Ok, so competition is pretty big right now, and I know I can't compete with the speed of ICE or ASM but I'm going to have a go at this anyways in BASIC. (I really need to learn something other than BASIC Razz).

I have an idea for Land, but if competition is too high for land, I may just change the code and sprites a little so it'll work for water.
I'm going to have to think about what I'm going to do with air, I'd love to submit CSP for air, but I'm worried I wont have enough time for that. When I first started programming though I made a game called JPL, it was very sloppy coding full of memory leaks and things but I may be able to take the idea and optimize it.

I don't know how much of my ideas I'm going to release on here, but I will say I'm using Plot-Sprites. I'm using then since they're fairly fast at being displayed and so I can stress test AAIONIA.

This is my first contest so I don't know how well I'll document my progress, but I'll give it my best! Very Happy
Yay, we are CC20 BASIC buddies!
Whoa, I thought I posted an update here long ago. I hope it wasn't in the wrong thread! Razz

Uh, well I'm still at this for the water competition. Mine's going to be a fast paced game of decisions in PURE BASIC.

You have 3 docks, a revenue requirement, and a time limit. Within the time limit, you must agree to take in certain barges carrying a variety of goods (Chairs, books, etc. (even an Easter egg Very Happy) ). Each barge will give you a different reward (in $) for letting you dump its cargo off at your docks.

What will make this game tense, is that the barges take some time to unload the cargo and the option to take in another barge only lasts for a few seconds. You can hold up to 3 barges at one time but if every spot is full, you must decide whether to reject a currently unloading barge (and accept an incoming barge), or reject incoming barges.

I may even include a reputation system so if you reject a barge, you lose reputation.

I don't currently have any screenshots as I'm working on the graphics right now, but I will soon!
Good new! My program is finally (technically) playable! I just beat level 1 and I'm currently working on the animations and rest of the levels! Very Happy

I've spent like 14 hours total so far on this program, it'd better work when I turn it in! : P
TheLastMillennial wrote:
Good new! My program is finally (technically) playable! I just beat level 1 and I'm currently working on the animations and rest of the levels! Very Happy

I've spent like 14 hours total so far on this program, it'd better work when I turn it in! : P

Awesome! I'm really excited to see this!
14 hours is nothing... I've spent at least 90 (~12 sleepless nights and a 16 hour car ride, and various other times to fend off boredom) on mine, and I'm not even done implementing basic gameplay features! I wasn't very keen at staying on task in the car, though, I played games on my phone for about 8 hours, slept for 5 hours, and did CC20 programming for about 12 min. The rest was spent eating and attempting to socialize with my family.
My code is confusing me, not that it's not working, it's that it's working and I don't know why. I should hopefully figure it out, but that's not what this post is about. Razz

Anyways related to my problem above, I'm trying to use a picture as my background. Unfortunately whenever I draw a point, it erases the entire pic and I have to redraw it. This looks pretty bad aesthetically so I was wondering if there was a way to store my picture as a background image.

necro edit: image link was broken so I replaced it with a working one.
Hey, I got (most) of everything working!

I may add things like:
*Perks (increased chance of getting a money barge, better reputation, etc.)
*More stations to take care of.

Any suggestions are welcome Very Happy

EDIT: I've been trying to get an animation of the barge entering the dock, but I cant seem to do that without having to redraw the dock and redrawing the dock takes forever. If I cant figure it out soon I may just omit it for the contest.
Very nice!!! I can't think of any suggestions mainly because it is in Basic so I wouldn't expect as much as something in C or ASM and also because it looks terrific to me! And I just got an idea... add a cool intro Very Happy.
Maybe store the screen before you are given the option to accept/reject a boat. That way you wouldn't have to redraw the boats already at the dock.
Also, for your animation - I haven't used plot sprites much but if you could give them a solid background (so it would be a filled in rectangle) you could use a for loop that displays the sprite at ever decreasing x values and then draws a line behind the barge that erases the part of the last barge displayed that sticks out from behind the current barge (if that makes sense).
dankcalculatorbro wrote:
Maybe store the screen before you are given the option to accept/reject a boat. That way you wouldn't have to redraw the boats already at the dock.

Yeah, I've tried that, but for some reason it will decide to capture the screen at the wrong time and so when I recall the picture it shows something other than the dock. What I've done to compromise is capture the screen once right after the dock gets drawn for the first time, then just recalled that picture and overlapped everything else over it.

dankcalculatorbro wrote:

Also, for your animation - I haven't used plot sprites much but if you could give them a solid background (so it would be a filled in rectangle) you could use a for loop that displays the sprite at ever decreasing x values and then draws a line behind the barge that erases the part of the last barge displayed that sticks out from behind the current barge (if that makes sense).

The erasing the sprite isn't the problem, that automatically happens when you draw the plot-sprite again. My problem is that it's also erasing the dock. I've tried recalling the dock pic then moving the sprite a little more, but constantly recalling the dock is slow and looks pretty bad. Sad
Here's the solution: after you are son drawing the dock for the first time, and before you draw anything else to the screen, save it as a pic variable. You can recall that pic instead of redrawing the whole dock.
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
Here's the solution: after you are son drawing the dock for the first time, and before you draw anything else to the screen, save it as a pic variable. You can recall that pic instead of redrawing the whole dock.
I must have not explained well, yeah that's what I've been doing. Smiling Cat I just wanted a cat face. : P
Hey, I've finally got my intro done! this took me like 13 hours to do. Rolling Eyes

All right! So it's done! It's a little slower than I'd like, but overall I'm happy with it.
I had my mom, who is an expert at breaking electronics, test it and no errors occurred! Very Happy

I'm working on the ReadMe but other than that, I'm finished with water.

EDIT: Just for documentation, (since my emails have been pretty unreliable) I have just emailed my submission to contest [at] cemetech.net Smile
So I wasn't sure what I was going to do for the air competition. but when I was looking through old backups, I found my first game I ever made for the CE. I had called it JPL. It was pretty poorly written and full of memory leaks since I had only been programming for a few months prior. But at the time of completion I was pretty proud of it.

It pretty much was like this:
You were a rocket trying to escape a black hole (don't question the realism Razz ). You had to dodge space debris while trying to reach your space station. I was so into this game, I even added the option to fly a Tie-fighter from Star Wars! Laughing

It should be noted that these gifs are from the original game I made, not what I'm going to submit. Smile

This shows the main game. (I accidently had CEmu at %140 throttle for the first few rounds)

This shows the end when you would 'Win'.

So for my air entry (I took space as being acceptable) I'm going to remake this game to the graph screen, but! I'm going to take my builder from CSP and modify it so people can make their own ships! (I am allowed to do this right?)

EDIT:
I just thought that, duh, just make your craft as small as possible to win! So I'm going to make a counter to that. The shorter your craft, the faster the debris will fall. The thinner your craft, the fatter the debris will be. Razz

If possible, I may add realistic damage so whenever you get hit, that part of the ship will 'fall off'. it may be slow, but it'd be interesting to try.
Nice intro! Looking good Very Happy
All right! My entry just got accepted into the archives so here is the link!
Too Many Boats!
Tell me what you like and dislike and would like to see implemented!
Ok, so I learned that some people don't want to upgrade to OS 5.2. So since compatibility seems to be an issue; I'm going to make my (one) program compatible with all CE OS's, the CSE, and the TI-83/84+. That's right boys, compatibility at it's finest! Very Happy

However since I'm going on vacation and because I'm worried about speed for my collision, I'm most likely going to have to make this for the home screen. Neutral
TheLastMillennial wrote:
Ok, so I learned that some people don't want to upgrade to OS 5.2. So since compatibility seems to be an issue; I'm going to make my (one) program compatible with all CE OS's, the CSE, and the TI-83/84+. That's right boys, compatibility at it's finest! Very Happy

This is why features added after the initial release of the OS are BASICally useless for programs intended for others to use.
jonbush wrote:
TheLastMillennial wrote:

This is why features added after the initial release of the OS are BASICally useless for programs intended for others to use.

Personally, I think that it is highly beneficial to upgrade always. This is TI's job to provide backwards compatibility; not yours. Smile Anywho; great work on your contest entries so far! Very Happy

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours