Do you think that the program described above would make multiplayer and regular games easier to design (in terms of data str or age and data encoding)
Yes
 57%  [ 4 ]
No
 42%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 7

So I thought of Making a program that could be constantly used by all to translate string data, matrix data, to a list, making it more capable and more space efficient because one can invent as many lists as one needs. I have used already used this theory for my messaging program, with both ends being able to encode, and decode str 1 into a list, send it, and have the other end decode the list into str 1 (except my program was a bit primitive so it displayed letter by letter because the whole str 1 couldn’t fit on the screen and I’m not patient).
So the program will have a hard coded “list” of conditions that will translate either str 1 or a matrix into a list, based on a program set flag that the latter program will check for to decide whether it is switching a str or a matrix into a list, It will then have a ready set of numbers for any given variable or symbol in str 1, or it will simply switch a matrix with many rows into a list with 1 row. (I have archieved this in my TIbasic “maze” game. [coming soon])
Then the program will take the list back into the parent program and will transmit it based on the developer’s logic (that’s not on my end of the programming) the other user will recieve the list and will decode it using a similar logic, (by running the decoding program), herby making the task of sending multiplayer data and decoding it much simpler and easier for developers with Good Idea ideas for which they simply may not have the patience Mad .

I want to hear what you have to say for my ongoing Idea I have made a poll...

You can find some of my work on my portfolio/ my forums here
Strings can store as much data as memory can hold.

Lists can only store 999 elements.
I personally prefer strings, as they are much better, and lists should almost always be used instead of matrices where possible, because they are smaller and faster.
_iPhoenix_ wrote:

I personally prefer strings, as they are much better, and lists should almost always be used instead of matrices where possible, because they are smaller and faster.

That is correct, but imagine a situation where you would need more than 999 elements...
coolcrab123 wrote:
_iPhoenix_ wrote:

That is correct, but imagine a situation where you would need more than 999 elements...

Then, you would use a string. Strings can store as much data as memory can hold, which is usually much more that 999 characters.
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
coolcrab123 wrote:
_iPhoenix_ wrote:

Then, you would use a string. Strings can store as much data as memory can hold, which is usually much more that 999 characters.

I can always create a logic where the data can be compacted into as many lists as needed by checking for length, creating a “length(str#)/999–>A” and then doing recursive calculating of the str into multiple lists sending each file by counting down the variable (# of files) to see how many more times to send. (U can make things like battleship with this)
coolcrab123 wrote:
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
coolcrab123 wrote:
_iPhoenix_ wrote:

I can always create a logic where the data can be compacted into as many lists as needed by checking for length, creating a “length(str#)/999–>A” and then doing recursive calculating of the str into multiple lists sending each file by counting down the variable (# of files) to see how many more times to send. (U can make things like battleship with this)

I'm trying to hint at the fact that you could be converting everything into a SINGLE string that needs to be sent over, instead of multiple lists.
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
coolcrab123 wrote:
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
coolcrab123 wrote:
_iPhoenix_ wrote:

I'm trying to hint at the fact that you could be converting everything into a SINGLE string that needs to be sent over, instead of multiple lists.

I see that, but, the problem is that a string is less manipulative than a list
coolcrab123 wrote:
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
coolcrab123 wrote:
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
coolcrab123 wrote:
_iPhoenix_ wrote:

I see that, but, the problem is that a string is less manipulative than a list

What do you mean less manipulative? Sure, with the lists you are directly dealing with whatever numbers you need, however, converting characters from a string into a number only takes a single line of code. Strings can easily be manipulated.
Quote:
Sure, with the lists you are directly dealing with whatever numbers you need, however, converting characters from a string into a number only takes a single line of code. Strings can easily be manipulated.

What I’m saying is that using a string is very impractical when making games of any kind, that’s why I’m saying that a universal method for putting data into compact lists is more efficient, since decoding a multi-character list is more complex and time consuming than it would be to simply encode the data for lets say a maze (in the form of a matrix or string) into a list that a program can easily call.

I will see what i can do to make it as open minded to transferring to any data type From any data type to make everyone as happy as possible!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours