I think everyone on this forum could learn or lesson or two from this useful document: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way. Enjoy!
I particular like this:
How to Ask Questions wrote:
It sometimes looks like we're reflexively rude to newbies and the ignorant. But this isn't really true.

What we are, unapologetically, is hostile to people who seem to be unwilling to think or to do their own homework before asking questions. People like that are time sinks — they take without giving back, and they waste time we could have spent on another question more interesting and another person more worthy of an answer. We call people like this “losers” (and for historical reasons we sometimes spell it “lusers”).
Me too. Good Idea Very Happy
It seemed to describe the BPC topic well to me, and the misunderstandings thereof.
Indeed.
hmm... i didnt read that, can someone sum it up for me?
</noob>

heh, so true... maybe that should be replacing the bible in some areas of the internet...
Haha, I definitely agree. Very Happy
KermMartian wrote:
It seemed to describe the BPC topic well to me, and the misunderstandings thereof.

I don't see the connection. BPC is jsust holding a contest and the only question they asked on these forums was why people we being hostile. They weren't asking any technical questions.
something1990 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

I don't see the connection. BPC is jsust holding a contest and the only question they asked on these forums was why people we being hostile. They weren't asking any technical questions.

I think it is still the anti-luser mentality...people dont react well to newbies overhyping something.

on the other hand, there is no reason not to be nice. they are hosting a contest...it actually would have been more interesting have just entered and let them see that we have more experience programming then them.
and if everyone had been nice, xlibman wouldn't be considering a permanent IP ban on kllrnohj and JPez at omnimaga
elfprince13 wrote:
and if everyone had been nice, xlibman wouldn't be considering a permanent IP ban on kllrnohj and JPez at omnimaga

yeah, except its impossible for him to IP ban me for two reasons:

1) i have dynamic IP

2) i never go to omnimaga anyway
he was talking preemptive strikes. he already banned JPez from logging in (and evidently by IP as well). he would have banned you, but he didn't know your IP.
elfprince13 wrote:
but he didn't know your IP.

thats cause i've never created an account there for him to lookup my IP from
lol....Im tellng you though...he was real pissed.
elfprince13 wrote:

meh, he'll get over it

and i looked back over what i said, and while it is a tad harsh and to-the-point, i don't think it was overly abusive, and i wouldn't hesitate in saying the same thing to someone else
Kllrnohj wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:

meh, he'll get over it

hopefully...although I gotta say, Kevin is a bit more sensitive on these sorts of things than necessary.

because of this:
ticalc.org wrote:
Kevin Ouellet
(Web Page)

the contest allowed xLIB usage? ffs I should have sumbitted my grayscale numbar guessing game....

------

Re: Re: Re: Re: United-TI BASIC Contest Ends
elfprince13
(Web Page)

sadly it did. a Basic programming contest should be pure Basic.

he was worried that he'd get flamed if he announced a project on my site.
Look, I've had more than my fair share of flames, plenty of people told me I was worthless, my programs all sucked, I had no skill, and I should just leave the community. Sure, I got angry and tried to defend myself, which to such 1337 came across as n00bish whining. I can see that by putting myself in their shoes. So I just didn't let it get to me, and now you see how things are today. Yeah, flames can be discouraging, but it's not the end of the world. If you're really devoted to something like calculator programming, you're going to follow through whether people support you or not, if for nothing else than to prove to them that you were right.
elfprince13 wrote:
he was worried that he'd get flamed if he announced a project on my site.

BPC didn't announce a project, they announced hype - big difference there
*BPC
They actually announced a contest, which is a bit of both.
KermMartian wrote:
*BPC
They actually announced a contest, which is a bit of both.

no, its still hype as it showcases other people's code and not their own
But it also hypes their group as a possible community membership item.

Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours