Mys
Mys is a programming language.@

But it is also a challenge.

No documentation is provided. You have to make a "Hello, world!" program, producing that exact text (it's possible in under 200 characters.). If that is achieved (which it has been), you can see the challenge progression below.

Trying to deobfuscate or debug the source code is cheating, and sharing large amounts of Mys syntax secrets ruins the fun for all future users. The point of the language is for new users to discover things for themselves. Don't ruin it for others. If you don't like that, then stop using Mys and ignore this thread.
#

You should submit your source here if you accomplish a challenge. Do not post it, because then people might figure out the syntax. (Hopefully you understand the point of Mys by now. The syntax is supposed to by a mystery)

Challenge progression list available here!

Completed Challenges (spreadsheet)

Have fun. Go to the challenge here!

If you are stuck, use a hint.

Found a bug? PM me your source and the output Smile
This is incredibly difficult, given that we have absolutely nothing to go off of, and from what I can see, the commands aren't named anything that makes sense. I see you heavily obfuscated your JavaScript to try to deter people trying to cheat, which is probably a good thing because after 2 minutes of trying, I was already giving up and pulling up the code. I was greeted with a nice message though,
Quote:
Trying to deobfuscate or debug the code is cheating, and sharing large amounts of Mys syntax secrets ruins the fun for all future users. The point of the language is for new users to discover things for themselves. Don't ruin it for others. If you don't like that, then GTFO. \n\nBy the way, there are no clues, besides the hints in my Cemetech post. VGhlIGxhc3QgbGluZSBpcyBhIGxpZQ==.\n - _iPhoenix_

Which has worked, because I've decided not to try to de-obfuscate your source.
I have started to look at the clues more closely, and I've made some progress, although it's quite minimal. We'll see if I give up before figuring it out Laughing
mr womp womp wrote:
This is incredibly difficult, given that we have absolutely nothing to go off of, and from what I can see, the commands aren't named anything that makes sense. I see you heavily obfuscated your JavaScript to try to deter people trying to cheat, which is probably a good thing because after 2 minutes of trying, I was already giving up and pulling up the code. I was greeted with a nice message though,
Quote:
Trying to deobfuscate or debug the code is cheating, and sharing large amounts of Mys syntax secrets ruins the fun for all future users. The point of the language is for new users to discover things for themselves. Don't ruin it for others. If you don't like that, then GTFO.

By the way, there are no clues, besides the hints in my Cemetech post. VGhlIGxhc3QgbGluZSBpcyBhIGxpZQ==
- _iPhoenix_

Which has worked, because I've decided not to try to de-obfuscate your source.
I have started to look at the clues more closely, and I've made some progress, although it's quite minimal. We'll see if I give up before figuring it out 0x5

Awesome! I hope you enjoy the challenge.

<spoiler>
Once you discover how to print letters, you are 90% done. You will learn something about the grammar of Mys.
</spoiler>

I got the idea of the warning from asciiworld, which was created by Juju on CodeWalrus for UCC3. It had no effect on me personally, because I downloaded his database and had a bit of fun finding exploits and stuff. (I undid everything, though, plz no ban from CW)

I've decided I'm not going to announce when I am adding commands, because of the nature of the language.

Also, the interpreter is getting a stylistic upgrade soon Smile

I'm super proud of how the poem turned out. Here's how the "disappearing letters" effect works:

1) I wrap each letter in a pre tag, so that I can target them individually and so that they are monospaced.
2) I apply the following CSS rules:

Code:
pre {
   user-select: none;
   transition: color .25s .5s;
   display: inline-block;
   color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0);
}
pre:hover {
   transition: color .1s;
   color: #333;
}
This is actually really cool, but I’ve got to say, I’m having trouble getting anywhere. I tried one of the 3 byte programs, but I’m not exactly sure what it did, if anything.
this isn’t a hint. why did you even decide to look here???
Michael2_3B wrote:
This is actually really cool, but I’ve got to say, I’m having trouble getting anywhere. I tried one of the 3 byte programs, but I’m not exactly sure what it did, if anything.

<spoiler>
Note that the output box below the input (hopefully, jacobly showed me this is browser-specific) changed size. That means you may have done something.
</spoiler>

Yeah, it's quite frustrating. But the second line of The Poem (tm) should help.
It appears I've cracked at least part of the code. Albeit probably not in the way you imagined, but I wrote and sent you my hello world program.
123outerme wrote:
It appears I've cracked at least part of the code. Albeit probably not in the way you imagined, but I wrote and sent you my hello world program.

Running your submission was... interesting, to say the least.

You printed out ASCII art of each of the characters...

I applaud your efforts, but that was not the challenge...
I think I got the hello, world! program right, but I'm wondering if it's possible to print more than 1 character per line (so horizontal text instead of vertical).
really, there’s nothing h 3avquz ‘@@
Edit: Nevermind! I figured out how to do horizontal text =P
Michael2_3B wrote:
I think I got the hello, world! program right, but I'm wondering if it's possible to print more than 1 character per line (so horizontal text instead of vertical).

Yes, it is possible!
<spoiler>
haha you fell for it and thought that there was a hint here
</spoiler>
_iPhoenix_ wrote:

I got the idea of the warning from asciiworld, which was created by Juju on CodeWalrus for UCC3. It had no effect on me personally, because I downloaded his database and had a bit of fun finding exploits and stuff. (I undid everything, though, plz no ban from CW)

Hehe, glad you liked it Smile

Anyway, yeah it's a bit hard reverse engineering a whole programming language, but eh, at least it's not that hard figuring at least a bit of things out this time by writing a bunch of gibberish.
I’ve figured out a little bit more now, beyond the hello world program.

While there is one way to print characters like in the hello world program, I figured out another way to print out entire tables or print out a staircase of certain characters in just a few bytes.
@#& is a valid program
Beyond that, I really still have no clue what I’m doing.
Well, I had to take three hints, but have a foothold. This is pretty fun now.
"Centered to the left" and "right-centered" are not phrases I've ever heard before, please explain.
jacobly wrote:
"Centered to the left" and "right-centered" are not phrases I've ever heard before, please explain.

I meant aligned, not centered. Tired and busy phoenixes can't think, apparently.
Can you make text executable with [enter] or [return]? (Maybe make the text box bigger?)
jcgter777 wrote:
Can you make text executable with [enter] or [return]? (Maybe make the text box bigger?)

I'm more focused on adding functionality right now, but I'll add that Smile
Well, I take that back. I'm adding a bunch of styling today, as well as a few new commands and challenges.

I'm really excited about some of these upcoming changes.
I added a bunch of new commands, and a few new challenges, too! You can find documentation for the commands here.

Your chances of discovering something useful in the language has essentially been doubled. (well, not quite, but I like the figure)

Because of these new changes, the smallest submission to certain challenges might not be the smallest anymore, so you might want to try to beat those and get it as small as you can!

If you have a good idea for a challenge, you can suggest new challenges to me here! New challenges have to be doable which is something I've failed at a few times, so you have to provide a working solution with your challenge.

Additionally, juju2143 created an awesome favicon. It's oddly cute, so it currently graces my signature in all of its mystical glory. I added some links to his social media accounts to the about page.
Haven't tried it yet, but it's still easier than Malbolge Laughing .
Midnightas wrote:
Haven't tried it yet, but it's still easier than Malbolge 0x5 .

Most things are Smile

Warning:

I may have fixed this earlier today, (I probably didn't) but I forget and don't really feel like trying to figure it out.

Currently, there are one or more commands that could cause infinite looping under the right circumstances. This is a bug and will be fixed whenever I get to it/feel like it (probably later today).

A good rule of thumb: if a program takes longer than 2 minutes to run, it has crashed, and the page should be reloaded.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

The bug has been fixed!

Edit:

I added a bunch of commands, and added MOAR CHALLENGES.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Mys
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours