That looks really good!!! Maybe adding some bubbles and a few fish in the background would tidy up the program a bit because there are only 5 colors, blue, light blue, yellow, white, and black. But otherwise, it seems like a great game to play! I can't wait to see your air entry.
I added the angler as a monster you can fight against as well as improved the battle AI. Also, I added 2 entries to the log explaining battles as well as rearranged the log.

My current goals are to add the repair option and a way to collect more oxygen (both will be minigames)
This will be my last progress update before I submit my program.

Okay, so first of all, the final To-Do list:
-Add oxygen gathering mini-game and log entry
-Improve random event picking algorithm so you don't get the same event 20 times in a row
-Balance changes - oxygen loss, monster damage and health, player damage, buff caves maybe
-Optimization
-Add finishing cut scene
-Create the readme

I will not be able to finish the program before the deadline, but I will make it entirely playable and in a state so that it could be done if I wanted it to. However, I will continue to work on it.

I added the repair sub option and the game instructions. You have to try to stop the meter when it reaches full for maximum repair (I am going to speed it up so that its harder).

And to reply to TheGeekyScientist:
TheGeekyScientist wrote:
That looks really good!!! Maybe adding some bubbles and a few fish in the background would tidy up the program a bit because there are only 5 colors, blue, light blue, yellow, white, and black. But otherwise, it seems like a great game to play! I can't wait to see your air entry.

I purposely made the color scheme limited and dark. You are at the bottom of the ocean and I think adding colors would make it look messy.

The program is current 21500 bytes and will require standard c libraries.
Sea entry:
https://www.cemetech.net/programs/index.php?mode=file&id=1611

I just submitted my sea entry and will edit this post with a link once it is submitted to archives.
Hopefully it does well as I spent a ton of time on it. The final product is just under 27000 bytes.
It still needs a lot of optimization and more random obstacles, but is playable.

Going forward, here is my To-Do list:
-Optimization
-More obstacles
-Improve the random number generator
-Balance changes (its too easy at the moment)
-Add saving

I realize this is almost everything from before, but adding the oxygen-gathering minigame took longer than I thought it would.

For my air game, it will be something more arcade-like. I can't spend as much time as I did on Marianas on another program. Also, I leave for vacation soon so I have less time to work on this.
Now that I submitted my sea entry I decided to start work on my air entry. So far I decided to go with a flappy bird type game, but if anyone has any better ideas I'd love to hear them. What you see in the gif is made in ICE and includes acceleration and gravity. The parts of the pipe being left behind is an issue with the gif recording not the actual game.
Progress update because I've done I lot of work on this:
-Added randomly generated pipes
-Made it so that everything flows right when pipes reach top/bottom of screen (this took forever)
I don't know how, but I must of slowed down the game so I thought it was an error with CEmu but it turns out it was because I was updating everything every 500 loops instead of every 50. Anyway, I fixed that and CEmu runs it insanely fast... even though emulation speed in 100%. So for the gif recording, I slowed the program down to 2% of what it was at.
(don't worry, it runs smoother on the calc than what is shown in the gif)

My todo list is now to add sprite(s) and collision detection. I am leaving on Friday so I have until then to finish.
Air entry:
https://www.cemetech.net/programs/index.php?mode=file&id=1620

I submitted my entry to archives!

Here is what I have done:
-added collision detection
-added it keeping track of your score
-added main menu and ability to change speed of program
-decided not to add sprites and keep it simple

It looks and runs poorly on CEmu (I encourage everyone to use it on a real calc), but here is a gif.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours