Sure! I have a lot planned for this next update, and I'll be pushing a bunch of minor changes throughout the week. Maybe this will be one of them, I'm not sure.

Edit: I literally added it 5 minutes after I made this post x.x
Long story short, huge security flaw caused by laziness on my part; TheButton is down until I fix it.
I've sort of given up on TheButton. It was a fun social experiment. You are welcome to create your own firebase thing and make a spin-off, though. It's not entirely related to the recent security flaw, it's just that I lose interest in projects if I spend too much time on them. It's what killed UniChat for me, too :/
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
I've sort of given up on TheButton. It was a fun social experiment. You are welcome to create your own firebase thing and make a spin-off, though. It's not entirely related to the recent security flaw, it's just that I lose interest in projects if I spend too much time on them. It's what killed UniChat for me, too :/

It was fun while it lasted, but at least now we can all move on with our lives. No longer will a colorful rainbow-flashing button demand to steal a bunch of my time every day Razz
If you're still interested, I'll set up my own database, and my fork will still be active.
https://jcgter777.github.io/TheButton/ for any interested.

Edit: I'm almost done with the setup, but there are still problems. (Getting help from Bsquid)
If you know firebase well (iPhoenix's help appreciated), please PM me.
jcgter777 wrote:
If you're still interested, I'll set up my own database, and my fork will still be active.
https://jcgter777.github.io/TheButton/ for any interested.

Edit: I'm almost done with the setup, but there are still problems. (Getting help from Bsquid)
If you know firebase well (iPhoenix's help appreciated), please PM me.

Did the security flaw get resolved in your implementation?
I don't think so. iPhoenix's js in the beta is still messed up trying to make it more secure. I got the rules from iPhoenix, so I think I can get it up again. If someone abuses the service, ban, end of story. (I don't know how to do stuff, so...)
I've fixed the button (for quite a while, actually). iPhoenix added a chat to the site, so you can now chat with others playing it. Have fun and enjoy!

If you have any suggestions, ideas, optimizations, post in this thread, or fork the repo and make a PR.

Goals: An option to hides/show the chat, move the chat to the left of the links below the leaderboard, and shorten the page to make it more compatible with computers with smaller screens. (or make it adapt)

If you find any bugs, report them to me or _iPhoenix_ via PM. Or IRC if we're online. Please don't try to hack it and abuse the site. Abuse=ban Smile
You can ping us on IRC via # T h e B u t t o n (no spaces) on EFnet. The IRC channel for this site also works Smile
There is now a toggle night mode button for toggling high contrast found in the top left corner. The chat has been made shorter, and it has been styled better. When you toggle the background color changing, it becomes a rainbow, switching between different shades of color. Hope you like it!

Credits:
_iPhoenix_ for iChat, firebase rules, help, and lots of stuff said before
tev (Travis) for helping me make the toggle night mode button, (he actually made it already, but using a link), and for making the rainbow for the button color.
iPhoenix are you hosting these from your PC?
Jcsq6 wrote:
iPhoenix are you hosting these from your PC?

Nope, I use GitHub pages to host my stuff, because I'm incredibly lazy.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours