The title says it all (yes it is pronounced "T I Media" as it started out as being a simple TI Calculator discussion chatroom).

However, it has turned into a Google™ replacement site (everything but a search engine).

Features:

Cloud Storage (no user uploads yet though, only docs, sheets, bookmarks)
Online Document and Spreadsheet editor, with formatting tools and autosaving.
Online Bookmark Storage
User to User chatting
A HTML5 and JS, Airdrop like feature for images, videos, audio and links

Everything sounds great right? Well, I am not recommending going there now as a MAJOR security glitch is being fixed right now!

URL will be posted soon (Still in BETA so it might not be very stable)

Founded by "Hymenopus" (me) and "Graphinghandheld"
Why should anybody trust you over any competing service? Small projects tend to have worse protections than those that are large enough to be concerned about maintaining user trust (or possibly complying with relevant regulations), unless also designed to provide those protections through technical rather than policy means.

It might be kind of fun to build something like this yourself, but I think you'll have a very hard time convincing anybody else to use it, especially when it's possible to substantially roll your own with very little effort.
Sure, this project is less than ideal, but it is a fun, large programming project anyways.

As a user and (minor) contributor myself, I think it is great, though it does rely on several Google services, like Firebase, to do most of the major work.

I think this is better as a project to build programming skills rather than entirely a "replacement".

In fact, this service should not be trusted for the time being, because all of the user data (minus passwords) is available publicly. Quoting my issue report:
Quote:
Your data is entirely available in an unencrypted form to admins and pretty much anyone, regardless of whether.

You should seriously check out firebase security rules. It is really, really important.

Your entire, publicly-available database, courtesy of Firebase.

This is at odds with your readme, which says
Quote:
Your data is safe!
Your documents are encrypted end to end, your data (like documents, tiles and more) is not visible to any admin or other user!

Edit: as always, I am trying to help you!
Tari wrote:
Why should anybody trust you over any competing service? Small projects tend to have worse protections than those that are large enough to be concerned about maintaining user trust (or possibly complying with relevant regulations), unless also designed to provide those protections through technical rather than policy means.

It might be kind of fun to build something like this yourself, but I think you'll have a very hard time convincing anybody else to use it, especially when it's possible to substantially roll your own with very little effort.

*cough* I tried OwnCloud and it doesn't work with an average linux PC.

Oh and we didn't always use firebase, we use to use our own weird db (no server no nothing) (that readme was from a while ago, when we used that slow alternative to firebase we made ourselves)
This is just lying now. GitHub says you added the line in your readme 5 months ago, and you added Firebase 7 months ago.
Whatever, I didn’t even know about this issue back then (thanks for supporting us though)
Having a lot of commits isn't good. It doesn't show dedication, skill, or importance. Raither, it shows quite the opposite.

The term "commit" is short for "commitment", and that's exactly what it should be. You are *commiting* to making that change. You aren't going to revert it immediately, because you have tested it already and know the outcome.

Did you know that your repository is 18-ish MB, with just the files. That's mostly because you have a bunch of images, but that's not the problem. The problem is the extra couple of megabytes of git information layered on top of this.

Minimizing your commits makes it easier for others to help. If there's less crap for me to dig through, I can help you with your project more. This goes along with giving each commit a short, descriptive name. If you look at the commit history of my UniChatDemo repo, you will see lots of "spam" commits. Over on my much more recent iChat repository, you will notice that I've tried to give each commit a name. This takes me an extra two seconds to do, and it could save someone else trying to figure out what your code is doing much more than that.

Keeping your code well-formatted and up to current specifications is also extremely important. Not only does it maximize readability, but it also saves you and others time later. Sure, Chrome might be nice and surround your lonesome <script> tag in the required <body> and <html> elements, but you should not rely on this.

Other users (namely PT_) have tried to gently (or forcefully) prod (shove) you towards (at) the right direction. But you have shown no sign of even seeing their concerns. They are trying to help you!

Edit; PT_ brought up a good point:
SAX wrote:
4:59:26 AM [#] [P_T] If you don't use Git to edit and commit the files, you shouldn't be using Github either Razz

You might want to look at GitHub Desktop (it's awesome, this is what I use myself) or the Git command-line tools. Both are free Smile
Most commits are made on guest comps with no ability to download Github Desktop or Git.
timedia wrote:
Most commits are made on guest comps with no ability to download Github Desktop or Git.

That's fine, I understand that. I pushed some cruddy commits today because I was on a public computer and couldn't do anything about it. I pushed them to a separate branch, so that I can PR with a squash-and-merge to compress it down into the single commit it would be normally.

This doesn't mean that you can't test commits locally or using something like JSfiddle, the latter of which it seems you have used many times. This cuts down on commit noise.

But there is no excuse for not naming your commits. This is a low-effort way to make your code easier for you and others to use. Seriously.

Out of the over 4,595 commits in your repo (at the time of this post), I can count the number of commits made by you that were named on my hands.

Also, when I checked the GitHub issue I made, I was greeted by this:

What is that about?

I try to help you, you respond with something entirely unrelated, then close the issue I made?

Every time I've tried to help you with your project, be it improving site size/load times with CDNs, trying to keep your site up to the JS and HTML specifications, or decreasing the commit spam in your repo, I've been met with lots of resistance, frustration, or even hostility.

You're on your own now. I'm not helping you anymore, I don't even care. I invested my time and energy into your project. Look at what I'm rewarded with: complete ignorance of my suggestions.
That comment was made by my friend, sorry for that. And I am NOT ignoring your suggestion about using gh-desktop, I will download when I get to my computer. I hope you come back to this project.
timedia wrote:

Github Desktop requires no administrator privileges as far as I know. You could probably still install on a guest computer, then toss the application into a flash drive for portable use (which if you do try to do this, the application is located in AppData/Local). I've never tried this, but it's worth looking into.

Once get that taken care of, you can Clone Repository (Ctrl-Shift-O) and push updates from there. I imagine most public computers won't block Github, but if that ever happens, you can clone/push/pull code with SSH (which is what I do).

As for locally testing, I use python and Node to test my code on localhost. Python has an http.server module that creates a local testing environment and Node has an http-server package to do the same (both of which come with their respective installations, I believe). The great thing about this is that you can test with and without internet.

Hope this somewhat helps!
It sure seems like TI-Media is gonna be a tough sell. I, personally, already have two issues with it:

- There are security holes.
Whenever you see a news source doing negative reporting on an online service, it's because of this. Lying about encryption is one of the most, if not the most damaging thing you can do to a brand. It endangers the user, plain and simple.

- The name is already taken.
TI-Media is a name used by like ten brands so far, according to my five-second Google research. You gotta be original here.

If you launch and start advertising with these issues you're gonna repel any serious users and possibly get sued for copyright fraud. I'm definitely gonna be a day-one registrant but this is concerning.
RandomGuyDTB wrote:
It sure seems like TI-Media is gonna be a tough sell. I, personally, already have two issues with it:

Whenever you see a news source doing negative reporting on an online service, it's because of this. Lying about encryption is one of the most, if not the most damaging thing you can do to a brand. It endangers the user, plain and simple.

TI-Media is a name used by like ten brands so far, according to my five-second Google research. You gotta be original here.

If you launch and start advertising with these issues you're gonna repel any serious users and possibly get sued for copyright fraud. I'm definitely gonna be a day-one registrant but this is concerning.

With a little bit of help, he fixed the majority of the encryption problems, but some other exploits may still linger.

I've personally found that the site takes a decent amount of time to load. I've brought this up before and suggested that they either find ways around using some of the massive JS libraries they are loading, trim them down, or use a much faster CDN to load the files. It would also help if they used something like Uglify JS to create smaller versions of their files (while still keeping clean copies for development, the compressed versions are for the site) or have different pages for each "application". All of these decrease the file size, and they have been rejected for various (in the case of CDN's, mildly ridiculous) reasons. One page sites and sites that redirect you when you visit are also hard for search engines to index, meaning that you probably will not get many visitors besides those viewing your posts.

I also want to reiterate here that I was not against TI-Media, and was actually trying to help the developers. They've been hostile towards my help, so they have lost it.
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
RandomGuyDTB wrote:

With a little bit of help, he fixed the majority of the encryption problems, but some other exploits may still linger.

I've personally found that the site takes a decent amount of time to load. I've brought this up before and suggested that they either find ways around using some of the massive JS libraries they are loading, trim them down, or use a much faster CDN to load the files. It would also help if they used something like Uglify JS to create smaller versions of their files (while still keeping clean copies for development, the compressed versions are for the site) or have different pages for each "application". All of these decrease the file size, and they have been rejected for various (in the case of CDN's, mildly ridiculous) reasons. One page sites and sites that redirect you when you visit are also hard for search engines to index, meaning that you probably will not get many visitors besides those viewing your posts.

I also want to reiterate here that I was not against TI-Media, and was actually trying to help the developers. They've been hostile towards my help, so they have lost it.

Please iPhoenix, come back. And RandomGuyDTB: Encryption was finished about a month or two ago. And the brand name, look at the top of the thread.
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
RandomGuyDTB wrote:

Okay, gotcha. Gonna go register tonight.
Thanks, remember, no swearing, no spamming, no creating many documents or spreadsheets or slideshows with content like "test" or any spam a.k.a, don't abuse your infinite cloud storage
timedia wrote:
Thanks, remember, no swearing, no spamming, no creating many documents or spreadsheets or slideshows with content like "test" or any spam a.k.a, don't abuse your infinite cloud storage

This has to be the dumbest comment I've ever seen.
He he, I know Mateo, just a reminder

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours