Just a suggestion. Lets have a completely BASIC contest next. I don't know assembly and my computer is too paranoid to let me run tasm80. I don't care about specifications on the contest. i just want a 100% BASIC contest.
Yes, please! I also don't know ASM or C or a lot of ICE...

What are the plot(s) of the contest? What are we going to make?
I will add this to my list of considerations for the next contest.
How about this:

A pure BASIC category
A pure ICE category
A pure C category
A pure ASM category

Users can choose which category they want; and then be judged in only that category Smile
MateoConLechuga wrote:
How about this:

A pure BASIC category
A pure ICE category
A pure C category
A pure ASM category

Users can choose which category they want; and then be judged in only that category Smile

We kind of did that for Crypto Golf, and it worked out pretty well.
Dynamite 0712 wrote:
Just a suggestion. Lets have a completely BASIC contest next. I don't know assembly and my computer is too paranoid to let me run tasm80. I don't care about specifications on the contest. i just want a 100% BASIC contest.

I couldnt remember my password to that account so this is my new account. Yeah, 100% basic. And no lib shenanigans. 100% basic.
MateoConLechuga wrote:
How about this:

A pure BASIC category
A pure ICE category
A pure C category
A pure ASM category

I WOULD LOVE THIS!
Though, are we judged on existing projects or we make something for the contest?
mets11rap wrote:
MateoConLechuga wrote:
How about this:

A pure BASIC category
A pure ICE category
A pure C category
A pure ASM category

I WOULD LOVE THIS!
Though, are we judged on existing projects or we make something for the contest?

Of course, you would be judged on something made for the contest.
Also, if there is a category for each language, then there probably would have to be a winner for each category, because I can't imagine trying to grade a pure basic program side by side with an ASM one.
This leads to an issue though because there are quite few categories, and relatively few members willing to participate. Having hosted contests before, I know that for a million different reasons, only a few people actually follow through and submit entries to contests. Normally this isn't much of an issue, because there are always a handful, but in this case, it is foreseeable to see 0-1 entries in the ASM category. Another issue that might arise is the idea of assigning the same task to all these very different languages. Some tasks are obviously going to be much more difficult in some languages than others. This would help worsen the situation where few people enter in the wide variety of categories. The other option would be to make different challenges depending on what language the contestant is entering in, but this leads to issues as well, because some challenges could then be easier than others.
For these reasons, I think it would be a quixotic undertaking that would certainly feel incredibly disorganized. I know that it is based on the idea of giving everybody equal opportunity, but it just doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
I think a solution may be, if I'm not misunderstanding, simply to focus only on TI-Basic or ASM/ASM compiled language. Not both.
I think it should be either ICE (CE ONLY) or BASIC Because I'm good at both, except game making...
I never thought my forum would become so popular. Very Happy

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours