I've had a TI-84+SE for a while with an LCD that was mostly broken and no real reason to fix it. A few days ago I decided to just take it apart and attempt to turn it into a Raspberry Pi Linux machine. I made a plan and did not need the function keys, and of course the TI's LCD would be of no use either. I glued the function keys onto the inside of the calculator and cut the function key bits off of the keyboard mat as well, to make room for whatever small monitor I decide to put on the inside of the machine. Now all I need from the circuit board is the buttons, and not the LCD -- however I'm not quite sure exactly what I would remove/cut from the board to allow room for the new screen while also leaving the button contacts operational as usual. If possible, I'd also like to remove the contacts just for the function keys.

EDIT: I've removed the ribbon cable going from the motherboard to the LCD, however it seems that the LCD is firmly attached to the motherboard unlike the 83+. Is there a good way to pry this off without damaging the motherboard?
Is the LCD connected via glue of some sort or screws, if it glue or anything similar, i would get a blowdryer and heat the glue back to its liquid state for easy (but careful) removal. Just an idea. Idea Razz
Good idea, I'll try that. Are you sure it wouldn't damage any other components on the calculator?
Good answer, im not sure if the other parts are glued down. If they are then just blow away from those parts. If you cant blow on it without melting the other glue, i would try putting a cold dry rag/towel (not wet of course) over the other parts that you think could be harmed. Idea Good Idea

EDIT: Sorry for the late response BTW.
Yeah I already got the LCD off a few days ago. The hair dryer didn't work, so I just used a small flathead screwdriver and wedged it in and it came off with enough elbow grease. I've finally come up with a plan for the final machine, now the only issue is trying to get half-decent parts without absurd shipping costs like some online sellers like to use. I want RadioShack back

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours