As the title suggests, I'd like to know if there is a way in BASIC to detect if a program is being run on a TI 84 Plus CE or CSE.

Jonbush had a good idea of using execution time to tell, but I didn't know if there was an alternative solution.
My suggestion would be screed size but I don't know if there the same.
Why would you need to know there might be another solution to your problem.
Redston_1 wrote:
My suggestion would be screed size but I don't know if there the same.
Why would you need to know there might be another solution to your problem.

Sorry, I kind of had a hard time reading this. I think this is what you said.

Quote:
My suggestion would be to compare the screen size but I don't know if they're the same.

Yes, the CSE and CE have the same screen size and resolution. This trick only works when comparing if the program is being run on a monochrome calculator or a color screen.

Quote:
Why would you need to know if there is another solution to your problem?

Although comparing execution time is a good idea, I wouldn't think it'd be the fastest option nor the most ideal since the timing could be different depending on what you've done to your calculator (i.e. reduce wait states). Maybe there is some BASIC code routine I've forgotten about that would be better suited. Smile
TheLastMillennial wrote:
As the title suggests, I'd like to know if there is a way in BASIC to detect if a program is being run on a TI 84 Plus CE or CSE.

Jonbush had a good idea of using execution time to tell, but I didn't know if there was an alternative solution.

You could use textlib by DrDnar, then run this code in your program.

Code:

{20:Asm(prgmTEXTLIB
Ans

Ans will be 4 if on the CSE, or 5 if on the CE.
(However, you need different versions of textlib to run on the CSE versus the CE... so would end up being more confusing than helpful to the user when you upload your program, unless you would expect the user to already have textlib on their calculator)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours