I've just begun to program/tinker with my TI 84+ CE and I keep coming up with this question about its memory–

Flash memory – it has 4 MB, 3 MB is unused.
RAM – it has 256 kB, 154 kB is unused.

I could be wrong, but I understand RAM is used to put programs and other stuff you access frequently. But what would I ever put in flash memory? Does anybody actually save anything to flash? Is there any need for that extra 3 MB?

Thanks for the help
Flash memory is extremely helpful for storing and protecting programs, appvars, etc. If you only store information into RAM the if your calculator crashes, boom you just lost all your data. Archive memory also stores more information than RAM. Also you need RAM to run programs and operations so if you store everything in the RAM things my not work. Smile

I personally store everything in the Archive memory and only unarchive things when necessary. This makes sure that when my calculator crashes, I don't lose much.
You can run any program from Archive or RAM with OS 5.3, and if you're worried about backups, you can use Cesium, and check out a video on youtube by TheLastMillennial for more information! Wink

I have the video link somewhere, but I'm too lazy to look for it. If you need it, ask me!
That makes sense. It just seems like a lot of storage space to me, but thanks for the help!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours