This year I started a new study: Computer Science. I expected to be a lot of programming, and a bit hardware, but it turned out that I am wrong. We are doing a lot more hardware, and designing circuits and whatever. We can test all the circuits at school, were are a lot of FPGAs (we use the EPM7032SLC44-5), along with a clock, 8 LEDs, and a BCD 7-segment display. Here are some things I created (don't expect complex things though):

- A 3-bits adder, connected to a BCD 7-segment display

full_addr is a small circuit I designed to add 2 bits and a carry, and the output is the sum and the carry. Since our 7-segment display can only display 0-9 and not A-F, some additions results in a nonsense display, but I'm currently working on a circuit (a replacement of the 7447 IC) that can display A-F as well.

It uses S0-S2 for input 1, and S3-S5 for input 2, so as you can see, here it adds 011+001 = 4 Smile

- Some kind of microcontroller

It uses 3 inputs, and it has 8 actions based on that inputs. I took a circuit from the Internet to store data (bits), that is what the module ram_bit is. bit_switch is supposed to switch the bit if SWITCH is 1. Hopefully you can figure out what all the 8 actions are, but it doesn't work properly Razz

I'm designing these in MAX+ plus II, and that includes a simulator as well, so I can have different inputs over time, to make it more fun.

I'm sure there is a lot more fun to discover, but we will see later. What experiences do you guys have with circuitry? Smile
Cool! I have some experiences with circuitry!!
I made a friend a simple alarm system for her room once (with a laser)
I haven't made quite as many circuits as I have disassembled though Razz
I took apart a solar flashlight and wired a USB connector to it so it could charge the rechargeable battery via USB, rather than just charge via the built-in solar panel, which took FOREVER. I've also taken apart many, many things to see how they work, such as a broken RC heli, a soldering iron, and once a humidifier.
A few years ago, I took apart a printer and created a shredder. I then linked it up to an existing, working printer, put a recycling bin below my shredder, and, well, had a laugh.

Edit: the circuitry required wasn’t too bad. I re-wired some of the motors backwards, added (read: superglued and duct-taped) a project knife to the print head, and removed the ink safety thing.(removed and safety probably shouldn’t be used together) I also removed the back and ink-squirting-mechanism, as well as a few ramps to help guide the paper.

I then had it “print” a few sheets of black stripes, so paper went in, got sliced by the print head, and slid out the back.

The project died an unfortunate death when I forgot to plug it in and thought it was broken (and threw it out)

Stupid me.
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
A few years ago, I took apart a printer and created a shredder. I then linked it up to an existing, working printer, put a recycling bin below my shredder, and, well, had a laugh.

This reminds me of this video:

Yeah, me too!

I thought of that video while posting (I love Tom Scott’s videos), but it wasn’t a thing when I did it.
We need to design boards as well, and it's always a fun task to complete this, while keeping it as compact as possible Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours