KermMartian,

adriweb lives in France, and if France provides the Prime to their students as adriweb suggests, and adriweb comes back to let us know that schools start in late September, then a good part of the mystery is solved Smile

For schools here in the States, it is a bit awkward with the roll-out of the Prime occurring late September when they are needed late August.
Yeah, they missed the US BTS, for some reasons...

They are supposed not to miss it for France (where school starts early september), but still, nothing is in stores for now and people may start to buy things quite soon...
Then what we may be seeing is the Prime is either still in beta, which the actual release date is anyone's guess; or has exited beta, and final packaging is frantically being completed even as we currently wonder what is going on.
Well, the Prime is almost here ... there are a number of people in the world at the moment staying up real late playing with their Prime and laughing at the rest of us who have to wait a few more weeks Sad
DavidEngle wrote:
Well, the Prime is almost here ... there are a number of people in the wold at the moment staying up real late playing with their Prime and laughing at the rest of us who have to wait a few more weeks Sad
"In the wold" isn't part of my usual vernacular; are you implying that our European counterparts are lording their advantage over us? If so, I'd be inclined to agree with you.
The Europeans have a talent for recognizing fine machines, especially fine calculators, and especially those fine calculators that possess a fantastic display and use RPN to compute with.
DavidEngle wrote:
The Europeans have a talent for recognizing fine machines, especially fine calculators, and especially those fine calculators that possess a fantastic display and use RPN to compute with.
Alternatively, you could argue that without the pressure of standardized tests driving parents to go for the TI calculators, European buyers can put more thought into whether competing calculators are right for them. I'm honestly not sure whence the difference in calculator brand popularity between the States and the rest of the world.
Funny you ask that ... Maybe Asians with their math(s) superiority don't use calculators.

Years ago (Apple II+ era), I worked for a brief time (between oil-field jobs) in a computer store. An Asian lady came into buy a computer, which the order took maybe 20-30 different additions on the register plus sales tax. When she came in, she only had a vague idea as to what she would be leaving with, we discussed several options, so there was no way she knew the total price before we went up to the register to finalize the total price. Stunningly, she announced the total to me before I had finished and had computed the sales tax to the exact penny.

Now, you tell me how she accomplished this because I never could understand her mechanism!
willwac wrote:
Umm... Did my post get deleted?

Anyways, I think that having the enter key where it is isn't a good placement. Kerm, I think that you are right, I've used TI's calculators, and I've never used an HP, or CASIO.

Also, when I read what you wrote, Kerm, I took it offensively at first. Neutral .

I do not like the Prime as it is not my coup of tea (prefer 50g for RPL and other machines for RPN), but I think the Prime has a great key layout, and especially the Enter key in the perfect space for righthand persons. It is also very closely related to the position Enter has on most computer keyboards (not a coincidence I guess).

What I do not like with my 50g keyboard layout (and this goes for most TI) is that the Enter key is very small (no double key) and also placed in the lower right position. This makes the operands be off center to the num pad keys. Especially the / key is pushed way up in the wrong position far away from the numeric keys.

The Casios is at least saved by that all operand keys are close to the numpad keys for the fingers. It however still fails with too small Enter key.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 6 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours