22%  [ 5 ]
FridgeFallCE (OldNewTimer)
 13%  [ 3 ]
StockSim (The REAL LAX18)
 4%  [ 1 ]
Holiday Vault (Unicorn)
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 22

Now that this Contest is finally over, it is now time to vote! To all who participated in this contest, thank you! This poll will be open until March 31. Please do not vote solely based on looks, and if you can, try them before you vote! Best of luck to all participating! (Optional: make a post explaining the pros/cons of each and explain your choice.)

The entries are as follows (Click images to enlarge. Press play to play video).:

Procrastinate! by _iPhoenix_ (thread)
In this game, you are given an essay to do over break. Bummer. You have to fight off boredom and gain points. There are three parts. A store, a Google Docs screen, and a Sublime text page. More information in the README.txt.

Diwali by SM84CE (thread)
This is a spin-off of the Lights-Out series of games, but currently has a 3x3 board, and no "win" detection. There is a small Easter Egg included to "light up" your day! Instructions are in-game in the Intro screen.

Present Catcher by john35588 (thread)
Move left and right to catch all the presents, but don't catch the coal! If you miss a present, or catch some coal, you lose a life. Occasionally, a heart will fall, catch this for another life.

Pi Day! by Michael2_3B (Source)(thread)
Learn the digits of pi in this fun game! I promise you, you won't want to stop playing until you know all of the digits of pi by heart.

FridgeFallCE by OldNewTimer (thread)
In this game, you are a fridge attempting to catch all of the pillows you can. If you lose more pillows than you gain, you melt. Try to get as many pillows stuffed inside of you as possible!

StockSim by The REAL LAX18 (thread)
With the built-in Stock Market Crash Simulator "CrashSim", You Can Feel What Its Like To Witness The Crash Of The Market

No code because of trouble loading code to computer.
Finalised Youtube Video Explanation
First Look Youtube Video Showing (for extra data)
SmileBASIC Public Key (in the event you have this for 3ds Smile ) : “KB432NV”

Holiday Vault by Unicorn (thread)(Source)
This website is a place where people can submit ideas for holidays. This makes it easier for people to find ideas and learn what other people are doing.
Fridge fall
I thought this was an OK fall-and-catch game. Although you can change your fridge (great feature!), the intro looks splendid, and I love the slow acceleration the fridge has (I assume because it's heavy) the gameplay is too simple. The pillows don't increase in speed nor is there really anything else to the game, also the brightness isn't reset to normal after quitting. Has a Cesium icon (+1) and I found no bugs (+1) [6/10]

Present catcher
Another fall-and-catch game I enjoyed this one a little more than fridge fall. Although the present speed doesn't seem to increase over time either EDIT: well that statement is still true but you can increase the speed by holding the down arrow key, and you can't change your character, the gameplay includes a lot more elements. Such as the coal and candy canes. All the sprites look very good, kudos to the person that made them! One thing I think would be a cool feature is if the background sprites were randomly placed. Has a Cesium icon (+1) and I found no bugs (+1) [8/10]

Diwali
I really liked the ReadMe.txt on this one! It was very thorough and included a link to fix any error people may encounter. As for the game, it was decent. I really like that whenever you light up a candle, the screen gets brighter! The save and load feature was nice. Unfortunately, the no-win detection kind of ruined the game for me. Sure, I knew I beat it, but a win screen is always welcome. Has a Cesium icon (+1) and I found no bugs (+1) [6/10]

Procrastinate
I thought this game was pretty good! (not only did the ReadMe.txt also tell people what to do if they encountered errors) The graphics were incredible for a game written in pure BASIC! The code is incredibly well optimized, so the speed is much better than expected! (+1)
The gameplay is simple, you just click enter a bunch of times, BUT it's fun because of the upgrades (and how true it is to real life)! I like how the score doesn't increase when you're doing just the essay, it only increases when you're doing programming 0x5.
The upgrade names are quite amusing but are very expensive! Some balancing may need to be done there. (I won’t count off for that though)
The only big issue I have with this program is the bugs, this contains a few bugs that make playing the game slightly annoying. At some point when I was nearing the end of the game, I encountered a Domain error, and when I tried to buy an upgrade (after I had bought the max amount) it got stuck in an infinite loop and I was forced to [on] quit. Therefore, I have not been able to fully complete the game (-1). This program also has no Cesium icon (-0). [9/10]
EDIT:
_iPhoenix_ (on SAX) wrote:
TheL: You clicked within the 300ms window where you could potentially get a domain error.

Pi day!
This was surprisingly fun! I already knew 11 digits, but this program helped me remember 5 more in the short time I played it! The graphics are simple, but they don't need to be fancy for this kind of program. I also encountered no bugs (+1). Unfortunately, there is one game breaking feature. There is no Cesium icon. (-9) (I'm kidding! I'm kidding!) [8/10]

Holiday Vault
I like the concept of where Unicorn was coming from, but it's pretty much a limited Pinterest. I like the UI, it's very clean and nice to look at, everything is well organized. The 'new idea' system is nice however it didn't explain how to add an image. You can’t upload one, so I assumed it required a link? You can view my idea here [9/10]

Stock sim
That program looked pretty in-depth. There was obviously a lot of work put into the program. I don't really do much with stock, so I didn't understand all of it, but I won’t count off for that. I liked what I was in the video, but I just wish I could've tried the program out for myself. I can’t give this a 10/10 though without trying it out for myself so I'll give it an [8/10]

Conclusion:
I wasn't expecting to have some of these programs be so close in score! My final decision is... Procrastinate by _iPhoenix_! I would have gotten this post done earlier but I put it off so I could play his game. Razz
here is a better image of mine
you can speed up the speed of the falling presents by holding the down arrow key, that's why the presents fall faster at times in the GIF.
Also, a recent update added candy canes (not shown in GIF), that when caught, give 10 points.
Fridge fall

A very clever game. I enjoyed playing it, and I can't get enough of the graphics style you are using. It's like in this weird zone of low-res but high-quality. [9/10].

Present Catcher

What is it with ICE and things falling from the sky! We can do this with pure BASIC, too! I liked the large amount of craziness falling out of the sky. I think you could add multiple colors of presents, and there is a little bit of weirdness when standing in front of a snowman or tree. [7/10]

My second CC21 entry Pi Day

This. Was. Awesome. I really liked the idea, and I found this game really fun to play, and I even managed to learn 0 digits from it Razz [8/10] (I could actually learn some more if I wanted, though.)
The only problem I have with it is the fact that you can easily break the game. My computer thinks I recited 2000 digits of pi in less than 5 seconds Razz

Diwali

Despite my initial suspicions that this was going to be another dull "lights out" clone, I found this very interesting and fun to play. I loved the rocket animation, it was really clever and it was one of the small details that made it count.[8/10]

Stock Sim

I'm really sad that you were unable to get the code off successfully. I think you had a really great idea. :/ [8/10]

Holiday Vault

I liked this idea. It's really cool, and it makes me realize how serious my need for styling help is Razz You took this idea, and made it work really well. [8/10]

Procrastinate

I really enjoyed making this entry, and I can see my programming skills increase just by looking at the code chronologically. (i.e. I wrote this part first, so it's crap, etc)

I can't give this one an honest rating, because I created it. I am extremely proud of how my program turned out, and hope you all like it!

Fun fact: my program started out with me joking around about creating a program celebrating the sacred holiday known as "days off from school", but that idea quickly disintegrated into what you see now.

Conclusion

I really enjoyed all playing all of the programs. I loved ONT's graphics (and I want to see more games from him in that style), Diwali had some sweet animations, I put loads of time into Procrastinate and liked the way it turned out, Holiday Vault gave me a CSS schooling, Stock Sim was really, really clever, Present Catcher had more great graphics and some clever gameplay, and Pi Day was actually useful if you needed to get within a millionth of a proton while calculating the circumference of our galaxy. In the end, I chose my program because I honestly thought it was the best. I spent nearly 90 minutes each [school-]day working on it (works out to 1 day and 6 hours, doing the multiplication), and I think the work shows.

My second place choice would be Fridge Fall, because it was a really clever game. I never thought or heard of the holiday it was based on and I loved the graphics.
Procrastinate
I liked this entry overall. I was amazed how fast this basic program ran on-calc. It's nice to know that even though we have more advanced languages, Iphoenix is going back to the BASICs Razz and still making amazing and unique programs . I only encountered a few bugs, but it was nice overall. [8.5/10]

Diwali
Although the interface was a bit plain, it did the trick. It was ingenious that SM84CE used ICE's new brightness function to show how many lights were lit, I would've never thought of that! The only thing that bothered me was that the board you played the game on wasn't centered in the screen. It may have just been my calc, but I had to clear the save the first time because the game would crash if I tried to play. I enjoyed the challenge this game presented. [9/10]

Present Catcher
I never actually realized how similar our games were until I saw this post! I guess the fall-and-catch game is in style Very Happy . The game was enjoyable and the sprites were very nice. The only distracting thing was the sprite flicker between the trees and Santa. [8.5/10]

Pi Day!
It's nice to see a program that's not on-calc to mix it up a bit. I played it for a bit and it significantly improved my knowledge of Pi. I think I got up to about 20. I didn't see any issues with the game. [9/10]

Fridgefall
This game was meant to be much more than it is currently, but it happens Smile . I can't say much more since I made the game. [Taco/Cat]

StockSim
I never knew you could program basic on a 3ds! Unfortunately, I only have a DSI, so I had to go off of the video. Although I don't understand stocks much, I did like the graphics. They reminded me of the old 80s PC era. Port to the CE? Razz [9/10]

Holiday Vault
The concept of this site is cool; it's sort of like a constant feed of the little recipe videos I see on Facebook and Instagram. I hope it gets more content in the future so that is can become more advanced. The layout was modern, as was the general design. The sign-in feature was also useful. Good work! [8.5/10]

Conclusion
I loved all of these entries, and hope we get this many participants or more for the next contest. There were a lot of cool features that stood out to me in the games, especially SM84CE's brightness function. Unfortunately, I still can't make up my mind. (More updates to come/edits to my review)

EDIT:
And the decision is...

Diwali!

After considering my options, I decided upon Diwali because of a couple reasons. The game was the most unique to me compared to all the other entries, and was a game you could spend a lot of time on. As I've previously stated, I loved the brightness feature and hope that future programs utilize this. Good work SM84CE!

Congratulations to everyone! You all did awesome!
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
Stock Sim
I'm really sad that you were unable to get the code off successfully. I think you had a really great idea. :/ [8/10]

OldNewTimer wrote:
StockSim
I never knew you could program basic on a 3ds! Unfortunately, I only have a DSI, so I had to go off of the video. Although I don't understand stocks much, I did like the graphics. They reminded me of the old 80s PC era. Port to the CE? Razz [9/10]

I'm thinking about porting this to C and also, there used to be a program called Petit Computer that allowed you to code on your DSI.

The reason I programmed this on 3DS, to begin with, is because BASIC did not have the stuff I needed (like string arrays). C allows somewhat of a string array so I might port it to that and then use the SDK.
The REAL LAX18 wrote:
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
Stock Sim

OldNewTimer wrote:
StockSim

I'm thinking about porting this to C and also, there used to be a program called Petit Computer that allowed you to code on your DSI.

The reason I programmed this on 3DS, to begin with, is because BASIC did not have the stuff I needed (like string arrays). C allows somewhat of a string array so I might port it to that and then use the SDK.

You could always port it to a computer language, too. No need to limit yourself Smile
Procrastinate
I'm going to be honest, I didn't understand this program AT ALL at first. I even tried it, and looked at the readme, and still had no idea what was going on. However I tried it again today and have suddenly realized what all the hype is about Razz The rendering is very slow due to ti-basic, but the game itself is actually quite enjoyable. I only played for about 2-3 minutes, but I had fun coding a lot, writing only a little bit of the paper, and resetting my boredom meter a few times. It seems pretty realistic Razz The only con I really see in this program is the rendering speed, but I'll ignore that due to the limits of the language.
EDIT: actually there is 1 bug I found, your program doesn't set the calculators floating-point value, so when it goes to display "1k" or "2k" or whatever it will cause some graphical overlapping if the floating point is too high.

Diwali
This was fun and all, I liked the graphics, and I was able to win, however the lack of a win detection ruined it for me. Other than that, was a great game and I encountered no bugs.

Present Catcher
I've seen many awesome avalanche-themed games before, and this was no exception. I liked the graphics, and I loved the game. I was holding the down arrow key for the majority of the time I was playing as well Razz It didn't seem to get harder though (for the short time I was playing it) and I got fairly bored fairly quickly. Perhaps you could make it more difficult, with progression? Encountered no bugs.

Pi Day!
I really enjoyed making this game. While I did have some issues along the way (i.e. _iPhoenix_ helping me with some code, and me having to readjust it sometimes) it was still very fun. My personal high score (as of March 24th) is 61 digits, which I know all by heart. In the coming few days, I'm hoping to add a few more features and easter eggs if I can. I might also add some 'lifelines', hints, and/or boosters.

There's still time to vote for my program, so please do! Smile

FridgeFall CE
This was a lot of fun. I really like the graphics that ICE easily enables. I also really liked the short intro you so kindly put in. The gameplay was fun, and I ended up quitting after so many points because I was getting bored. I did encounter a bug, where if I was on the left edge of the screen the pillow fell right past me. Other than that, it was actually a really great game!

StockSim
Looks cool! I don't have much else to say than that...

Holiday Vault
This was cool! I liked the concept and I liked the catalog of ideas that it could show. However it's not much of a match for everything else considering all the other submissions are games Razz Great website though, and no bugs!
I explained my program multiple times to you. Maybe you are just trying to prevent my entry from getting more votes...

Anywho, good luck to all contestants! I wish you all the best of luck.
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
I explained my program multiple times to you. Maybe you are just trying to prevent my entry from getting more votes...

It doesn’t matter how many times people explain something to me... usually I have to figure things out for myself lo l.

And no, I actually really liked your entry once I figured it out. It’s definitely going to win!
Now for me Razz.

Procrastinate
I loved the idea, and the different parts to it, but it was in Basic, so, it was slow. (-1) There were a lot of bugs (I'll post in the thread), such as random Domain errors, clock freeze going berserk and other small things. (-1) The slow part comes in again when I type more than one page, and it loads so slowly. (-.5) No Cesium icon Razz (-.25) Freezes during waits. (-0 because it's Cesium's fault). Overall, it was a great idea, but the bugs were a killer. [7.25/10]

Diwali
I loved the loading things, and the menu selection. The only thing that killed it, like what others said, was the lack of win detection, and other levels. (-3) Everything else was good, the quality, sprites, etc. [7/10]

Present Catcher
I liked this quite a lot. After a while, though it got kin of boring, but it was okay. There were weird glitches at the bottom. (-1) Sometimes, something would appear half in the right side, and half in the left, and I was unable to catch it. (-1) It was really annoying when there was either a heart or a candy cane, and you could only catch one thing if you didn't want to die. (-1) There was a cool Cesium icon (+1). The placements of the background sprites and the lack of variety (I wanted more Razz). (-1) Overall, it was a good program. [7/10]

Pi Day!
This was one of my favorites. The color was awesome, and I actually learned a few more digits of pi! One thing though, After you start the game, no bar appears. The buttons shift AFTER you press the first digit. (-.5 annoyance) I would probably want a leaderboard/scoreboard or at least something that told me my score, and maybe a list that shows how many digits you know SOLIDLY. [9.5/10]

FridgeFalCE
The graphics were awesome! I loved the acceleration of the fridge, (although I found a way to make it always fast). (+.5). The collision detection of whatever is kinda off. It OOF!s a lot, even if I'm right under. (-2) I'd want lives so it can't run like 200 cycles after I decide to stop playing, and maybe a highscore keeping thing. (-.5) Everything else was nice. [8/10]

StockSim
It looked really cool! I wish I could try it, but I can't :/. It looked really cool, so I'd give it a 10/10, but who knows what bugs there could have been? Razz I'll give this an [8/10].

Holiday Vault
I loved the clean looking website. It was very nice, but to me, I didn't really know what to do with it. Making ideas is not really my thing Razz. (-1 personally) The loading of the website stuff was also, slow, but I know that's because of the free domain and whatever. The great thing? NO BUGS!!! (At least that I know of Razz) [9/10]

Conclusion
All of these submissions were really nice. For me, my vote goes to... Pi Day! by Michael2_3B! I liked all of them, but I had to make a choice.
OldNewTimer wrote:

Diwali
Although the interface was a bit plain, it did the trick. It was ingenious that SM84CE used ICE's new brightness function to show how many lights were lit, I would've never thought of that! The only thing that bothered me was that the board you played the game on wasn't centered in the screen. It may have just been my calc, but I had to clear the save the first time because the game would crash if I tried to play. I enjoyed the challenge this game presented. [9/10]

Kinda old thread here... (where else could I put it?)

The crash was my lack of ICE know-how at that time, PT_ just told me that I needed to Alloc() stuff to DATA before writing to it. I've fixed that, and will release a new version (with some improvements that were suggested) over my summer break

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours