It's already been confirmed, but I've tried it on Windows 10 as well with no issues.

One way you could implement smoother movement without breaking your existing engine totally would be to use the following algorithm:

- Player presses a movement key, eg. Down.
- For the next 8 frames, the player input is ignored, and the player sprite is transitioned 1 pixel at a time to the next tile.
- Return to normal loop.

That would give the illusion of smooth movement, whilst maintaining tile-based x/y coordinates for the player to be compatible with the engine. During the smooth movement frames, you'll just need another movement counter variable to workout the player x or y offset between tiles for rendering.

I've probably explained that terribly, but hopefully it makes sense. Regardless, the game is fun and I look forward to the full release Smile
JamesV wrote:
It's already been confirmed, but I've tried it on Windows 10 as well with no issues.

One way you could implement smoother movement without breaking your existing engine totally would be to use the following algorithm:

- Player presses a movement key, eg. Down.
- For the next 8 frames, the player input is ignored, and the player sprite is transitioned 1 pixel at a time to the next tile.
- Return to normal loop.

That would give the illusion of smooth movement, whilst maintaining tile-based x/y coordinates for the player to be compatible with the engine. During the smooth movement frames, you'll just need another movement counter variable to workout the player x or y offset between tiles for rendering.

I've probably explained that terribly, but hopefully it makes sense. Regardless, the game is fun and I look forward to the full release Smile

Yeah, I think I get what you're asking! You want me to give the illusion of per-pixel movement by moving in tile-sized chunks, yet playing an animation to make movment smoother? I think I've done it then!
I decided I wanted Sorcery PC to be a little less old-school and a straight port of the CSE version, so I added a lot more visual flare! The opening text fades in from black, the character sprite moves around per-pixel (although still in tile-sized chunks), attacking animations now highlight who's attacking with more style, and more! I updated the OP to include the download links, which I'm now hosting off GitHub instead of Dropbox. Here's the screenshot:

I show the same things off as before, but with a lot more visual style, emphasizing the work I did to make everything pop and feel more lively on a more powerful machine! I figured since I had the space and speed for complicated animations and movement, I figured I might as well put it to good use. I can fine-tune the look of all my animations, so give me some feedback on what you (dis)like!
Awesome! I love the new movement sliding as well as the battle animation! Very Happy

EDIT: It seems (at least on Windows 10) that the custom keymapping doesn't save - each time I close and re-run the game, I have to re-map the keys.
JamesV wrote:
Awesome! I love the new movement sliding as well as the battle animation! Very Happy

EDIT: It seems (at least on Windows 10) that the custom keymapping doesn't save - each time I close and re-run the game, I have to re-map the keys.

I'm glad you like the new animations! As for that bug report, I have gotten that sometimes in the past, yet I could never pin it down. As I was thinking about it, I realized that for some saving/loading functions, I never fclose() any opened files. This was causing the kemaps or save file to sometimes not save, and prevented me from adding the ability to go back to the main menu after saving and quitting, as when you tried to load the game, it would not open your saved progress. This issue has been fixed, and as a result I can now let saving and quitting take you back to the main menu. A patch release will be coming soon to address these errors, as soon as I test thoroughly and make sure no other bugs that have been reported stay unfixed.

EDIT: Sorcery of Uvutu v1.1.1rc has been released! I fixed the issue with custom keymapping doesn't save, but if anyone's still experiencing this, please let me know. I also added the ability to go back to the main menu when you Save & Quit, instead of just closing the game, and changed the attack text in the Stats menu and the New Move menu from Up/Left/Down/Right to ^/</V/>, for ease of reading and text alignment. Download it from the OP, where the latest releases will always be.
Keymapping saves for me now Smile And being able to quit back to the main menu feels more natural too.
JamesV wrote:
Keymapping saves for me now Smile And being able to quit back to the main menu feels more natural too.

I'm glad you like the changes! I'm glad that keymapping saves as well, that is obviously a big feature of the PC version.

I had a revelation while reading some IRC chat (can't remember which site it was, but I think it was on SAX here), and I realized when someone sent a link to the official Wine website, someone who runs Linux can probably just play Sorcery of Uvutu using Wine. I'll attempt to test it with Wine myself, to make sure it's compatible and all, but it appears that SDL2 games should work fine.
Well, I've done it; I've finally released Sorcery of Uvutu PC! It's released under v1.0. I'll give you what did change between the release candidates, and then I'll talk about plans for the future. All download links and promotion material can be found in the original post, and in this one.

Right now, Sorcery of Uvutu is confirmed to work on Windows; both as a prebuilt executable, and as a self-built package. Unfortunately, all of my attempts to test on GNU-based machines have gone awry, so I'm depending on the community to help me on that front. As far as I know, Sorcery of Uvutu PC can't run on Linux, at least not on my Ubuntu VM, and another user confirmed issues. Not if it was compiled by the machine, anyways. I attempted to get Wine to work, but unfortunately it is too large to download to my VM, so I need to increase the space, but long story short I wiped the machine to reset it. I'm not sure how much space it needs, but a lot is already taken up by my stuff on the Windows side of the machine, so I don't know how much I have to spare. Again, the same user who reported issues with the Linux binaries found that the pre-buitl verison worked with Wine, although to what extent remains to be seem. If you can get Sorcery working or understand what the problem is and how to fix it, please, let me know, I'd love to have my project work on as many computers as possible!

Sorcery of Uvutu v1.0, as opposed to the Release Candidate versions, allows players to experience the game past the first world. Of course, this was done to ensure that there were no bugs present in the next worlds, and trust me, there were lots. As for the players who tried the Release Candidate versions, I thank you so much for helping me test and ensuring that various issues were accounted for and fixed accordingly. Unfortunately for the RC testers, if you beat the Plain Plains boss, you will have to create new save files. Why? Because you defeated the first boss, and that makes him go away. In the versions you tested, he never gave you the all-important Teleport Stone to let you progress through the worlds. In essence, you are stuck in World 1. Sorry for this minor inconvenience, but I hope you enjoy the second playthrough of Plain Plains! I'm sure you'll notice this time that the name is not really descriptive of the area; plains don't have lots of trees.

Going forward, I would love to add music. I have a friend who would like to do music, but he's pretty busy right now, so it'll have to come sometime later. On top of that, I'd have to learn the SDL_mixer library, and while that's not as hard as creating a soundtrack, it's nothing to scoff at. As well, I'd love to do a remake version that fixes many of the gameplay and story aspects that a lot said needed work, adds some additional features, and gives new content. Let me know if you're interested in a Director's Cut-esque remake. That being said, I like the original version as it stands, since it's a more accurate representation of the work I did on the CSE and monochrome 84+ versions of the game. This is by far my largest project, in terms of scope of potential player base; of course it should come to represent how much I'm worth as a game creator, but there's a certain aspect of legacy that I like to capture as well. That would be less the focus in a DX remake, but I think it would be all the better for it, giving players different opportunities to experience my vision in a more unrestricted sense. However, despite the insistence I have on keeping Sorcery PC mostly identical to the original TI calculator releases, I hope you find that it's great and unique!

As for other projects, now that Sorcery is complete, I have a couple ideas for new projects. Stay tuned for any announcements if you like my work, but the theme here will likely be remakes. If you're familiar with my work when I first started programming on the calculators, then you will love to hear what I've got brewing. I plan on having something playable (or at least worthy of a screenshot sent around on IRC) decently soon, although at this point I'm probably going to take a little break to get the programmer juice flowing again.

Download here: https://github.com/123outerme/Sorcery-of-SDL/releases
Report issues here: https://github.com/123outerme/Sorcery-of-SDL/issues
What if....

you added sounds!? (dundundun!!!)

Just a suggestion Very Happy
Battlesquid wrote:
What if....

you added sounds!? (dundundun!!!)

Just a suggestion Very Happy

I mentioned that in my third paragraph; I'd love to add music and sounds, but as of right now I'm waiting on a friend to make the music. He's decently busy right now and may turn out that he can't take it on right now. If that happens, either the idea for music dies, or I'll outsource it to a willing volunteer.
Awesome, I'm excited to give this a play!

As you've mentioned, sound would of course add a lot to the game. I still think adding some variations on the grass/tree tiles (and equivalent tiles on other worlds) would be great too, just to add some extra flavour sauce for the eyeballs, so maybe this would be something for the Director's Cut type remake you suggested Smile
JamesV wrote:
Awesome, I'm excited to give this a play!

As you've mentioned, sound would of course add a lot to the game. I still think adding some variations on the grass/tree tiles (and equivalent tiles on other worlds) would be great too, just to add some extra flavour sauce for the eyeballs, so maybe this would be something for the Director's Cut type remake you suggested Smile

Awesome! I hope you've had time to enjoy it! My friend says he's getting to work on music as we speak, so I'll have to start learning SDL_mixer then! I think that for sure, if I make a DX version, it's going to have a lot more story, tiles, and improvements in general.

Speaking of improvements in general, my sincerest apologies for not having Linux compatibility in the first place. As gameblabla helped basically hand-hold me through, I scotch-taped v1.0 together so that it worked on Windows, but consistently crashed on Linux. Thanks to his efforts (no really, he did like 80% of the digging on this), I was able to see how and where I had scotch tape in the engine, and thankfully patched it up with some real compatibility. I've tested it myself, Sorcery of Uvutu is officially not broken for Linux! And by that logic, it's compatible. However, there have been some reports about glitchy graphics, and I've done my best to fix what I know is glitchy, so please report them if you find them. Here's the link if you missed it:

https://github.com/123outerme/Sorcery-of-SDL/releases
I have - I downloaded it the other day and played it though and enjoyed it Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours