_iPhoenix_ wrote:
Pepperester wrote:
Idea: What if your just overcomplicating things. I mean, TI has released a new OS update for the TI-84 plus CE, so why not just see how the TI connect program loads the file onto the calculator to obtain the access key? In theory, it should work, I guess.

Let's not try to hack TI's methods. Like I said, there's probably a very good reason they don't release them.

The more they try to keep us from it, the greater my curiosity grows and the greater the indulgence of succumbing to it.
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
Let's not try to hack TI's methods.

Well, everyone (that includes TI) knows that it has already been done, in various ways, by several people (and independently). The CE is far from being a security fortress, and is compromised at several levels. But the people who have fun with all that happen to also be the ones (at least AFAIK) making great stuff that would probably not annoy TI that much (or even not really at all, who knows...).
The signing key in particular is something that cannot be "hacked"/"computed" for mathematical reasons in 2017, it's intractable - but it doesn't mean there aren't any other ways. FOr now, the community just happens to do without it, and so far it's been pretty much fine.

_iPhoenix_ wrote:
there's probably a very good reason they don't release [the keys].

Hardly. ASM Programs sure are better on the CE than before, but it's obvious that because people are being kept away from native programming documentation/tools etc. they have to make them by themselves, which obviously means they are going to stumble upon things TI would probably have liked not to be very well known, if you know what I mean.
But as I've just said, they're pretty lucky the people dealing with all that are on the good side of things, making games, utilities, great tools for developers, etc. not things TI would not be happy about (such things get created from time to time "for the technical achievement PoV", but aren't very public, if at all).
PT_ wrote:
Guys, there is simply no way to get the private signing key from TI, unless you burgle in or whatever. If you still think that, read something about public cryptography.

Well then, who lives near TI headquarters and is free tomorrow? Laughing
I don't want to bee TOO technical, but you can use assembly (ASM) trickery to assemble programs into an app ON CALC. For more info, take a look at this post: Cesium
goose121 wrote:
PT_ wrote:
Guys, there is simply no way to get the private signing key from TI, unless you burgle in or whatever. If you still think that, read something about public cryptography.

Well then, who lives near TI headquarters and is free tomorrow? 0x5

There are several excellent reasons what it is good that TI hasn’t released the signing key, namely that people would undoubtedly use it to run programs that don’t get deleted when the RAM/Archive/Flash is cleared. This is HORRIBLE for state testing, and would require TI to release a new calc JUST for that purpose, perhaps even not allowing apps or ASM programs!!

I think we should stop (if it has started) persuading/pestering/attacking TI into releasing the signing key. They have many valid reasons why they shouldn’t release it.

I think there have been no less than 8 topics on this from when I first joined Cemetech.

Edit: oh wait... this is one of them....
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
goose121 wrote:
PT_ wrote:

Well then, who lives near TI headquarters and is free tomorrow? 0x5

There are several excellent reasons what it is good that TI hasn’t released the signing key, namely that people would undoubtedly use it to run programs that don’t get deleted when the RAM/Archive/Flash is cleared. This is HORRIBLE for state testing, and would require TI to release a new calc JUST for that purpose, perhaps even not allowing apps or ASM programs!!

I think we should stop (if it has started) persuading/pestering/attacking TI into releasing the signing key. They have many valid reasons why they shouldn’t release it.

I think there have been no less than 8 topics on this from when I first joined Cemetech.

I was joking. I understand that there are many business reasons that they don't do it, and that this is a good thing.
Or we could all be very patient and just wait the 10-15 years for them to release it. Cause by then, they'll have something new out.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours