I would love to see my suggestion developed for the TI-84 Plus CE Basic...
After playing "Tetris A" by Kerm Martian for the TI-84 Plus CE, I thought to myself, what game uses a matrix, doesn't exist in mainland USA (I'm Hawaiian), and is more competitive? I instantly thought Puyo Puyo. In Puyos, players attempt to burst squishy, glossy balls called Puyo by connecting at least 4 of the same color. You can also set up chains for a domino effect of bursts. Of course, because the 84 Plus CE has a color display, and Puyos need colors, it's more ideal for the system than retro, bland, spinach-color models.
Take a brief view at Puyo Chains, and here is a chain simulator. I suggest that only the five main Puyos be included in the final version:
https://puyonexus.com/chainsim/
https://youtu.be/kubNL_Nug8U?list=PLrO3QYLj4hS8Bg9DmV0TvtdfCgYX-rPl3
https://youtu.be/k8HoGzD4mWw?t=25m35s
Hey, welcome to Cemetech! That game seems pretty cool. Unfortunately, I'm not sure many people would be willing to port it as many of us have lots of other projects going on. It would be amazing if you learned how to program it yourself! There is a great tutorial for learning BASIC here, and if you need help with a command, you can refer to the command index! If you need any help with anything, feel free to post your question! Very Happy
Welcome to Cemetech!
If you want to make a better quality and speed version, you could look into learning C!Very Happy

Some info here.

Or, just this
Thanks for replying and encouraging me to develop a port of Puyo Puyo! If it weren't for your reply and the BASIC guide, I wouldn't be energized to port the game. I am, in fact, a rookie!
Update on Puyo Port

Someone ported Puyo Puyo to the TI 83 back in 2009, with different shapes instead of colors for the 83's grass color screen. Perhaps this will give me insight on how to port the game to the 84 Plus CE BASIC. I don't believe the 83 version has gravity
http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/423/42355.html
Fallin' Gong wrote:
Update on Puyo Port

Someone ported Puyo Puyo to the TI 83 back in 2009, with different shapes instead of colors for the 83's grass color screen. Perhaps this will give me insight on how to port the game to the 84 Plus CE BASIC. I don't believe the 83 version has gravity
http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/423/42355.html

That is a very nice game, however, it won't be very insightful when porting to CE basic, because that game is in z80 asm. ASM isn't really related to basic at all, and in fact, I would argue that while ti-basic is one of the easiest languages out there, asm is among the most difficult. The structure of the game sounds quite doable, and I think the most difficult part will be the graphics, given that you want to write this in pure basic. I think the game is more of a cross between Bejeweled and Tetris. You might want to have a look at those for inspiration, as they will probably be more insightful. Also, you might want to take a look at "the 2016 program of the year", and "the axe of the ti-84 plus CE". This is a language that closely resembles basic, but gets compiled to asm. It also includes a bunch of c functions, which should make game writing much easier. You will definitely be able to achieve much better results in ICE than in pure basic, in terms of eye-candy and speed.
The only downside is that ICE is a little bit harder than pure basic, but not a whole lot, so you should be ok. Also, the file size will surely be bigger, but on the CE, that really isn't a problem.
...As a beginner, I have already made a simply programmed intro screen using only the command " Output", with my username and concept control description. I have not learned anything else to continue.
I think the best way to learn basic is to look at other people's code. The nice part about basic is that it's not very hard to learn, even for people who have never coded before. Of course, there is some documentation available, and I think tibasicdev is the best, but there is also the Learn section of Cemetech. With those tools in hand, I recommend you download some simple programs from the archives, and deconstruct them by looking at the commands and their arguments. When you feel comfortable, you can start building your own program, and feel free to post any questions that might arise, and people on here will be more than happy to help out in any way they can. I think making a game like Puyo Puyo might not be the best choice for a very early program, because it will require quite a bit of different bits of ti-basic, but I definitely encourage you to try, because pushing the boundaries is how people learn.
mr womp womp wrote:
but there is also the Learn section of Cemetech

The Learn section hasn't been updated in a while, TIBD has the most up to date information Razz
I thought TIBD was even more out of date...

If you have any questions, just post them here!!

~give Fallin' Gong post
I was making several sprites for the project. The Puyo sprites are directly based on the ones from early Puyo games using ICE Sprite program. But I'm curious, is ICE meant for game programs or can it be used for other kinds of programs?
Of course it can be used for other programs! I made a getKey value finder in ICE.
Oh cool! I already have that program!
Well I'm still unsure if I should work with ICE or BASIC... I spent over a week of inactivity after doing ICE sprites on whether to use BASIC or ICE...
You should use ICE. It's way faster, and really easy to learn. Plus, you can just ask questions here!
Oh Thanks! I was already leaning towards ICE to begin with!
Fallin' Gong wrote:
I was making several sprites for the project. The Puyo sprites are directly based on the ones from early Puyo games using ICE Sprite program. But I'm curious, is ICE meant for game programs or can it be used for other kinds of programs?

I made a fake but cool looking temperature checker, you can do many things with ICE (I made my dad a birthday card, and a credits screen for a group project)
Just here to inform all that I will be learning TI-BASIC first, because the ICE tutorial seems like it requires me to learn TI-BASIC before I can start learning ICE.
Yeah, but going from TI-Basic to ICE will still be hard. I know that from experience, though I do have to admit, I didn't exactly put all in when I was trying to learn different calculator languages.
To learn basic, I literally just tried to hack my favorite programs and experiment with random commands. The bridge from TI-Basic to ICE was not hard at all. You just need to know ICE syntax, and how programs work.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours