There are quite a few technical reasons to move spawn chunks and end portal away from player spawn:

Currently, entities can't be transported between the end and the overworld. It is currently impossible to get Creepers, Ghast, Wither Skeletons, Blazes, and other uncatchable mobs to the end, and impossible to get Shulkers and invulnerable End Crystals back to the Overworld. Also, items dropped into the portal can only be collected on the other side by players, as hoppers cannot be placed at spawn. Farms in the end that require XP cannot be automated, as Endermen cannot be player-killed automatically without click scripts (they teleport away from potions and arrows, and tamed wolves won't attack them), and XP or monsters from spawners cannot be sent through the end portal to supply XP.

The least laggy farms are those that never runs while players are online. However, farms like this cannot be created without access to the spawn chunks. Hoppers in spawn chunks can be used to keep certain chunks loaded unless a redstone signal from a player detector is active. Also, some farms must be inside the spawn chunks to work, or require items to be thrown into a nether or end portal every ten seconds, but dispenser mechanisms stop working when chunks unload, breaking the farm.

While most of these are mild annoyances, they can be somewhat limiting on the types of things that are possible to build. I have designed a few farms that work in vanilla, but I couldn't build on the server because of these limitations.

As an alternative, would it be possible to exclude the underground (stone only) section of spawn from the spawn protection, so that things could be built in the ugly part of the spawn chunks, and either add end portals around the world or sell the portal frames as a server shop?
/setworldspawn ~ ~ ~
/clone (Spawn lobby)
Quote:

/setworldspawn ~ ~ ~
/clone (Spawn lobby)

No, that wouldn't work. That would just remove the protection from the player spawn. I am suggesting that the technical spawn location used by the game for things like end portals be moved away from the spawn for players (the giant tree which needs protection because it was built in Creative) and into an area in which players can build.
xMarminq_ wrote:
/setworldspawn ~ ~ ~
/clone (Spawn lobby)

Unfortunately it's not that simple.
There are several things I see wrong with this:

1) /clone has a block limit that the spawn lobby exceeds massively!
2) There's no point in moving the actual spawn lobby
3) There is a plugin involved (idk which one) that spawns you on a single block. /setworldspawn doesn't do that, it sets a chunk. (iirc)
4) The commands given fail to remove player protection from spawn, in the requested area.

Razz

Edit: end portal frames in a player shop is a seriously bad idea, for the same reason bedrock in a player shop is a horrible idea.
Sorry, I didn't really reply to this in any particular order. Haha

commandblockguy wrote:
would it be possible to exclude the underground (stone only) section of spawn from the spawn protection, so that things could be built in the ugly part of the spawn chunks, and either add end portals around the world or sell the portal frames as a server shop?

No. There are numerous Easter eggs located in the caves and "carved" into the areas below the ground in spawn and by doing so would put them at risk of being destroyed, mined of their resources and, no longer enjoyable by future players who aimless wander around Spawn.

What about removing the protections except for those locations? Well, that'd defeat the purpose of an easter egg. One of them goes down to like 40 or so, If we were to just open up on side of the spawn chunks to be built/tunnled into it'd give a good idea of what sides the Easter eggs are on. Even if we just protect the Easter eggs themselves, it'd give away their location if a player was mining then all-the-sudden hit a location they couldn't. The could certainly work around it but then they'd know the rough idea of where that particular easter egg is.

Quote:
The least laggy farms are those that never runs while players are online. However, farms like this cannot be created without access to the spawn chunks.

Wouldn't it still be taking server ticks to run? But still, a farm that runs when a player is off-line is redundant. We have an anti-afk rule for a reason, we want players to play on the server. If a player could farm stuff while they were offline that wouldn't be fair. We'd have everyone doing it, if you're having trouble farming everything you need when you're online then players should prioritize and work with other players.

Kind of something I touched on here. I'm sure I said the following in a post somewhere but basically, work with the other players to farm what you need. If someone has a farm for Item X, and you want that Item. And You have a Farm for Item H, and they want that item then trade with them. Every player doesn't need to farm everything.

I'm not saying there can only be one farm of each item/mob on a server, if you can make a farm to undersell someone then great. But let's be mindful and only farm what we can sell and use. Farming 2,000 melons a day isn't helping if you only sell 100 and consume 5. Anyways, circling back around to the main point, we don't need to waste server resources on farms that run when players are offline. It would basically circumvent the anti-afk rule we have.

Quote:
Also, some farms must be inside the spawn chunks to work, or require items to be thrown into a nether or end portal every ten seconds, but dispenser mechanisms stop working when chunks unload, breaking the farm.

I don't really see the problem here. What farm could you possibly need that drops items through an end or nether portal? In a time where we're trying to be conservative about server resources and lag this just sounds like a really bad idea. Stopping a farm when the chunks unload is inherently a good thing to keeping the sever responsive.

Don't forget that just because we've curbed the current TPS issue doesn't mean we can go and make some intensive farms. We need to be mindful of other players experience and it's possible we may lower the RAM to what it was previously. There's some long term plans that we've got in the works regarding the MC Server (not just for the site!) - so it's best we hold tight and try and be as efficient as possible in terms of server usage.

Quote:
Hoppers in spawn chunks can be used to keep certain chunks loaded unless a redstone signal from a player detector is active.

This doesn't make sense. How can a hopper in spawn keep an arbitrary chunk loaded else where on the server? Nonetheless, a mechanism like this would not be allowed.

Quote:
entities can't be transported between the end and the overworld. It is currently impossible to get Creepers, Ghast, Wither Skeletons, Blazes, and other uncatchable mobs to the end

What. Why is this even important? What purpose could a Ghast serve in the end? A creeper? Blazes?

Quote:
Also, items dropped into the portal can only be collected on the other side by players, as hoppers cannot be placed at spawn. Farms in the end that require XP cannot be automated, as Endermen cannot be player-killed automatically without click scripts (they teleport away from potions and arrows, and tamed wolves won't attack them), and XP or monsters from spawners cannot be sent through the end portal to supply XP.

Each server may have a unique set of challenges. This is ours. Additionally, I don't see the problem. There's an efficient farm located in The End which prevents the Endermen from teleporting away.
There is another active end portal in the world. The one in spawn was put there for convenience.

I'm also confused as to why we need any other mob types in the end.
tifreak8x wrote:
There is another active end portal in the world. The one in spawn was put there for convenience.

I'm also confused as to why we need any other mob types in the end.

Oh, I was totally unaware that there was more than one portal. Where is it located?
As for why mobs are needed in the end, why is end stone needed in the Overworld? It gives more decoration options. Also, it would be near impossible to complete the "how did we get here?" advancement without moving a wither skelly to the end or a shulker back to the Overworld. Mobs also have special properties. For example, a Ghast could theoretically be used as a lag-friendly way to collect items if a player died inside of their base, using the large hitbox of the ghast along with ice and a minecart.
Quote:
We have an anti-afk rule for a reason, we want players to play on the server.

I always assumed that the no-afk rule was to save server resources. Some of my least favorite moments on the server we're when I was sitting at the keyboard waiting for resources for a project to come in. This might just be me, but I would be more likely to play if I knew that all the materials for my next project were waiting for me in the chests of my farms, ready for me to start right away, than if I felt obligated to stand around and wait until I had enough resources. And it's not like I could go mining while the farms worked in the background, as the chunks unload when you aren't nearby, or build something I didn't feel motivated to build and use up some of the resources I needed for the project I wanted to work on. I also try to keep farms separate from each other to reduce lag.
Standing around waiting for a farm to work is just taking server resources away from other players, which could be taken up during the night when other players are unaffected.

Also, not all types of farm work without players nearby even if the chunks are loaded. Mob farms and most plant farms won't process at all unless loaded by a player.

Quote:
How can a hopper in spawn keep an arbitrary chunk loaded else where on the server?

Hoppers without a redstone signal applied and with an item inside pointing into a unloaded chunk will lazy-load that chunk, so that entities inside are not processed, using much less resources than regular chunks. When a lazy chunk is surrounded by a radius of 2 chunks that are lazy or regularly loaded, it is loaded as usual, allowing farms to operate normally. A trail of hoppers can be led from a chunk loaded by spawn or a player can be used to conditionally lazy load chunks. If mobs are placed in lazy chunks, they will count towards the mob cap, but not be processed, which actually improves TPS in most cases.
Quote:
One of them goes down to like 40 or so, If we were to just open up on side of the spawn chunks to be built/tunnled into it'd give a good idea of what sides the Easter eggs are on

If the protection was removed just below Y=40, that is probably enough room to farm most items that could be farmed with 255 blocks of space, besides an iron farm, which are huge and need sky access, and would be out of place basically anywhere inside the spawn chunks except inside the Cemetech blimp. Probably best not to remove protection there.
commandblockguy wrote:
I always assumed that the no-afk rule was to save server resources.

It's sort of two-fold. It's to save the server resources but to also encourage players to play. As much as we tout ourselves as a creative survival, in that we encourage players to build wonderful and amazing builds. We just hope you guys will spend time online and make it a welcoming community in return.

Quote:
This might just be me, but I would be more likely to play if I knew that all the materials for my next project were waiting for me in the chests of my farms, ready for me to start right away, than if I felt obligated to stand around and wait until I had enough resources.

Quote:
Standing around waiting for a farm to work is just taking server resources away from other players, which could be taken up during the night when other players are unaffected.

Your time for our server resources is really all we ask.

Quote:
And it's not like I could go mining while the farms worked in the background, as the chunks unload when you aren't nearby, or build something I didn't feel motivated to build and use up some of the resources I needed for the project I wanted to work on. I also try to keep farms separate from each other to reduce lag.

We greatly appreciate the latter, perhaps you could work with other server members if they have farms for items you need. So that way you can obtain the resources you need while you're offline.

Quote:
Also, not all types of farm work without players nearby even if the chunks are loaded. Mob farms and most plant farms won't process at all unless loaded by a player.

That's pretty beneficial, in our opinion. That way farms aren't running when players are out and about. If every player had farms running while they were away from their town? We'd probably have larger TPS issues than we originally did. I feel like encouraging members to join your town should be seen as encouragement if you want to have farms active when you're offline. That way the two of you can coordinate, one of you stays in and builds stuff around town while staying near the farms while the other partakes in events and adventuresdot com; switching off every once in a while.

We aren't going to give someone special treatment because then we need to let others do the same or else we get "Well how come THEY get to do it?!" And we don't really have a good answer for that. "Because" doesn't cut it, comes across as elitist and to top it off, is very dismissive.

On top of that, our rules are minor and small in numbers. Since we're all mostly adults - or at least have some selflessness and respect for fellow players - we ask that common sense be applied. In that if something lags the server, a player is mean-spirited or anything else that isn't good natured and common sense game play is not condoned. Just bringing this up as a general reminder to anyone who is reading.

Quote:
If the protection was removed just below Y=40, that is probably enough room to farm most items that could be farmed with 255 blocks of space, besides an iron farm, which are huge and need sky access, and would be out of place basically anywhere inside the spawn chunks except inside the Cemetech blimp. Probably best not to remove protection there.

That was an estimate as I wasn't entirely accurate as I wasn't in front of a computer with MC. But I just checked and it actually goes down to 11. Regardless, even if it did go down to 40 we wouldn't have opened up the area under spawn.