I'm just curious to see what people think about this, because my girlfriend is trigendered and it seems to me that lots of people don't like that and they just pretend that its not a thing, when it definitely is...
I'm open to your guys's opinions and feeling or whatever Smile
Everyone is awesome. The real question we should be asking is how that makes you feel.
MateoConLechuga wrote:
Everyone is awesome. The real question we should be asking is how that makes you feel.

Well, personally i don't really care. I love Sky (that's my girlfriend) whether shes female, male or agender... she's the same person :3
Pieman7373 wrote:
MateoConLechuga wrote:

Well, personally i don't really care. I love Sky (that's my girlfriend) whether shes female, male or agender... she's the same person :3

Then as long as you care who cares what other people think Razz They haven't shared the same experiences or been through any of the same things. In my opinion I think that people are just people; they can maintain whatever sexuality they desire as long as it is what they want. Being happy with who you are is far more important than what others may think; but that's just my opinion too so take it with a grain of salt.
MateoConLechuga wrote:

I don't want to throw myself in the fray (guess I just did - wee), but I don't really like this tone - it implies the OP's perhaps very disagreeable stance should be elicited.

The discussion can be intensely debated, even working from the fact that we respect people's opinions despite their personal backgrounds.

I wouldn't want this topic deleted in the name of censorship. But because we're a calculator community, because the stances taken on this topic can be often personal, I think it would be better to find these opinions and reasons somewhere else.
oldmud0 wrote:
MateoConLechuga wrote:
The discussion can be intensely debated, even working from the fact that we respect people's opinions despite their personal backgrounds.

It can't be debated. The discussion is already over. Feel free to keep posting in here though and bringing it back up Wink
MateoConLechuga wrote:
Everyone is awesome.

I have a good friend who is trigender and he (he's a he today, I checked) is pretty much the most awesome non-programmer I know.
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
I have a good friend who is trigender and he (he's a he today, I checked) is pretty much the most awesome non-programmer I know.

Hooray! I am glad that there are more people other than just my girlfriend Smile

I'll admit, i sometimes accidentally say "her" when Sky's a he, but she understands Smile

(sometimes it makes my brain hurt, lol)
I'm fine with gender queer people, but what I really want to know is what would this condition classify as. Is it some form of gender dysphoria? Is it related to something else in their brain chemistry? These are interesting questions and I'd really like to see it documented since it's so rare.
To poke my head for a moment, it seems like everyone's on board with the "Be Excellent To Each Other" plan, which seems to be working well. Very Happy
Zaalane wrote:
I'm fine with gender queer people, but what I really want to know is what would this condition classify as. Is it some form of gender dysphoria? Is it related to something else in their brain chemistry? These are interesting questions and I'd really like to see it documented since it's so rare.

There definitely is dysphoria, for my gf at least, especially when she is male when she is on her period... I am probably not the best person to ask, but you could talk to her somehow, maybe...
Penis = Male
Not penis = female

I believe that as a human being any person has the right to be homosexual/ do whatever they want with whomever they want, and should be legally treated like any other person. However as far as I am concerned, "changing" gender without ever getting surgery is bending reality. However if a person does decide to get surgery, they are, once again, 100% within their right to do so as a human being.
I, though being a completely boyish male, am open to the idea of "genderqueer" people. What interests me is not the politics of this, but the science. The mindset right now seems to be of the 'listen to your feelings' in our culture, which is ok to a degree. At some point I'd love to see a scientific report on these LGBT phenomena. As far as genderqueer people go, I can understand scientifically how one could be more 'boy' in their brain but still have female anatomy and hormone release.

The whole 'gender fluid' subset is quite a curious one, however, because its existence can only be explained by near-random brain fluctuations that follow circadian rhythms exactly. Personally, I think this is a little outlandish, but then again, science can give us the answers!

Homosexuality is also a very strange thing, though it is clearly existent. If Darwin's theory of evolution stands, it would make it highly unlikely that homosexuals would exist for the simple reason that they are far less likely to breed. I would love to find out why it has prevailed after millennia of nature trying to suppress it.

P.S. Do not take me as transphobic or sexist or anything, because I'm not. I'm only curious as to the biological cause of these phenomena.
CalcMeister wrote:
I would love to find out why it has prevailed after millennia of nature trying to suppress it.

One hypothesis is that the genetic variants that make an individual of one sex more likely to be homosexual would make an individual of the other sex more likely to reproduce. So, while the existence of these variants may make some individuals reproduce less, they make the species or group as a whole reproduce more and therefore are not suppressed by the evolutionary process, but actually kept.
CtrlEng wrote:
One hypothesis is that the genetic variants that make an individual of one sex more likely to be homosexual would make an individual of the other sex more likely to reproduce. So, while the existence of these variants may make some individuals reproduce less, they make the species or group as a whole reproduce more and therefore are not suppressed by the evolutionary process, but actually kept.

Hm I actually think that is an interesting hypothesis. I still think that it has to do a lot with environmental and personal experiences as well; and might not be entirely genetic related. Of course I can't know which I guess is okay; you don't know what you don't know.
Personally, I have never understood transgender/trigenders. Don't take that the wrong way, I don't care what people do with their personal lives, it doesn't affect me or the way I think about them. What I'm saying is that having never experienced any desire to change my gender or anything like that, so I can't say I understand people who do. I know that gender dysphoria is a real thing, but certainly doesn't affect every single transgender. I don't think changing wanting to change your gender depending on your mood is a result of gender dysphoria and instead something that is done because the person wants to, which is (in my opinion) not a valid reason. I agree with c4ooo that to change one's gender, they have to have surgery (i.e saying that you're a girl today when you were a boy yesterday doesn't change your gender. Because this is my opinion, it just means I wouldn't ever
do it, not that I view it as wrong (just illogical).
Sex depends upon your biological chromosome map, in a broad sense two X's mean female and an X and Y mean male.
Gender, or more specifically gender expression, is what sex you believe you identify with most. This in turn is usually what sex you portray to the outside world.

Changing your gender is possible. changing your sex is not, even if you take hormones, transplant organs, etc.
Sure, but gender has to mean something more than that. If gender doesn't have anything to do with genitalia, then there is no reason to ever change your gender. Beyond physical differences, you can portray whatever you want to the world. If you want to cross dress, do it. But you don't have to change your gender to do that. If it's the sex you identify most with, fine, there are differences in personality between male and female, but again, no need to change your gender because you think you are more like a stereotypical man/woman.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours