You should label the leaderboard "Leaderboard" Smile

And the changing time thing still isn't patched...
Would it be practical to have a person's leaderboard entry update in real time while their timer is ticking up? That would be more intuitive (and fun to watch Wink).

Also it would be kind of cool to have a way to see everyone's score and position, even if it isn't in the top five.
Travis wrote:
Would it be practical to have a person's leaderboard entry update in real time while their timer is ticking up? That would be more intuitive (and fun to watch Wink).

Also it would be kind of cool to have a way to see everyone's score and position, even if it isn't in the top five.

I will probably make it so that you can see your own position. It's too intensive to see everyone's.

For security, I'm not adding the first suggestion. If I can come up with a way to do it securely, I most definitely will implement it.
Hey iPhoenix, great game. As of this writing, jcgter777 seems to be abusing a bug of some sort. He said in the SAX chat that it is a bug in fire base. I am not blaming him for going up 2 days in 1 hour, I am just reporting the bug. This may be late if he reports it too. Thanks. --JustSomeDude

Really fast edit 1: Now it is giving me a lot of time, about 2 minutes every second. I think the leader boards are going to need to be reset...

Edit 2: I have more info. My sister has TheButton open on her computer, with the user name ItsJustSomeGirl. When I am on the hill, and she pushes the button, it does not push me off, and adds about +-30 seconds to my time on the leader board. Now she is spamming it for fun
ItsJustSomeDude is not lying. I already reported it to iPhoenix, though. I'm not abusing anything. It's a bug with firebase, and it happened to tev before, but not as fast. I went up like an hour a second, but the speed varies. When I click, the first second is delayed, and the bug starts. Now I don't even remember my original score. (The clock counted up normally, though).

EDIT: I'm at 2 days, IJSD's at 1 day. Now, it's only incrementing 1 minute every 2 seconds for me, but no one else is clicking. (Bad auto refresh, I guess)

EDIT: I may not be right, but I think IJSD is using an auto clicker.
jcgter777 wrote:

I was just clicking really fast to see if anyone else's time was going up. It did not appear to be.
ItsJustSomeDude wrote:
jcgter777 wrote:

I was just clicking really fast to see if anyone else's time was going up. It did not appear to be.

Uhhh, iPhoenix, just check the clicking intervals.
IJSD: Also, your sister got removed.
EDIT: iPhoenix: Just to be sure, check SM84CE and 123outerme's click history. (and mine if you want Razz) I don't think they are, but it was very instantaneous, (after my click, wham!). Probably just don't mind me.
Now, all the bugs are gone (at least for now).
The bugs are still there. Maybe you'll just have reset it Sad.

EDIT: Don't reset it, justs subtract! Smile
Double post because of major styling update!
Check it out!

With help from _iPhoenix_, tev, and some websites, that came out. Enjoy!
Great news! jcgter777 and I made even more styling improvements!

I also made the whole site cleaner, code-wise, and cleaned up the Github issues and pull requests I had accumulated.
Am I Banned? Or is the site down for everyone? When I try to login with Google, it says that my account has been disable by an Admin. I know that I accumulated a lot of time on the leader board during the "Time Warp" bug, but that was not my fault.
IIRC, you have been banned by iPhoenix. You can ask him why.

EDIT: Update! There is now a place where it tells you what your own current time is. The "Click me." text on the button goes "rainbow mode" when you're in control of the button.

Do you guys have any ideas for styling? Any ideas are welcome. Things we already have that are not yet live are a title, a GitHub repo link, and the whole thing moved down a little.

EDIT: Any ideas are welcome. (What was I thinking when I just said styling? Razz)
I've got to say, I love the button raising animation and especially the rainbow text whenever you've got a hold of the button; it makes the game so much more addicting Razz
You're totaly cheating _iPheonix_, there's no way you've been constantly (accurately) clicking the button for 3 hours straight!

Two can play at this game... Evil or Very Mad

Just give me a few hours and I'll make a comeback.

You're ruining your own game, this isn't any fun. Sad
I think this does demonstrate a flaw in the current rules of the game: if one or more people are persistently spamming the button nonstop, legitimately or not, everything grinds to a stalemate (at best) and the game isn't fun at all.

It might be time to consider some modifications to the basic concept of the game. One idea: each player could have a limit of X clicks per X time interval to use. Once those are gone, they can't click anymore until the next interval, and unused clicks do not carry over (i.e., you can't just wait a long time and hoard extra clicks until a later date—it's use them or lose them). That would force everyone to slow down and decide more carefully how to spend their clicks. This rule would render click spamming and auto-clicking bots useless, and strategy and planning would play a greater role.
TheLastMillennial wrote:
You're ruining your own game, this isn't any fun. Sad

^ this. You simply can't be always awake when I am, and whenever I click, you click within a second too. Last time I will use your game, I guess.
Unless iPhoenix stayed up all night, how could he have gotten 10 more hours, and then in the morning, click again right after me? I don't know. I will probably still play, but it won't be that fun. I think it should be the type of game that you check back once in a while, click, and then go back to whatever you're doing.
I'm sorry for constantly clicking the button last night, but I assure you that I was not autoclicking. I promise that I will not click the button for the rest of today or tomorrow (this will probably help my grades, too!).

If you guys want, I can completely reset the leaderboard. I planned on doing my monthly reset on the 20th of March (less than a week) anyways.

I actually quite like tev's idea for a limited number of clicks. I'm proposing 240 per day, which works out to 10 clicks per hour, or once every 6 minutes. I'm open to other suggestions, though.
Yeah, I think you got a little too carried away that time. Wink It's not even so much that no one can pass you, but the rest of us weren't even able to compete against each other while it was going on. The game as a whole is essentially unplayable when this happens.

10–15 clicks per hour would also be roughly what I would try the first time. If the time interval is a full day, I'm tempted to propose that maybe the allotment might be just a bit lower to take into account sleep periods—but we'd likely have to experiment with it a bit anyway. The first step would be to just try out some value, and then it could adjusted as needed according to community feedback.

Right now we're basically going through the same process by which good games are designed: trial and error. Smile

Edit: Forgot to mention that FWIW, I personally find it most fun when the times are close and everyone is able to leapfrog each other fairly often. Smile
Looking at the statistics, it appears that the current average of clicks per username per hour is 30, but removing the extreme upper (autoclickers) and lower (accidental clicks) outliers bumps that up to 60.

I think that limiting clicks is a good way to increase the amount of "leapfrogging".

Anywho, I reset the database. Enjoy climbing to the top!
Along with your next update, could you add something that says "Leader board last rest: <date>"? And when you get everything automated could you add something that says "Next leader board reset on <date>"?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours