Hello ladies and gentlemen!

It was a rather long time ago that Code Golf - The Reboot was active, and I enjoyed it so much, that I decided it would be fun to pick that up again. So here I am with a new task. Don't know what Code Golf is? Check some old topics. You have one week to complete this task, and entries should be submitted by sending a PM to me. Without any further ado, here is your task:

Write a program that inputs a positive integer and outputs the Belgium k-number of the input. Of course, you have no idea what a Belgium k-number is, so let me explain that first. Let k be one of the integers 0-9. The input N has the Belgium k-number, if N occurs in the increasing sequence which starts with k, and the difference between 2 consecutive numbers in the sequence are the same as the digits of N. See this for a better explanation. Let me give an example.

Code:
k = 7, N = 85
Sequence starts with 7
7  + 8 = 15
15 + 5 = 20
20 + 8 = 28
28 + 5 = 33
33 + 8 = 41
41 + 5 = 46
46 + 8 = 54
54 + 5 = 59
59 + 8 = 67
67 + 5 = 72
72 + 8 = 80
80 + 5 = 85
STOP

As you can see, 85 is in the sequence (7, 15, 20, 28, 33..), which means 85 as Belgium k-number 7.

Other example:

Code:
k = 7, N = 152
Sequence starts with 7
7  + 1 = 8
8  + 5 = 13
13 + 2 = 15
15 + 1 = 16
16 + 5 = 21
21 + 2 = 23
23 + 1 = 24

Providing that ANY input N>9 has at least 1 Belgium k-number, find one of the Belgium k-numbers with any input.

Good luck! Smile

I've no idea if this is a simple or a hard task, we will see later!
I'm at 51 bytes, and I don't think it is possible to optimize further, but I've been wrong before.

Edit: PT_ is at 48, and somehow found an optimization in mine?!
My O(n) version is also 48 bytes, but my O(log(n)) version is 42 bytes, which takes 1/3 of a second to compute that 999999999999 is a Belgian-9 number Very Happy

Edit: I just optimized the O(n) version to 41 40 bytes. Sad
Entry submitted. I think I've optimized it as much as I can.
Sorry if I was not clear, but your program should input the variable, you can't assume N (or any other variable) is set before the program runs. In TI-BASIC, it looks like
Code:
Input N
or something similar. With Assembly, you are allowed to fetch the input from Ans. It should display/set in Ans at least one k-number.
Wait, how are we counting the size of a program? Bytes of code, or size in the menu (code + 9 + name length)?
Bytes of code, minus the header.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours