Site is here!Edit: Changed link to the Demo link
Today, (As I am posting this) I created a free, simple, and open solution to a problem exactly none of us have. I created what is essentially an IRC chatroom, but crappier!

Introducing UniChat, which is a bare-bones, embarrassingly simple chatroom! https://pastebin.com/56Azt9tv <temp

Utilizing Google's powerful Firebase platform, it is a place where you can communicate with the other users, which has peaked at 8 (yay, much many users)!

Not only is it a great messaging tool, but I am using it to create a bounty of anonymized, secure data that my machine-learning algorithms can learn human behaviour from!

It is also in active development, with new features arriving every day! (keep in mind that I came up with the idea ~8 hours ago as I am posting this)

Planned features: (starting at -3 because I was too lazy to go back and change the numbers as I came up with new ideas) (Errm the numbers are kind of broken now, but :/)
2) URL detection and creation
4) private chatrooms (maybe)
5) Bots (Because I’m using the almighty god “Google”’s Firebase platform, they can be written in many different languages)
5) ???

Current features:
1) Working message storage.
2) Usernames
3) Automagic pseudorandom default username creator thing.
4) Commands

I am also looking for more adjectives and nouns for the automagic pseudorandom default username creator thing (you can type lists of them into the service, I can check the logs if you want)

Endorsements/Community love:
Zeman wrote:
dude, UniChat sucks

MateoC wrote:
unichat sucks

TLM wrote:
At least UniChat is better than Vista.
Vista was so bad, all I used it for was to chat.

Old-Fashioned SAX wrote:
6:40:48 PM [TheLastMillennial] Nikkybot, what do you think about unichat?
6:40:50 PM [#] [nikkybot] better than Fedora

Michael2_3B wrote:
6:49:01 PM [Michael2_3B] Unichat is kinda like a vacuum cleaner
6:49:05 PM [Michael2_3B] Except it doesn't clean anything
6:49:15 PM [Michael2_3B] (How's that for community love?)

A lot of people actually do like it; Ranman thinks it amazing!

Over the past months, UniChat has expanded and gotten to the point where I would consider it a decent communication tool. Future updates will make it even better!
Here is the mayhem:
(I played the role of TLM, Nikkybot, Physics, MateoC#,_PT, _iPhoenix_ (but only for the first 3 lines), and Michael3_2B.) Razz

UniChat wrote:
Nikkybot: I am
_iPhoenix_: (real _iPhoenix_) I am working on it.
TLM: Hehe, I'll stop then Razz
_iPhoenix_: (fake iPhoenix) Signing out...
_iPhoenix_: lol
Unichat: I suck.
_iPhoenix_: Everyone reload the page
Vacuum: I also suck.
Michael2_3B: Reload the page?
_iPhoenix_: test
Physics: nothing sucks, it's just difference in air pressure
_iPhoenix_: go to https://legend-of-iphoenix.github.io/UniChat/js/main.js, then hop back to https://legend-of-iphoenix.github.io/UniChat/
_iPhoenix_: 1) https://legend-of-iphoenix.github.io/UniChat/js/main.js
_iPhoenix_: 2) https://legend-of-iphoenix.github.io/UniChat/
_iPhoenix_: *Do step 1 twice*
HotBear: Why did the website give me this name
MateoC#: I dunno
_iPhoenix_: It's random
IndigoPhoenix: Keeps giving me names
_iPhoenix_: errm
_iPhoenix_: I'm a failure at programming
LargeLion: Why
MateoC#: _iPhoenix_ Why did you make this so compex?
TLM: Is that MateoC?
_iPhoenix_: are you the actual Mateo, or a clone?
OrangePepper: _iPhoenix_: You need chat scrolling & backlog
_iPhoenix_: yep
_iPhoenix_: all WIP
MateoC#: I am *a* Mateo, but not *the* Mateo
TLM: huh
VioletThing: lol
MateoConHelado: I'm the Mateo with ice cream
MateoConHelado: *I'm a Mateo with ice cream
_iPhoenix_: test
_iPhoenix_: yay
TLM: look at SAX
_iPhoenix_: I did
Nikkybot: Oh boy, more Mateos, we needed that.
_PT: Hi
_iPhoenix_: hello :/
Michael2_3B: iPhoenix you should add some formatting and colors Very Happy
Michael2_3B: In general
_iPhoenix_: yeah
_iPhoenix_: "OMFG CSS"
Nikkybot: Great, a PT too
Nikkybot: What's next? Kerm?!
_iPhoenix_: god forbid.
_iPhoenix_: *Kerm forbid
Michael2_3B: There's honestly no way to tell who is who here. Maybe you should interlink with the Cemetech server Razz
_iPhoenix_: I can't
Kermit: No just a Kermit
Michael2_3B: I know Razz
_iPhoenix_: Not without Kerm's perms
Michael2_3B: I am the real Michael though btw
_iPhoenix_: IK
KermsPerms: Meow
Michael3_2B: I'm not
Michael2_3B: Stop it
_iPhoenix_: There's a database of all of the used usernames, and this is hilarious.
Michael2_3B: You'll confuse us
Michael3_2B: I'm not confused
Michael3_2B: But I'll stop Sad
Michael2_3B: Get out
Michael3_2B: /me leaves
_iPhoenix_: Sad
TLM: /me kicks Michael3_2B
Michael2_3B: TLM it was you
Michael2_3B: I know
_iPhoenix_: Let all usernames be of their respective owners
TLM: aww
Nikkybot: Fine!
Michael2_3B: iPhoenix: You also need to fix identity theft Razz
TLM: You have no idea how had that was Razz
_iPhoenix_: Michael2_3B: I'm working on a system that prevents people from changing their names, and setting their names to ones that are of online users
TLM: All I did was open a new tab and went to this site
_iPhoenix_: yeah, that's going to be in the next update, which will probably be tomorrow.

EDIT: Unichat just got its first karma
Quote:
11/13/17 @5‎:‎58‎:‎12‎ ‎PM [TheLastMillennial] UNICHAT++
My internal database statistics show me that there were 20 usernames adopted by 6 users.

It was mayhem.
You should use a css framework like MaterializeCSS. It might make things look a bit better Very Happy
Unicorn wrote:
You should use a css framework like MaterializeCSS. It might make things look a bit better Very Happy

Yeah, but code is happening behind the scenes!

It seems UniChat was rather active last night, which is cool!

_iPhoenix_ wrote:
Unicorn wrote:

But did you know that there was spam? Shock
Battlesquid wrote:
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
Unicorn wrote:

But did you know that there was spam? Shock

Yup.

By the way, I did some CSS and I want some feedback.
I also backed up and deleted the database (because it was huge; nothing was lost.)

I have added semi-functional timestamps, too!
<double post because of huge update>

I added /pm <user> <message>, which basically sends them a message that only they can see.

/me <action> was also added by popular request, and I quite like it.

Certain bugs were squashed, more CSS was added, and I rounded out some of the database glitches. (ooh they were nasty, thank goodness this was when nobody was online)

UniAdmins (currently only me) can also do /you, which is basically /me but acts as if someone else was using it. It's hilarious.

Your username is remembered when the page loads, and you can press enter to submit messages!!!

More suggestions are welcomed. You can use /pm _iPhoenix_ <suggestion> on there, or just post 'em up here! Thanks!
Implemented Chat Rooms.

You can pick a topic, and chat Smile

(Currently only three, but more will be added)

(EDIT: they got broken, but they got fixed at lightning speed Smile)
It seems chat rooms have been mildly unpopular, so I’m going to be implementing a new, tag-based system.

Basically, every time you enter a message, you can (optionally) tag the message with a simple, one-word topic. (There will be buttons to click on, so you don’t need to type the tag)

Users can (optionally) sort by tag.

For example:

Let’s say SM84CE wants me to implement a command.
After he types his message, he can click a button that will mark his message as a “Suggestion”.

I might be filtering my messages, so that I see all “Chat”, all “Bug-Report”, and all “Suggestion” messages. I will see, and probably implement SM84CE’s suggestion.

Battlesquid, however, might be filtering his messages to only see “Chat” messages. He will not see SM84CE’s suggestion.

TLM, might not be filtering at all. He will see all messages, including SM84CE’s suggestion.

(Usernames are just for demo purposes)
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
After he types his message, he can click a button that will mark his message as a “Suggestion”.

I might be filtering my messages, so that I see all “Chat”, all “Bug-Report”, and all “Suggestion” messages. I will see, and probably implement SM84CE’s suggestion.

not always! Be ready for Attack of the User Catching Bots! Yes, that was a Universal Paperclips reference
SM84CE wrote:
_iPhoenix_ wrote:

not always! Be ready for Attack of the User Catching Bots! Yes, that was a Universal Paperclips reference

Heh.

I’m working with a few friends to hopefully speed up the development process.

We have gotten a lot done already, with the tags system almost 90% done!

We also did a bit of UI changes, following MateoC’s excellent suggestions on how to style a chatting website in a semi-competent manner <3

Changelog:
+ Added tags
+ Added filtering of tags.
- removed chatrooms
+ Added a “user entered the room” message.
* redid CSS:
~ Output has an optional full-screen mode. (This is WIP, might not happen)
~ Every other message is a new color.
~ Redid all buttons.
~ ... and more!

EDIT: We are really sorry for not getting this update out yesterday. It has taken much longer than expected, due to numerous IRL problems and unexpected failures. We are almost done, and this should be out within 90 minutes.

By the way, please welcome DKKingno, his name is not "D. K. King" and he sucks at donkey kong to the development team behind UniChat!

He has currently done quite a bit of work behind the scenes on this site.

I have also been teaching him the ways of the TI-Basic programmer, so I hope he eventually gets around to posting one of his projects here.
GREAT NEWS! We are only like ~24 hours off schedule...

The UniChat dev team (*cough* mostly me, besides like 8 lines of code *cough*) has been hard at work implementing tags, highlights, new CSS features, and more!

You can optionally tag your messages with one of the pre-generated (you can suggest more) tags, and, even better, sort the flood of new messages (at least, I hope it will be a flood), with the filter tags!

You can have more than one tag per message, and you can filter more than one tag!

PM's, however, bypass this, and you will see them no matter how you are filtering!

You are highlighted if someone says your name, and you are able to see your message. (if you are highlighted, and you have a filter that does not match their message, then their highlight will not be shown)

Additionally, if you are PM'd, you are also highlighted.

Unfortunately, I haven't implemented any kind of alert (it's really easy, it will take me like 20 seconds), so you will have to check back every few minutes. :/ (I'll probably do some form of audio alert, like a ding, or similar to a SAX highlight, where it changes the title)

Every other message is a different color, for ease of use, and hours are in 12-hour format instead of 24-hour format.

There is also a "<user> entered the room" message. The output thingie is also a bit wider.

As per TLM's suggestion, when an invalid message is typed, the input bar's border flashes red.

Of course, I will be implementing SM84CE's ~bot thingies ASAP <3
To reset you username, go to the chrome console and run the following code:

Code:
reset();

If you are not using chrome, then clear your browsing data and reload the page.

Abuse is strictly disallowed. <3
Development for UniChat has stopped semi-permanently, due to a project that I think is better (and you will too, trust me on this one)

The service, however, will stay up indefinitely! I will still be using it, but no questions about this project will be answered.
I just pushed a minor update that lets me enter the room silently, so that I don’t fill up the chatroom.

Edit: I also fixed a small error where messages sent between 12 am/pm and 1 am/pm would have “00” as the hour in their timestamp.

Edit Edit: Expect small “CSS Tweaks” throughout the day as we “polish the user experience”
I added a feature where you can get up to 25 of the most recent PM's that were sent to you.

Only PM's that are sent after this update count!
Somehow my name was changed to "xMarminq_", but I didn't even do anything.

I've tried clearing my history/cookies and have tried both Safari and Chrome, but my name still appears as "xMarminq_". However, when I go to the site the initial text box says "Welcome back, Michael2_3B"
Lol. Unichat's gonna be fun.
Michael2_3B wrote:
Somehow my name was changed to "xMarminq_", but I didn't even do anything.

I've tried clearing my history/cookies and have tried both Safari and Chrome, but my name still appears as "xMarminq_". However, when I go to the site the initial text box says "Welcome back, Michael2_3B"

Yup, I’m an idiot. Fixing.

Edit: fixed.

I was literally missing an equals sign.

_iPhoenix_ wrote:
Development for UniChat has stopped semi-permanently, due to a project that I think is better (and you will too, trust me on this one)

The service, however, will stay up indefinitely! I will still be using it, but no questions about this project will be answered.

UniChat is back into active development, due to me having more free time.

Edit:
You can tell I'm doing work when the database processing load reaches 17% (normal: 0-2%)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 11
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours