I decided it might be easier to understand how 8xp tokenization works before going into 68k tokenization. I stumbled upon this thread and got a pretty good idea of how tokenization works.

First question: If I had a program like:

Code:

Disp "HELLO!

Would it then be sent to the calculator as:

Code:

DE48454C4C4F2D

And if not, what would the format be?
You're missing the opening quote (2A), but otherwise, yes, that's the correct tokenization. Then you'd have to have to pack the hexadecimal string into raw bytes, drop it into the TI-83+ variable file format, and save the resulting binary file as an 8xp.
Runer112 wrote:
You're missing the opening quote (2A), but otherwise, yes, that's the correct tokenization. Then you'd have to have to pack the hexadecimal string into raw bytes

How would I go about doing that?
Runer112 wrote:

So I did some messing around here because I was able to see the program header (I can also sort of see the header when I open the 8xp program in notepad). So does that mean I would have this as the program:

Code:

**TI83F*
Variable Name: untitled
Comment: hiya there
DE2A48454C4C4F2D

Or would I just take all that header information and convert it to hex instead of leaving it as text?

EDIT: Did some more research and found that the header was in hexadecimal. So I assume that this would be an example of a header:

Code:
2A2A54493833462A1A0A0046696c652067656e65726174656420627920417373656d626c6578202d20446176696420476f6d657300

Then would I proceed to create the program, or is there some more information I need to add?
The file should be a binary file, not hexadecimal encoded as text. If you want to examine existing 8xp files for reference, you should use a hex editor (ex. HxD), not a text editor.
Nice! The variable file format was pretty self explanatory after looking at it in a hex editor. However, I'm having a hard time understanding what the checksum is. According to the linkguide:
TI-83+ Link Protocol Guide wrote:
File checksum. This is the lower 16 bits of the sum of all bytes in the data section.

How would I add the bytes?
Battlesquid wrote:
Nice! The variable file format was pretty self explanatory after looking at it in a hex editor. However, I'm having a hard time understanding what the checksum is. According to the linkguide:
File checksum. This is the lower 16 bits of the sum of all bytes in the data section.

How would I add the bytes?

This is the lower 16 bits of the sum of all bytes in the data section.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours