I'm going to create a "days-off-from-school" Simulator, because days off from school are usually on or around holidays.

I plan on having a Google Docs-esque screen, where you cask write out the essays you inevitably were assigned right before the break started. Your "work" meter goes up, but so does your "boredom" meter.

You can also switch over to a sublime text-esque screen, or a Cemetech SAX-esque screen, where your work meter doesn't move, but your boredom meter goes down and you get "coolness points".

I plan on doing this in pure BASIC, with no picture variables. I like pushing limits, as you probably know.
Sounds cool! Good luck! Smile
I got about 2 hours to work on my project, and I probably will have that much time until it is due.

I completed a good portion of the docs graphics. I try and remember to post a screenshot when I get home. (In 30-ish minutes)

I think I'll leave it partially completed for now and begin working on the Sublime Text screen.

Edit:
Here's what I have so far. The stuff on the left are the two bars, work and boredom, respectively.

The program is about 600 bytes, but that's without me optimizing it at all. (besides the standard stuff, like closing parenthesis and all that.)

There are several things that can be decreased in size, and this part itself might be able to be taken down to 500 bytes.

Again, the goal is to not use any picture variables. (because that's cheating Razz)
That's really good so far! (it's not cheating to use pic vars, but it is more challenging to do it without them! That's good!)
I made a github repo for the project, so you can test it yourself! Link here!

Edit: if you have any optimizations, you are free to create a pull request, or to post here.

I welcome all help!

Edit^2: I thought I'd post this too:

As you can tell, I need to make some changes. It's not 100% faithful, partially because I did this entirely from memory.
It still looks really cool! Good job!

EDIT: I made a pull request on GitHub. Also, I like your idea of having the source as a text! Smile
jcgter777 wrote:
It still looks really cool! Good job!

EDIT: I made a pull request on GitHub. Also, I like your idea of having the source as a text! Smile

First of all, you are leading this contest which means you are not allowed to help anyone participating. Secondly, is it even allowed to help others and optimise code? That's some forms of collaboration and I guess that's forbidden in a contest?
I am rejecting the pull request on the grounds that you created the challenge and aren't allowed to participate in any way, as stated by PT_ Razz
Good point. Sorry Razz
I got some work done. I'll let the screenshots speak for themselves.

The latter one shows "typing" of the essay.

You can view the sublime text editor by switching tabs with the right arrow. If you are in the sublime text editor, you can switch tabs left again with the left arrow.
Good job so far! I assume the ST editor will also allow typing? (And does the user type the stuff?)
jcgter777 wrote:
Good job so far! I assume the ST editor will also allow typing? (And does the user type the stuff?)

Yeah, it will eventually be editable. It's not going to be *real* typing, though. (I forgot to mention that you can type with [enter])

I'm "randomly" generating the text as you type, only storing the number of keypresses. I am seeding the rand command, so that the same output gets outputted each time.

Edit: I think I'll work on the SAX widget tomorrow, if I have time. I'm going to be busy for the next few days, so I won't be able to spend as much time as I have previously.

Edit^2:
I have a large math test today and tomorrow, so I might not be able to spend as much time as I want to today.

I should have enough time to implement the SAX UI.

In case you can't tell, I'm a bit hesitant to add the Sublime Text editing. I want it to have "syntax" highlighting and indentation, but I think I know how I will do it.
Guess what? I didn't implement SAX (well, I tried, but it's a bit harder than I thought), but I did implement typing for the sublime text editor.

It's pretty nifty, but I don't want to showcase it just yet because it is not completely done.

But, it has "indentation", "scrolling", "line numbers", and "syntax highlighting". And, it looks really cool.

Edit:

I'll work on the syntax highlighting more today.

I'm not fully satisfied with the syntax highlighting. I am going to weight certain colors so they are more common. I think I am going to use a quite cool system, which I will describe in more detail later today. I spent a bit of time yesterday planning the rest of the game. I hadn't really thought out some any of it too much.
Here's some Eye Candy.

I'm not entirely satisfied with it, so I'm not going to release the code *just yet*.

shakey phone-gifs ftw

Edit: Notice how I changed the spacing of the lines Smile

Edit^2: It appears I didn't showcase what happens if you type more than what is available on-screen. If you do, it automagically clears the screen (Including line numbers!) and redraws the screen (Resizing the line numbers if necessary, such that the size of the first number is one third of the size of the one hundredth number, because 1 has 1 digit while 100 has three)
Later today (in about 30 minutes as I am posting this, which is when I'll get home be home) I will be uploading the file and source for the updated project.

I increased the size of the program by only (about) 200 bytes, while adding some cool functionality.

I'm really excited to hear your feedback on the program.
_iPhoenix_ wrote:

I don't exactly understand what your program does or how exactly it's supposed to be a game, but you're doing great nonetheless! Keep it up!
Michael2_3B wrote:
_iPhoenix_ wrote:

I don't exactly understand what your program does or how exactly it's supposed to be a game, but you're doing great nonetheless! Keep it up!

It would help if I actually finished the program Smile

Basically, it will be a program where you have to complete homework (writing an essay) over a holiday. (I think I've settled arbitrarily on Veteran's Day, but I'm not fully sure. Suggestions welcome.) Doing so, you get extremely bored, to the point where you can't write your essay anymore.

Being a programmer and a Cemetechian, you turn to either SAX or a programming-oriented text editor (like sublime text) to provide you entertainment.
Michael2_3B wrote:
_iPhoenix_ wrote:

It doesn't have to be a game Wink It can be anything!

Great job, iPhoenix! Keep it up!

You might want to center all 3 (sublime, sax, and google docs?) around one holiday. (More relationship) Otherwise, it's doing great!!!
I've been procrastinating against doing the SAX screen, so I'll be creating the intro screen today.

I'm really excited!
Google docs just got a redesigned logo, did you see it

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours