using that detection method.

Otherwise, creative concept!
Oooh, I like that idea Luxen, I'll get working on that soon! I just discovered the TICKS function.
I worked on this some more and I've got a scrolling background and a boost (OMS) working!
I got the TICKS function implemented, thanks for the suggestion Luxen! This emulator doesn't do it justice, the speed is wonky and it randomly moves the rocket to the left.

One thing I just found out is that the HP Connectivity software is incredible, it can detect when an HP Prime emulator is running and treat it as if it's a physical calculator! That means I can send/access files over to the emulator via the HP connectivity software! Man, I wish CEmu could do this with TI Connect. *poke* *poke* Razz

I forgot to add, I've got a Github repository for this project here.
It might be cool if the ship exploded if you lost, explosions are always the way to go.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours