Hi everyone - first post, glad to find this place!

I see this has been covered a bit before, but hoping there are some updates since previous posts.

I've acquired several TI-84 Plus from friends and eBay over a good period of time with the infamous pressure-caused screen blotch. Okay so I'm a hoarder, I admit. So - MULTIPLE questions.

1. Any fixes for this?
2. Possible to separate the LCD and the cover screen to clean things up?
3. Sources for replacement parts (other than buying more of them) - either just the screen OR the whole board?
4. Any other models which use the same LCD?

Thanks in advance, and thanks for putting together / maintaining this site!
Given that this is a pretty common problem, someone should really hunt down TI's supplier, and just order a production run of LCDs. You could probably order 500 units for less than $1000, including the sticky flat-flex connectors. It's major overkill and not-at-all economical to fix a single calculator; but fix a few dozen, and it's a pretty good return-on-investment, considering you could pick up broken calculators for less than $10 each---or, if found locally, free---and resell them for more than $20, maybe as much as $50.

In case you're wondering, no, you can't order a single LCD from the manufacturer for $2. They can only make them cheap when manufactured in bulk. The overhead of setting up a production run would be at least a few hundred dollars, so ordering just one is just stupid.
I've actually thought long and hard about this, and I think cemetech could probably crowdfund a production run, and then distribute it across members. I know a whole bunch of members have the same issue, and we see this kind of post all the time from people with random damaged screen issues. The thing is, most people only need 1 or 2 screens, and 500, which is a number I've seen thrown around more than once now, is quite a big number. Granted, we don't need to fix 500 calculators for the purchase to be viable, but I think it would still be quite difficult to find enough buyers to break even. Also, selling some on eBay for 5-10 bucks a pop might help absorb the cost, but as an investment, I would consider it pretty wild. There is definitely a market for replacement screens, but I think the question is whether or not the market is big enough to justify buying an entire production run. Also, I'm sure the information is hiding somewhere, but it would be good to know what models use the same (or almost the same) screens. For example, I have a few ti-82s that have busted screens, but I'm not sure that it is the same screen. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has other calculator models with busted screens. Knowing if the screens would work on other models could increase the size of the pool of potential buyers significantly, making the investment more viable. I have an inkling that DrDnar might be able to enlighten me on the subject Rolling Eyes

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours