ti84plusce wrote:
How much more time do you think it will take to finish the program?
My update from ten days ago is still very much the current status of things.
I can't wait to see a working version of this. I'd be happy to test if you'd like!
A few questions. Firstly, do you have plans to implement CALCnet in DCS9? On a related note, could I request that you expose an API for creating a persistent hook chain with CALCnet, like for instance have the DCS appvar save a jump address that gets referenced at the end of the CN hook. And will you be creating C header files to use the DCS functions in C programs?
KermMartian wrote:
I'm waiting for the stars to align so that I can share one of the reasons Doors CE has been so significantly delayed.
Is it related to how OS 5.3 has a built-in feature to launch archived programs, no longer requiring the Asm() command and possible conflicts with DCE9's homerun feature?
xlibman wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
I'm waiting for the stars to align so that I can share one of the reasons Doors CE has been so significantly delayed.
Is it related to how OS 5.3 has a built-in feature to launch archived programs, no longer requiring the Asm() command and possible conflicts with DCE9's homerun feature?
Yes, it is related to at least the first two of those three items.
Kerm are you still working on xlibCE
Alvajoy123 wrote:

Yes, I believe so.

look at the last bullet point. Smile
KermMartian wrote:

• Resolve problems with implementing poweroff to ensure that OS will not crash after quitting DCE after poweroff/APD.
  • Ensure that memory leak when DCE ran itself via HomeRun is resolved.
  • Test C/ASM library loading from Mateo within DCE
  • Make hook chainer work properly, at least with GetKeyHook and AppChangeHook.
  • Make shell functions called via ExecArcHook put their cleanup routines in safeRAM instead of assuming the layout of Archive hasn't changed. Done for AppChangeHook, not yet for ParserHook.
  • Make editing both archived and Unarchived programs from the home screen work. Sorted and tested, other than implementing the previous item.
  • Debug crash when loading new DCE version over old on emulator. -> Probably caused by HomeRun pointing to the wrong place because the stub is not loaded. Yep, caused by stub not holding proper contents. Need to detect this and let the OS handle running the program instead. Possibly (untested) fixed. Relies on following item.
  • HomeRun ParserHook uses absolute calls to ParserHookChkPrgm, getHomescreenToken, and getHomescreenByte. This makes it crash it many circumstances.
  • Consider label/home/end menu
  • Create small core ASM library for DCE programs?
  • Graphical artifacts on homescreen as reported by tr1p1ea
  • xLIBCE! Very much underway.
TheLastMillennial wrote:
Alvajoy123 wrote:

Yes, I believe so.

look at the last bullet point. Smile
KermMartian wrote:

• Resolve problems with implementing poweroff to ensure that OS will not crash after quitting DCE after poweroff/APD.
  • Ensure that memory leak when DCE ran itself via HomeRun is resolved.
  • Test C/ASM library loading from Mateo within DCE
  • Make hook chainer work properly, at least with GetKeyHook and AppChangeHook.
  • Make shell functions called via ExecArcHook put their cleanup routines in safeRAM instead of assuming the layout of Archive hasn't changed. Done for AppChangeHook, not yet for ParserHook.
  • Make editing both archived and Unarchived programs from the home screen work. Sorted and tested, other than implementing the previous item.
  • Debug crash when loading new DCE version over old on emulator. -> Probably caused by HomeRun pointing to the wrong place because the stub is not loaded. Yep, caused by stub not holding proper contents. Need to detect this and let the OS handle running the program instead. Possibly (untested) fixed. Relies on following item.
  • HomeRun ParserHook uses absolute calls to ParserHookChkPrgm, getHomescreenToken, and getHomescreenByte. This makes it crash it many circumstances.
  • Consider label/home/end menu
  • Create small core ASM library for DCE programs?
  • Graphical artifacts on homescreen as reported by tr1p1ea
  • xLIBCE! Very much underway.

I believe tr1p1ea is actually the one who is porting xlibC to the CE, and I also believe that the last time Kerm pronounced himself on the subject, he said the libs were essentially done.
I'd imagine Kerm is rather sick of saying this, so I'll help

Kerm is a busy person, and programming an OS for a freaking graphing calculator should be pretty far down the list of things that are on his mind.

Programming an OS is a HUGE undertaking, even for a well seasoned and extremely talented programmer like Kerm, so even if he had, say, 2 hours a day (which is more than he could currently do, I'd think) it would still take a while.

The best thing we can do is respect that he is busy and cannot work on this project, and wait.
Shell, not OS Wink
Thanks for saying what I would have said otherwise, _iPhoenix_ (and for the important distinction, Luxen Wink). My life has only been getting increasingly problematic over the last years and most recently last two weeks, so I'm afraid I have almost no mental bandwidth for Doors CE. On the other hand, don't despair and take that as a sign that it's not going to be released. I've been working relatively hard on what it will take to make the Hybrid BASIC libraries be available, and if that can be within the Doors CE shell, I hope it will be. I just need to ask for you all's continued patience as I try to get the pieces of my life to fit together again.
Kerm, take what time you need to get yourself together, as Doors does come second to anyone's life, especially yours Smile
I hope that life turns around for you! You have always been a super great person; and whatever may be going on I wish you the best of luck and happy thoughts Smile
I will really butcher the intended meaning of the following quote, but for a meaning I find suitable.

"Doors don't slam open"
- John Shanahan (supposedly he's a skater or something like that)

Here's my interpretation:

A slammed door closes very quickly, and this may damage the door.

However, a door may take its sweet old time to open normally, but this leads to a much gentler closing and there shouldn't be any damage to the door.

This is an analogy to the shell, where the door is the shell, the door being open is like like the glorious program release, and the damage to the door indicating a lesser quality program.

I have to write an essay on that quote over the summer (basically just expanding 4 words to 500...), and when I first saw it, this thread was open... Tin foil hat time... (just kidding)
I hope everything gets well no everything will go well and better than before life is try to bring you doesn't mean you should stop does time stop no does your life stop no so will get finished because your the greatest man who made the best for calculators and do you know how many people use calculators? Over 1.3B I this project gets finished and becomes the best of the best all and I and everyone wants to do is to get better to finish this project the best project

*Sorry if I spelled something gbroad correction did it
*From the best encourager ever Smile Doors CS 7
how are things going guys?
Is there any way that Plus CE will accept Doors 8?
Bookworm3616 wrote:

No. The CE and CSE (target of Doors 8) are different in such way that almost every assembly program doesn't work on both calculator.
PT_ wrote:
Bookworm3616 wrote:

No. The CE and CSE (target of Doors Cool are different in such way that almost every assembly program doesn't work on both calculator.

Thanks. Smile I have been trying for a bit and didn't know if there was a backhanded way to do it.
Can't DCE9 technically be made into an App, like Cesium V2.3.X (I'm running 2.3.X on CEmu, got the version of Cesium from GitHub repo, FYI)
SM84CE wrote:
Can't DCE9 technically be made into an App, like Cesium V2.3.X (I'm running 2.3.X on CEmu, got the version of Cesium from GitHub repo, FYI)

No it cannot. Cesium isn't an app, either.

For it to become an app, he would need to know the CE signing key, which is really, really hard to crack (256 bit bytethanks, Runer112 encryption IIRC) and hasn't been released by TI.

We have no intention (IIRC) to get it or steal it, because it would allow cheating on tests, theoretically.

So no, it will not be an APP

It will be a shell, which runs when you turn on your calculator, and is essentially an OS running on the normal OS.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 18 of 27
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours