On my quest to learn Ti-Basic I encountered this guide for programming games http://www.ticalc.org/pub/text/misc/tibasicgamedesign.pdf
My question is if this guide can be used for the TI-84+CE model. I know TI-84 Plus SE is very similar, but I just want to make sure and not waste my time. Also, any tips for game design will be greatly appreciated.
If you start the guide, It says that
Guide wrote:
If you are coming here to learn to code in TI-Basic, you are in the wrong
spot. This tutorial is designed, for those already familiar with TI-Basic, as a crash
course in game design. This tutorial will delve, first, into the mechanics of a
game, ways to accomplish those mechanics in TI-Basic, and lastly, the game
debugging process. Beginners in TI-Basic will have a migraine by the first page
of Chapter 2.

I suggest you look at the Resources section of this site to get started

EDIT: The guides in that section can be used on the CE, you'll just need some minor adjustments in text/ graph routines for screen size differences (CE is bigger)
Indeed, a lot of basic has remained the same, but the parts that have changed are mostly related to the screen (colors and coordinates). The 1337 guide is actually very relevant when coding pure basic games on the CE, as stated above, the only difference will be coordinates. Luckily, things were mostly added, not removed, and I believe nothing covered in the guide has been removed, so it should all be relevant. I actually went through to make sure it didn't mention text sprites, which are one of the few things that will work on the monochromes, but not on the CSE/CE.
Honestly though, I think a lot of people just put in random coordinates until the sprite or text is right where they want it, so even the coordinates shouldn't really be an issue.
SM84CE wrote:
If you start the guide, It says that
Guide wrote:
If you are coming here to learn to code in TI-Basic, you are in the wrong
spot. This tutorial is designed, for those already familiar with TI-Basic, as a crash
course in game design. This tutorial will delve, first, into the mechanics of a
game, ways to accomplish those mechanics in TI-Basic, and lastly, the game
debugging process. Beginners in TI-Basic will have a migraine by the first page
of Chapter 2.

I suggest you look at the Resources section of this site to get started

EDIT: The guides in that section can be used on the CE, you'll just need some minor adjustments in text/ graph routines for screen size differences (CE is bigger)

Thank you for replying. I already visited the page and familiarized myself with basic programming. I learn best when forcing myself into the position, so I thought attempting to program a game was the best thing to do. I like to learn as I go. I read it and understood most of it (I will probably forget some parts, but I'll just revisit the page and in doing so hopefully remembering). It was very well written, so even I could understand.
Don't force yourself, and start small. You'll pick up small skills as you go on. Those will come in useful as you go on to bigger projects.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours