Would someone be willing to help me develop an implicit function grapher for the TI-84 pce?
I whipped up a little program, it is really bad (most functions wont work...) and painfully slow, and I stole weregoose's string replace routine.
Here it is Razz

Code:
ClrAllLists
Input "F(X)=",Str1
Str1→Str3
For(X,Xmin,Xmax,0.3
length(toString(X→V
"("+Str3+")"→Str1
inString(Ans,"Y",2→W
While Ans
sub(Str1,1,W-1
If V:Ans+"("+toString(X)+")"
Ans+sub(Str1,1+W,length(Str1)-W→Str1
inString(Ans,"Y",V+W→W
End
Str1→Y₁
solve(Y₁,X,0,{­-E99,­E99

Ans→L₁(1+dim(L₁
X→L₂(1+dim(L₂
End
DelVar Y₁
Plot1(Scatter,L₁,L₂,•
DispGraph

also, it doesn't really graph at all, it just draws a lot of points and pretends that that's somehow good enough Laughing
It seems to have a preference for things that have more than one y for each x, and those expressions seem to work more often, but I couldn't be bothered to figure out exactly what's going on.
Here are some sample drawings (when you don't get any error...)

X+Y²-1

2X+Y-1

For a quick-and-dirty visual without the muss of variable manipulation, this program (for use on the color edition) evaluates at a fixed number of positions and assigns a gray color based on how close each answer came to zero. With both axes at -1 to 1, try Y1=abs(X)+abs(Y)-1 for a diamond, or (X²+Y²)²-2XY for a lemniscate.

Code:
FnOff
DispGraph
8ΔX→R
For(X,Xmin+2ΔX,Xmax,4ΔX
For(Y,Ymin+2ΔY,Ymax,4ΔY
abs(Y1
If Ans≤R
Then
round(25-4Ans/R,0
Pt-On(X,Y,1,Ans-13(Ans=25
End
End
End
Thanks a lot! They both look pretty cool. Smile
Tried them out, and Mr. Womp Womp's one gave an ERROR: Bound, and Weregoose's program gave an Invalid Token error when trying to transfer to calc. Any ideas?
You should press Goto when the errors come up, and try fixing them yourself. Very Happy

I did this to learn Basic, and it helped. You don't need to if you don't want to.
meh, mine is garbage, it can give errors for all sorts of reasons, I wouldn't bother Razz
Legoman314 wrote:
ERROR: Bound

The first part of {­E99,­E99} ought to be negative.

Legoman314 wrote:
Invalid Token error when trying to transfer to calc. Any ideas?

Must be the ΔX. Type it manually on your calculator with [VARS] [1] [8].
Thanks. Any chance of developing these into actual, working programs? Confused
Legoman314 wrote:
Thanks. Any chance of developing these into actual, working programs? Confused

It's not something I plan on doing, however, if you'd like to hammer out some problems and work on it a little, feel free to do so, I'm not very stingy about my code, especially when it's just a little piece like this.
O.K., I'll try. Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours