Hello, I am new to this kind of thing and I know nearly nothing about programming. I've always wanted to get into it, but I have trouble focusing on things. My main question is, would it be possible to port Dwarf Fortress to a TI-84 calculator? I have no idea if this kind of thing is even close to possible, but it'd be really cool to have dwarf fortress on the go. I'm sorry if this isn't in the right forum.
Anything resembling a "port" of something as complex as DF would need to be a clone instead. Given the limitations of the platform, you'd probably lose most of the depth that makes DF compelling as well.

You may be interested in CalcRogue, but it's 68k-only. Might be plausible to port to the CE since it has a reasonably good C compiler and higher display resolution than the monochrome Z80 calculators.
harmoniousax@gmail.com wrote:
My main question is, would it be possible to port Dwarf Fortress to a TI-84 calculator?

No. DF is a hugely complex program requiring half a Gbyte of RAM just to start. TI-84s have RAM in the range of tens to hundreds of kbyte. It also requires a beefy CPU, not a Z80 derivative.

Also, as far as I'm aware, Toady1 has no plans to release the source code, so any ports would have to be done by him.
The physics engine of fortress mode wouldn't be possible to make on a calculator, but a clone of adventure mode could probably be fairy close to the original. Of course, there are already a lot of rpgs out there, but I'd like to see more (especially for the TI-84 Plus CE).
dankcalculatorbro wrote:
The physics engine of fortress mode wouldn't be possible to make on a calculator, but a clone of adventure mode could probably be fairy close to the original.

Adventurer mode uses quite a bit of that physics engine. Also the parts about materials handling, body parts, and of course the whole giant and persistent world...

Also, the DF code can probably only be understood with (optimally) Toady1's brain or (alternatively) at least genius-level intelligence.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours